Cassette question (1 Viewer)

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
The large circular hatch on my cassette has decided to become immovable so I can't twist it off to get inside to thoroughly clean it

I don't want to force it & break the thing
What would be the best product (spray?) to ease it.
I'm a bit loathe to use WD40 or Vaseline as they can sometimes do strange things to certain materials

What do you suggest?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Nonna, as the old saying goes, ie, a photo speaks a thousand words. ;)

What make and model of cassette do you have, and exactly which part are you looking to remove, eg, the plate which holds the rubber seal, or some other part?

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Silicon spray if you feel you need lubricants.
If you make a lever from a piece of wood that fits between the two channels that will give you a bit of leverage to open it. With silicon spray on the o ring when refitting will make it easy next time.

OP
OP
Nonna
Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Nonna, as the old saying goes, ie, a photo speaks a thousand words. ;)

What make and model of cassette do you have, and exactly which part are you looking to remove, eg, the plate which holds the rubber seal, or some other part?

Cheers,

Sorry
I realised too late that I should have said it's a Thetford
It's the plate which when removed leaves a, say, 6in opening

OP
OP
Nonna
Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
If you make a lever from a piece of wood that fits between the two channels that will give you a bit of leverage to open it. With silicon spray on the o ring when refitting will make it easy next time.
Thanks
I'll try to hunt down some suitable wood & some silicon spray

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

If it's tight that doesn't work you need a length of timber.
Once out grease the seal with silicone grease to make it easier to remove in future.
But we still haven't established what make and model of cassette yet. Never in my days of caravans and MHs, have I needed to apply a piece of timber to gain access to clean a cassette. 🤷‍♂️

Which make and model are you both referring to?

Edited..... Just seen Nonna's reference to David"s video link, and all becomes clear. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Nonna
Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
If it's tight that doesn't work you need a length of timber.
Once out grease the seal with silicone grease to make it easier to remove in future.
Thanks. Grease as opposed to spray?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Spray or grease is ok once open, but spray around the joint before opening may help. Grease won’t until apart.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Some times as I found out it just will not budge and even using spray and making a piece of wood to fit the runners . I had to butcher the whole ring to get it out but you can buy the whole round assembly including new seal for about £45.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Plastic responds well to heat, so try some boiling water dribbled round the seal, it should then turn .

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
On no account use Vaseline or any other petroleum based products, Thetford make a silicone spray specifically for use on the seals it's £7.00 on Amazon.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

Been using the stuff successfully for years, on toilet seals, awning assemblies, hydraulic levellers, electric steps, door hinges, locks, and latches, etc, etc.

There is nothing special about the Thetford product, just like their internal cleaning fluids, ie, I've had better results with a good soak using a citric acid solution to clean/descale the internals of the cassette, with no damage to the working parts, or seals. (y)

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back