Carthago Compactline. (28 Viewers)

Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Hi Peeps,

Was on here a few weeks ago introducing myself back (Was a member on here a few years back), and at that time was wanting to get back into the motorhome world.
We were not in a position to purchase at that time but we are now.
So a question too the learned folk that you are, we at the moment have narrowed our search down to the above motorhome (We think lol).
Can anyone who might own one or who has, give us any tips, information good or bad on the above please. The only thing that is a small worry at this present time is the payload.
Seriously would appreciate any info good or bad please. Must add I am currently driving on a non C1 licence and do not want to do the medical etc unless I really had to.

Cheers,

Mark & Jill

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I had a Compactline i143 until a few days ago. We tried to run at less than 3500kg for a year but it was a bit challenging, so we uprated it to 3850kg. The i138 might be easier on a C1. Great motorhomes, loads of storage which makes it harder to keep the weight down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N
Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
I had a Compactline i143 until a few days ago. We tried to run at less than 3500kg for a year but it was a bit challenging, so we uprated it to 3850kg. The i138 might be easier on a C1. Great motorhomes, loads of storage which makes it harder to keep the weight down.
Thanks for that, can you remember what your payload was please?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have had a i 141 LE on order for nearly 2 years hoping to get it next month.
Unless you travel very light not really possible to run at 3500kg.

A friend has a i138 LE the smallest one he got a shock when he weighed it, at the time had hardly anything on board some food, spare wheel, enough clothes for the weekend, table and chairs the garage was almost empty they didn't have their bikes with them and they were about 30kg over. He only weighs around 60kg & her 50kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N
Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
We have had a i 141 LE on order for nearly 2 years hoping to get it next month.
Unless you travel very light not really possible to run at 3500kg.

A friend has a i138 LE the smallest one he got a shock when he weighed it, at the time had hardly anything on board some food, spare wheel, enough clothes for the weekend, table and chairs the garage was almost empty they didn't have their bikes with them and they were about 30kg over. He only weighs around 60kg & her 50kg.
Thanks for that Lenny. Sounds like the "Dream" is disappearing on the Carthago already. Really like the van, but also do not really want to do the C1 medical etc being as I am no longer holding a C1 having just turned 70.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
My 138 weighs 3200kg with 20 litres of water, full diesel and two full 11kg Gaslow on board. That’s with no driver or passenger but does include an awning and an oven.

It does have Alko Levellers and fitted hab area AirCon which likely accounts for around 100kg.

I reckon it’s just about doable at 3500 without the levellers and aircon but I’m in the process of up-plating to 4000 which is the max I can go to with the fancy new full air suspension that’s just been fitted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N
Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
My 138 weighs 3200kg with 20 litres of water, full diesel and two full 11kg Gaslow on board. That’s with no driver or passenger but does include an awning and an oven.

It does have Alko Levellers and fitted hab area AirCon which likely accounts for around 100kg.

I reckon it’s just about doable at 3500 without the levellers and aircon but I’m in the process of up-plating to 4000 which is the max I can go to with the fancy new full air suspension that’s just been fitted.
Thank you for that info, think it is going to be very tight, but really reluctant to go back to the drawing board as it is a lovely van.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks for that Lenny. Sounds like the "Dream" is disappearing on the Carthago already. Really like the van, but also do not really want to do the C1 medical etc being as I am no longer holding a C1 having just turned 70.
Those weights on my friends one was without an awning an it's the older one with 150hp engine and Comformatic.
They now only supply them in RHD with the 180hp 9 speed auto about 40kg heavier as they beef up the chassis and fit Maxi hubs & brakes.

My best mate has one on order he is going to risk it without a spare and no awning and going to try & run it at 3500kg.

Also every Carthago I have known comes out of the factory 125kg to 130kg over brochure weight, I think they make use of the 5% to cheat on payload.

If you don't have any underlying medical problems why not get your C1 back only £55 for a medical at D4Drivers, I'll be 74 in 2 weeks.

My dealer said they were discontinuing the Compactline in 2025 one of the reasons is weigh.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
By the time you have two people in it and a full water tank you will be at 3500kg.
I would never go anywhere without a full water tank, 150kg but worth it's weight in gold, never know when you will next find water.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for that, can you remember what your payload was please?
Payload is not a fixed figure and the brochure figures are often more fiction than fact. If buying a used vehicle get it weighed. The year of manufacture can make a difference to the starting point. All the extras, both factory fitted and subsequent ones have to be deducted from the payload. Manufacturers are allowed a 5% tolerance on their weights and Carthago were famed for using all of this. My 2019 i143 clocked in at 130kg over the brochure figure, exactly as predicted by Lenny HB . My 2024 Malibu Van (also made by Carthago) was nearly bang on correct. There are new EU regulations about payload and I suspect they are now being more careful about their brochure weights.

If you felt comfortable sharing details of the motorhome you are looking at we might be able to be more helpful.

