Comfortmatic died Help! (3 Viewers)

Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Hi all, my comfortmatic has just died on site in Luxembourg. No systems before just got message “check transmission - see handbook” . Won’t select any gears in auto or manual and when I try for 1st gear in auto or manual I can hear a clicking sound like it is trying to select. Had all the fluids changed and recalibrated over 6 months/5 k miles ago. Anyone got any ideas before I attempt the breakdown insurance😒

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
This guide may give you some suggestions

When mine went, breakdown managed to reset something by disconnecting the starter battery for a few minutes. That proved to be a temporary fix for a couple of times only, before it was properly broke and I ended up with recovery to Portsmouth for major repairs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect you've accidentally caused the issue by putting it in neutral and turning the engine off, it should always be left in gear (first ideally) when turning off. Then to aggravate the MH further you let it roll down to the service point which has likely made the 'brain' get in a right tizzy as it thinks there's something majorly wrong, hence the error messages.

I seriously doubt you've done any real damage but until you can re-set it you won't know for sure, unfortunately I can't help you with that but I'll keep everything crossed for you.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
you've accidentally caused the issue by putting it in neutral and turning the engine off, it should always be left in gear (first ideally) when turning off.

That’s a new one on me; is there a rationale for this as it seems to go against what might be considered normal practice?

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not
Hi all, my comfortmatic has just died on site in Luxembourg. No systems before just got message “check transmission - see handbook” . Won’t select any gears in auto or manual and when I try for 1st gear in auto or manual I can hear a clicking sound like it is trying to select. Had all the fluids changed and recalibrated over 6 months/5 k miles ago. Anyone got any ideas before I attempt the breakdown insurance😒
Not sure of the full sequence of how you got the error message but if you have applied the handbrake whilst the moho was moving slightly and in gear you may have some residual load in the drive line that's preventing the gearbox from going into neutral when trying to start the engine. Try releasing the handbrake and footbrake and then try to select neutral. It's worth trying a few times just to rule it out as a problem before moving in to more complex searching

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Brake light switch??

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I do have a habit of leaving it in neutral…🤔

I don't have comformatic but as a side point to this discussion I always leave my cars/motorhome in gear when parked. Seems a sensible thing to do in case the handbrake should fail or not be on properly.

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Not

Not sure of the full sequence of how you got the error message but if you have applied the handbrake whilst the moho was moving slightly and in gear you may have some residual load in the drive line that's preventing the gearbox from going into neutral when trying to start the engine. Try releasing the handbrake and footbrake and then try to select neutral. It's worth trying a few times just to rule it out as a problem before moving in to more complex searching
That could be part of problem as I let the MH roll back on a hill to line up with waste drop and problem occurred immediately after. Will give it a good and report back Thsnkd

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't have comformatic but as a side point to this discussion I always leave my cars/motorhome in gear when parked. Seems a sensible thing to do in case the handbrake should fail or not be on properly.

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Tried it. Will give me gears when engine not running but drops back to Neutral on starting engine
had that problem with mine after rolling back in neutral using the hand brake. Strangely enough it went back into gear after clipping my seat belt. Didn't see the connection but that's when it decided to work!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Tried it. Will give me gears when engine not running but drops back to Neutral on starting engine
Thats what its supposed to do, you then select A or R to drive it?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Most automatics make you leave the gearbox in Park when you turn off the engine. The Comfortmatic encourages you to leave it in gear by sounding a warning alarm if it is in neutral. When you turn the ignition back on the Comfortmatic puts itself in neutral and forces you to put your foot on the foot brake to move the gear lever to neutral and then select A/M. This seems like a good safety precaution. All automatics force you to put your foot on the brake to select drive or reverse. A torque converter automatic will not allow you to roll back unless you shift to neutral, perhaps the Comfortmatic has a weakness in that respect and protects itself in a different way by shutting down.

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Most automatics make you leave the gearbox in Park when you turn off the engine. The Comfortmatic encourages you to leave it in gear by sounding a warning alarm if it is in neutral. When you turn the ignition back on the Comfortmatic puts itself in neutral and forces you to put your foot on the foot brake to move the gear lever to neutral and then select A/M. This seems like a good safety precaution. All automatics force you to put your foot on the brake to select drive or reverse. A torque converter automatic will not allow you to roll back unless you shift to neutral, perhaps the Comfortmatic has a weakness in that respect and protects itself in a different way by shutting down.
Seems to make sense to me. I think it is a protection system. Waiting for tech with OBD reader to arrive. Hopefully he can clear the fault code and get us moving. Thanks for your info

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Still drops the gear as selected after about 2 secs
OK looks like you need to clear the code. You could try the tips Kannon Fodda posted above or as a start disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and retry.

OP
OP
G
Oct 4, 2021
Hastings, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
had that problem with mine after rolling back in neutral using the hand brake. Strangely enough it went back into gear after clipping my seat belt. Didn't see the connection but that's when it decided to work!
Just tried this one. Not worked for me I’m afraid. Thanks anyway

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Seems to make sense to me. I think it is a protection system. Waiting for tech with OBD reader to arrive. Hopefully he can clear the fault code and get us moving. Thanks for your info
Hopefully this will get you going again. Try to make sure any engine codes that may be present are cleared before clearing the Comfortmatic codes. They can be a bit Italian in the respect..

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
That’s a new one on me; is there a rationale for this as it seems to go against what might be considered normal practice?

Ian
It's normal practice with the Comfortmatic and it's in the handbook. It's the same as leaving a manual in gear, otherwise you are relying on the handbrake, there is no "park"

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This is really interesting, we didn't get a handbook containing information for the automatic, and can't find that information in the online manual, anyone got the page number Minxy anyone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back