Community Feedback Needed: Portishead Parking Situation (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2021
South West, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax PVC
Exp
Getting back up to speed (returning after 30yrs lapse)
Portishead Lake Grounds has long been used as a stopover by motorhomes/campervans (there aren't a lot of options elsewhere in the Bristol area and this was a great 'facility' away from housing with cafe & public toilets) but North Somerset council have recently stuck up loads of 'No overnight parking' signs which, even if unenforceable, make it clear we are not welcome (by a few of the locals, at least).

The council have opened a consultation on the introduction of parking charges in the area. While not the best thought out survey, I would encourage any of you who want to protect our options for parking to pitch in. Perhaps suggesting that proper (aire-like) facilities demonstrate a welcoming town and can bring in real revenue to struggling local businesses?

https://n-somerset.inconsult.uk/parkingstrategy2024/consultationHome

It should be noted that the proposed action plan includes the provocative and highly subjective phrase "tackle nuisance parking (camping vans)"...

As a local who walks my dog at the lake grounds daily this really got my back up!
I have only ever seen respectful parking by motorhome/campervans - so assume someone has reported some unwelcome debris once and assumed it was left by a van owner - or a local councillor living nearby doesn't want their view spoiled...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back