Charging my Fogstar Drift 230ah LiFePO4 Under-seat Battery (1 Viewer)

Tel Jenkins

Free Member
May 7, 2024
Willington, Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 5
I am going to replace the 2 85ah LA batteries with an underseat Fogstar Drift 230ah lithium. Firstly I'm trying to find info on removing the swivel seat but there is little info out there on how to do it. Also I need to find out if the leisure battery charger that's in the Westfalia, is it powerful enough to deliver 14.4a to the Fogstar?
There is also a Victron MPPT pushing power from 275w of solar in to the LA batteries. Another thing I can't seem to find is, are the batteries being charged when on hook up?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The seat is held in by 4 bolts the seats are very heavy best to have help to lift it out.

It will have a charger and 12v distribution unit often under the other seat or hidden in a locker. It will charge the leisure battery when on EHU and normally they charge the starter battery as well. It will probably be either a CBE unit or an Elektroblock unit.
You will probably find the charger won't support Lithium charging so if you are going the use EHU a lot its best to fit a suitable mains charger.

There are loads of threads on the forum about fitting Lithium.
These are the results from just a quick search there are far more.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Just set your onboard charger to gel setting which will be OK so long as you don't hook up all the time. If like us you are nearly always off grid so long as your mppt controller supports lithium that will keep you charged. If you have a smart alternator you'll need a b2b also.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
There should be 4 bolts that secure the seat to the base and a plug to disconnect but be carful it’s a heavy lump, as for the rest someone will be on to advise you on that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Ok, I'll be charging every couple of weeks with a mains lithium charger in any case. I do have a Victron mppt to install. Another thing I don't understand is why b2b chargers are so expensive. They don't even need a mains supply. And you have to disable your onboard splitter.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Another thing I don't understand is why b2b chargers are so expensive. They don't even need a mains supply
They are basically two units in one. Battery to Battery power transfer.
More usually wired as alternator to leisure battery.

The input battery side doing the work which would otherwise be provided by the mains supply,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a victron multi plus and it will keep the battery to storage when on EHU also victron mppt smart solar will do the same.😊👍im not sure what that means but my take is it will charge until full then as it recognises you are on EHU it will let battery drop to a storage capacity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tel Jenkins

Tel Jenkins

Free Member
May 7, 2024
Willington, Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 5
If you don't have the correct profile it may not charge correctly but it's OK for the odd day or two.
I am only planning to use hookup very occasionally, so hopefully this wont be an issue.
I need to remove the seats first to see where the consumer unit/fuses/wiring all goes to. There is a monitor on the wall for tank levels and batteries but it's very basic, only showing 4 levels from empty to full.
Also I'm wondering if I should fit a B2B charger as at the moment, I'm not sure where the leisure batteries are being charged from (smart alternator?) when driving. Also they are being charged from the Victron MPPT which I can at least change the profile on that unit.
Have to see how it goes.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also I'm wondering if I should fit a B2B charger as at the moment, I'm not sure where the leisure batteries are being charged from (smart alternator?) when driving
You probably already have a B2B installed but settings on it will changing.
If you monitor the leisure battery voltage while driving and start with a partly leisure battery down below 75% the voltage should go up to 14.2-14.4v until the battery is charged then hold there or drop back to 13.8v depending on the B2B, If it varies up and down dropping to 12.4v you don't have a B2B.

You could use one of these to make checking easy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back