since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Interesting ours is 2014

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
This is really interesting, we didn't get a handbook containing information for the automatic, and can't find that information in the online manual, anyone got the page number Minxy anyone.
I had a seperate supplement about the Comfortmatic

20240506_223201.jpg

20240506_223037.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We didn't get anything other than the Laika manual, others were to be sent on to us, but then the virus arrived. Previous owner said they had left all paperwork in a blue bag in the garage, we had seen it when we viewed, but it had 'been mislaid' along with the silver screens they had left.
we had a Fiat book at home as we got 2 with one of our vans, same model other than being an automatic. We both have auto cars, need to check the downloaded handbook for mine, John has everything for his.

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Hi All, latest update.
Vehicle recovered to Fiat Dealer in Luxembourg. All OBD checks done with the pressure sphere on the Transmission Control Unit is showing 75 bar when should read 45 Bar. This lead to a question about the state of the Oil in the TCU. This was changed before my trip last July and it turns out that the servicing dealer used Dot 4 instead of the recommended Oil. Think this might be an issue !!!!:madder:
So Fiat dealer says TCU needs to be replaced as the seals will have been destroyed by the DOT4.
Cost of new unit €4000 plus and no longer available so special order.
My decision not being done in Lux and MH will be repatriated to UK under recovery insurance.
Just arrived back home after hiring a van in Lux to bring my Motorcycle and Hydra Trail Easylift trailer home with most of our stuff.
Got to return the Van to Lux on Friday.
Will be having an interesting meeting with the MD of the Servicing dealer tomorrow!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Hi All, latest update.
Vehicle recovered to Fiat Dealer in Luxembourg. All OBD checks done with the pressure sphere on the Transmission Control Unit is showing 75 bar when should read 45 Bar. This lead to a question about the state of the Oil in the TCU. This was changed before my trip last July and it turns out that the servicing dealer used Dot 4 instead of the recommended Oil. Think this might be an issue !!!!:madder:
So Fiat dealer says TCU needs to be replaced as the seals will have been destroyed by the DOT4.
My decision not being done in Lux and MH will be repatriated to UK under recovery insurance.
Just arrived back home after hiring a van in Lux to bring my Motorcycle and Hydra Trail Easylift trailer home with most of our stuff.
Will be having an interesting meeting with the MD of the Servicing dealer tomorrow!!!
Beeping professional garages 🤬- Amazing it got as far as it did using DOT4 rather than ATF. Your garage will deny using the DOT 4 and just say it was contaminated by the clutch fluid so tough 😠😠

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Whoever did it may have become confused that the complete comfortmatic system has a number of different fluids/oils
Gearbox - a transmission oil
Gearbox hydraulics - A specific fluid, probably only available through Fiat, described in some manuals as including a "Dexron ATF additive"
Clutch hydraulic system - A DOT4 type fluid.

I know that initially (a few years ago) Adams Morey Portsmouth used a generic DOT4 for the clutch system, but now will only use Fiat's specific Tutela version just in case there is something special in it's composition.

It is the clutch hydraulic fluid that needs regular change as it is that which can get contaminated by the gearbox hydraulics if the seals in the TCU start to fail and in turn that affects the slave cylinder in the clutch itself.

One must suspect "your dealer" put the DOT4 fluid into the gearbox hydraulics side, especially if the invoice says they needed 2 litres of the stuff. My manual suggests only 0.050litres is the capacity of the clutch system and some 0.7litres for the activation system.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Got the invoice with DOT4 at 2 litres. Questioned it at the time and they said DOT4 was equivalent.
2 litres 😱. Hopefully they spilled 1.9l on the workshop floor even after filling both reservoirs. Despite all the hoo hah it's a really simple job to change the fluids so not sure how garages get scared by their own shadow when asked to do it and get it so horribly wrong.

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Whoever did it may have become confused that the complete comfortmatic system has a number of different fluids/oils
Gearbox - a transmission oil
Gearbox hydraulics - A specific fluid, probably only available through Fiat, described in some manuals as including a "Dexron ATF additive"
Clutch hydraulic system - A DOT4 type fluid.

