LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Due to be collected from Argos today and I will set up at Mum's next weekend - if we go. My sister is there at the moment and Mum has been less than welcoming.

Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Smilely Hymer B524
Exp
Not enough
If you have no requirement for colour printing, a black & white laser would be a better option, it will be a lot cheaper to run. I have a Brother HL-L235ODW which we have had for about 4 years, used by my son through 6th form/university, we have on replaced the cartridge once. The main benefit with laser is that the ink doesnt dry up like inkjet printers.

Colour lasers are just as good, but cost more to runđź‘Ť

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Laser every time for me. I do very little printing and my colour toner has been the same cartridge for 10 years and still works fine. Ink would long have dried up.
The printer costs more in the first place but will last forever so probably cheaper in the long run.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If you have no requirement for colour printing, a black & white laser would be a better option, it will be a lot cheaper to run. I have a Brother HL-L235ODW which we have had for about 4 years, used by my son through 6th form/university, we have on replaced the cartridge once. The main benefit with laser is that the ink doesnt dry up like inkjet printers.

Colour lasers are just as good, but cost more to runđź‘Ť
My sister needs colour. I did suggest a B&W laser all in one similar to the one I have at home as that does scan in colour but my sister really does need to print out in colour.

We estimate the required lifetime of the unit to be around 2 to 3 years and we both have our "main" printers at our own homes - this one is for when either of us are at Mum's - (my sister 4 days every 1 extended weekend out of 3, me for 2 days 2 weekends out of 3) so either of us can work from Mum's when necessary. Spending a couple of hundred on a printer that will end up in a cupboard, redundant, in a couple of years doesn't make sense for us but had the printer been for the long term then a laser would be the way to go.

Feb 18, 2022
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048DF 2016
We used to use duplexing HP Inkjets for a long time, with good results.
Then we started taking long holidays (MH and worldwide) and not using the printer for months at a time.
Clogged up cartridges were such an expensive pain that we switched to a colour laser and touch wood this has been fine since.
Usage is occasional printing of bulky colour documents

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I think the printer will be used for a few pages each week. I will use my laser printer for bigger print jobs - the one to go to Mum's is for urgent stuff and copies and scans plus printing of the occasional photo. The Instant Ink plan (9 months included with the printer) should work out well for us - I hope!!! I haven't opened the box yet - that is a job for when we are with Mum, probably at some time when she is asleep and I can set it all up without being told how to do it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Been using Epson printers for donkeys years, until the latest firmware update that now detects non-Epson ink cartridges and it had a hissy fit .. refused to print ..grrr

That was the last straw.. so chucked it out, and after reading the reviews on here bought the HP Envy 6032 E

Ordered form Curry's on 23th Dec .. delivered 24th .. with free delivery .. ÂŁ45 ..

So far so good.. and no more printers taking a hiisy fit .. goodbye Epson , your loss

Broken Link Removed

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Been using Epson printers for donkeys years, until the latest firmware update that now detects non-Epson ink cartridges and it had a hissy fit .. refused to print ..grrr

That was the last straw.. so chucked it out, and after reading the reviews on here bought the HP Envy 6032 E

Ordered form Curry's on 23th Dec .. delivered 24th .. with free delivery .. ÂŁ45 ..

So far so good.. and no more printers taking a hiisy fit .. goodbye Epson , your loss

Broken Link Removed
You can just press ignore on an epson, and continue. It's only while loading. At least it does on mine.

But I've got a Dell colour laser printer with a complete set or more of unused laser toners if anyone wants it, for the cost of the carriage only. Or pick it up in Wells for free!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You can just press ignore on an epson, and continue. It's only while loading. At least it does on mine.
sorry.. not on mine,., I did try , believe me ..it would not have it

In any case, buying the HP Instant Ink printer with 6 months free ink was cheaper than buying Epson cartridges ,, and after 6 months an ongoing cost of just ÂŁ4.99 ..per month .. done deal

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've got an old Stylus PHOTO RX420 that's probably older than Gutenburg. Not sure it's done any updates for this model since I can't remember when.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I have stopped installing any new firmware updates on my Epson printer as I believe the next available one is the one that blocks 3rd party ink. The detailed small print for the updates does mention blocking 3rd party cartridges but you need a magnifying glass and the patience of a saint to read far enough to find it!

Other manufacturers may be doing the same, so anyone else buying a new printer would do well to search the internet for comments on the models you are considering, to ensure you arent trapped into manufacturer cartridges only (if this is of concern to you).

scotjimland, was the firmware update one of the ones that you can't roll back?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@scotjimland, was the firmware update one of the ones that you can't roll back?
no idea.. wasn't even aware that was possible .. but as mentioned, very happy with the HP and the instant ink ...

Reactions: dna
Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969

But I've got a Dell colour laser printer with a complete set or more of unused laser toners if anyone wants it, for the cost of the carriage only. Or pick it up in Wells for free!
I agree with you. My current Epson XP-257 accepts "compatibles" although it tells me they are not epson. I always use "Stinky Inks" who guarantee their compatibles will work. https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Mine is an XP 4105 .. I looked at it again and it won't accept the generic inks

this is th message.. when you follow the 'next' it goes around and back to the same message

tempImagepMsld3.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back