Upvote 0

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
24 Years
Mark Jill I've had 2 A class Carthago both 3500KG very difficult to run at 3500 KG. As Lenny HB said thy leave the factory at plus 5% . I myself weighed my 640 Charming this morning. 3440KG Half tank Diesel NO water NO Passenger!!! Back to storage off Load the excess. But What!! Be Very Very Careful Before You Buy Carthago If you want any more info PM me 👍

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I have a Compactline 143 plated at 3850. I just about manage at that. I am going to uprate to 4000kg which will then give me a bit of wiggle room.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N
Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Payload is not a fixed figure and the brochure figures are often more fiction than fact. If buying a used vehicle get it weighed. The year of manufacture can make a difference to the starting point. All the extras, both factory fitted and subsequent ones have to be deducted from the payload. Manufacturers are allowed a 5% tolerance on their weights and Carthago were famed for using all of this. My 2019 i143 clocked in at 130kg over the brochure figure, exactly as predicted by Lenny HB . My 2024 Malibu Van (also made by Carthago) was nearly bang on correct. There are new EU regulations about payload and I suspect they are now being more careful about their brochure weights.

If you felt comfortable sharing details of the motorhome you are looking at we might be able to be more helpful.
Thank you for your reply. The one I am looking at is on Auto Trader at very close to 90k and based in North Wales through a broker.
It has a damaged rear light which is no big deal and a tiny mark on the paintwork above the light which obviously would affect the finished price. I received a video of it tonight which really did not help the cause as we would really like it.
But seems little point if it has virtually no payload to speak of, also no cooker which is the second one I have enquired about that doesn't have one. Perhaps they think Carthago owners are a wealthy bunch and can afford to eat out Lol.
Again thanks to everyone for their input, it is much appreciated.

Mark & Jill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N
Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Mark Jill I've had 2 A class Carthago both 3500KG very difficult to run at 3500 KG. As Lenny HB said thy leave the factory at plus 5% . I myself weighed my 640 Charming this morning. 3440KG Half tank Diesel NO water NO Passenger!!! Back to storage off Load the excess. But What!! Be Very Very Careful Before You Buy Carthago If you want any more info PM me 👍
Thank you for the info, if I do not do my C1 medical and then buy one and have it up plated then I guess I will have to look at a different van altogether. Really do not want to go down that route (medical etc) but thanks again for the info.

Mark & Jill

• Thanks
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The one we have on order we have not ordered the oven, didn't like where and how they fit it or the £1000 they charge for it.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
This one then.

That one has an awning and Oyster sat dish so that's 60kg of payload gone.
Even though it's registered at 3.5t being a 143 very doubtful you could run legally at 3.5t.

If you don't have any health problems it's a 5 min medical to get your C1 back.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I have a 2016 Compactline 138. When we bought it s/h it weighed 2960Kg with self & OH (120Kg total), 1/4 tank fuel, 1 10Kg Safefill LPG. 1 82Ah gel battery, Thule awning, 100W rigid solar panel, Thetford duplex oven, no water.
Since then I've swapped the solar panel for 3 x 100W semi-flex, 2 120AH lithiums(= 1 gel), added another Safefill (7.5Kg size),small microwave swapped for a drawer. With clothes, food, usual clutter, 2 e-bikes (40Kg total),full water and fuel, we just scrape under 3500Kg with about 20Kg to spare. Hope this data helps your decision. It can be done but there's not much leeway, especially if you want to start adding things like hydraulic levelling, aircon, sat-dish etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
It’s on a light chassis so will be limited to 3850kg even after an upgrade. So you still have to be careful with add-ons.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you for your reply. The one I am looking at is on Auto Trader at very close to 90k and based in North Wales through a broker.
It has a damaged rear light which is no big deal and a tiny mark on the paintwork above the light which obviously would affect the finished price. I received a video of it tonight which really did not help the cause as we would really like it.
But seems little point if it has virtually no payload to speak of, also no cooker which is the second one I have enquired about that doesn't have one. Perhaps they think Carthago owners are a wealthy bunch and can afford to eat out Lol.
Again thanks to everyone for their input, it is much appreciated.