I know that initially (a few years ago) Adams Morey Portsmouth used a generic DOT4 for the clutch system, but now will only use Fiat's specific Tutela version just in case there is something special in it's composition.

It is the clutch hydraulic fluid that needs regular change as it is that which can get contaminated by the gearbox hydraulics if the seals in the TCU start to fail and in turn that affects the slave cylinder in the clutch itself.

One must suspect "your dealer" put the DOT4 fluid into the gearbox hydraulics side, especially if the invoice says they needed 2 litres of the stuff. My manual suggests only 0.050litres is the capacity of the clutch system and some 0.7litres for the activation system.
Will keep you posted.

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
2 litres 😱. Hopefully they spilled 1.9l on the workshop floor even after filling both reservoirs. Despite all the hoo hah it's a really simple job to change the fluids so not sure how garages get scared by their own shadow when asked to do it and get it so horribly wrong.
I do hope so.
I know Fiat Dealers can get it wrong and only go for replace with new and bugger the cost.
Next step is get her home and start investigation.
Think there will be a few calls to Simon Potter at Adams Morey in due course.
Has any one had experience of replacing the seals replaced in the TCU or reconditioning the unit?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I do hope so.
I know Fiat Dealers can get it wrong and only go for replace with new and bugger the cost.
Next step is get her home and start investigation.
Think there will be a few calls to Simon Potter at Adams Morey in due course.
Has any one had experience of replacing the seals replaced in the TCU or reconditioning the unit?
Just to be a bit of a pedant but it's the seals in the Master/Slave unit that would need to be replaced. It may cause a bit of confusion if you ask for TCU seals as this is the electronic brain and sits where the clutch pedal normally lives. The Master/Slave unit is the equivalent of the clutch master cylinder in the manual van but it sits above the gearbox next to the hydraulic reservoir for the Comfortmatic solenoids 👍

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Just to be a bit of a pedant but it's the seals in the Master/Slave unit that would need to be replaced. It may cause a bit of confusion if you ask for TCU seals as this is the electronic brain and sits where the clutch pedal normally lives. The Master/Slave unit is the equivalent of the clutch master cylinder in the manual van but it sits above the gearbox next to the hydraulic reservoir for the Comfortmatic solenoids 👍
Thanks dunnah01. Do you know if the Hydraulics are sealed unit?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
When will we find out which garage has done this Faux Pas, so we can avoid it, or double check if they’ve used the correct stuff?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
When will we find out which garage has done this Faux Pas, so we can avoid it, or double check if they’ve used the correct stuff?
Op lives on South Coast.....

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Hi All, latest update.
OMG, I gasped out loud when I read this. What a nightmare for you. Really, the main dealer should be expected to know the correct fluids to use and surely they've not got an excuse, especially as you questioned using the DOT4 and they insisted it was the right stuff.

Good luck with your meeting, and I hope you reach a satisfactory conclusion quickly and can get back on the road.

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I dont trust Main Stealers, the best guys in any game are the experienced independents ,,, I just had to replace rear wheel bearings in my Daughters 2019 Ninja 650 always been main kawasaki Dealer fully serviced as they had tightened them up with probably a windy gun to 13ft lb when Kawasaki torque spec is 61ft lb and so the wheel bearings were crushed , this on amotrocycle is a MAJOR safety issue , I have reported them to DVLA/MOT as well as with crushed bearings it should not have been passed by them when they did the MOT ,
to add icing to the cake the 2023 oil /filter change etc was skipped as I had marked the filter and it said 2022 ... My daughter is now letting me service the bike ,,,

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Thanks

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Have today met with my Independent Dealer and all went well. I brought a sample of the witches brew back from Luxembourg with me. As it had sat in the Van for 24hrs the Brake Fluid and ATF had clearly separated. The Service Manager immediately offered to pick up all repair costs and added reimbursement of any uninsured expenses. Master Tech who did the original job was totally devastated and could not apologise enough. Financially a good outcome and will sleep tonight. Won’t be naming and shaming. Thanks everyone for all your support

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Well can you tell us who it wasn’t😁😁😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.