Mark & Jill
The oven is not very good, adds to the weight and takes up kitchen drawer space. A Remoska or an air fryer is probably a better choice. At 2020 the automatic gearbox might be either a Comfortmatic (older stock) or a 9 Speed torque converter (newer stock) and they are different weights.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The oven is not very good, adds to the weight and takes up kitchen drawer space. A Remoska or an air fryer is probably a better choice. At 2020 the automatic gearbox might be either a Comfortmatic (older stock) or a 9 Speed torque converter (newer stock) and they are different weights.
It's the old model so a Comformatic.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
A PVC is hardly a substitute for an A Class.
Having just downsized from an i143 A Class to a Malibu Van I agree they are different beasts. The biggest difference is the storage space but if you are limited to 3500kg then you can’t use the vast storage capacity of the i143 anyway. The bed comfort is very similar and so far we have no regrets but there are differences we are adjusting to such as the shower arrangement but I like the new shower.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have a 2016 Compactline 138. When we bought it s/h it weighed 2960Kg with self & OH (120Kg total), 1/4 tank fuel, 1 10Kg Safefill LPG. 1 82Ah gel battery, Thule awning, 100W rigid solar panel, Thetford duplex oven, no water.
Since then I've swapped the solar panel for 3 x 100W semi-flex, 2 120AH lithiums(= 1 gel), added another Safefill (7.5Kg size),small microwave swapped for a drawer. With clothes, food, usual clutter, 2 e-bikes (40Kg total),full water and fuel, we just scrape under 3500Kg with about 20Kg to spare. Hope this data helps your decision. It can be done but there's not much leeway, especially if you want to start adding things like hydraulic levelling, aircon, sat-dish etc.
I still don't know how you manage it, as I said friends one is over with only enough stuff on board for the weekend & no bikes, he does carry a spare wheel & cassette and his gas bottles are probably 20kg heavier 2 x 14kg Alugas.

The OP is looking at a 143 which is 110kg heavier than a 138.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The medical is really easy with d4d unless medical conditions

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Is it worth going for something slightly lighter that you can enjoy? I'm thinking that it can't be that far down the line that the requirement for C1 is scrapped then you could go for what you really want? I've been having a look at the DOT, Driving licensing review call for evidence - summary of responses, that was published last June and someone/organisation has made a specific reference to motorhomes which is valid.

Q25, Q26 and Q27. Do you think there are specific purposes of driving of C1 vehicles that should be exempted from DCPC for driving in the UK? If yes, what purposes and supply evidence of your opinion (for example business, road safety and C1 vehicle use)​

Leisure use. There is a huge problem on the horizon for the motorhome industry, with a shrinking market of drivers for motorhomes that are plated over 3500kg. The push to keep motorhomes under 3500kg has also led to vehicle being built with lightweight, flimsy materials. A better built motorhome which weighs 4000kg would be much safer. At the moment only drivers aged approx 4470 can drive motorhomes over 3500kg without the additional test and in many areas of the UK, it’s far too difficult and costly to take a test for leisure vehicle use.
It’s also very confusing for drivers of vehicles, trying to check payloads, avoiding ‘overloading’ vehicles to keep under 3500kg, when in reality, the vehicle chassis could easily cope with extra weight and be safely plated to 4250kg.
This article with common questions about downplating motorhomes might help give an insight into how confusing it can be for people to monitor motorhome weights.

Ignore the howler that says you need to be 4470 years old to drive a motorhome over 3500kg! I think this is a pretty good argument approaching it from a safety angle. I know that the EU are inching towards changing the C1 requirement, it makes sense all round. Hopefully there may be light at the end of the tunnel? Apologies to OP if this is a side track, but I think it has some relevance.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
N
Mar 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Is it worth going for something slightly lighter that you can enjoy? I'm thinking that it can't be that far down the line that the requirement for C1 is scrapped then you could go for what you really want? I've been having a look at the DOT, Driving licensing review call for evidence - summary of responses, that was published last June and someone/organisation has made a specific reference to motorhomes which is valid.

Q25, Q26 and Q27. Do you think there are specific purposes of driving of C1 vehicles that should be exempted from DCPC for driving in the UK? If yes, what purposes and supply evidence of your opinion (for example business, road safety and C1 vehicle use)​

Leisure use. There is a huge problem on the horizon for the motorhome industry, with a shrinking market of drivers for motorhomes that are plated over 3500kg. The push to keep motorhomes under 3500kg has also led to vehicle being built with lightweight, flimsy materials. A better built motorhome which weighs 4000kg would be much safer. At the moment only drivers aged approx 4470 can drive motorhomes over 3500kg without the additional test and in many areas of the UK, it’s far too difficult and costly to take a test for leisure vehicle use.
It’s also very confusing for drivers of vehicles, trying to check payloads, avoiding ‘overloading’ vehicles to keep under 3500kg, when in reality, the vehicle chassis could easily cope with extra weight and be safely plated to 4250kg.
This article with common questions about downplating motorhomes might help give an insight into how confusing it can be for people to monitor motorhome weights.

Ignore the howler that says you need to be 4470 years old to drive a motorhome over 3500kg! I think this is a pretty good argument approaching it from a safety angle. I know that the EU are inching towards changing the C1 requirement, it makes sense all round. Hopefully there may be light at the end of the tunnel? Apologies to OP if this is a side track, but I think it has some relevance.
That makes interesting reading although probably some way off yet. I'm sure I read somewhere, that in the UK they have relaxed the weight law on the bigger electric vans so they can be driven on an ordinary licence by delivery people which seems a tad unfair.
Anyway thank you for that info.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back