Carbon alarm (2 Viewers)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
I’m baffled! ( not hard to do) the carbon monoxide alarm on the MH keeps going off, this is the second one that’s doing it I changed the first just in case it was the battery this ones brand new so not a battery problem , there’s absolutely nothing on, no gas, no fridge nothing?
Anyone got any ideas?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
CO alarms can be set off with hydrogen (from an overcooked cab or hab battery) or petrol/diesel fumes or LPG.

The fact that two different alarms both triggered is concerning.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
I will check both the leisure and vehicle batteries,thanks guys, for clarity I have installed a new kidde carbon monoxide alarm and you cannot change the battery in them you have to replace it entirely.
cheers all

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
It will have a 9v pp3 battery, try swapping the smoke alarm battery over if the smoke alarm one is working ok, that should remove any battery faults, if alarm keeps trigering then alarm itself is suspect.
Just seen your last post RollingRog
That would suggest theres an issue giving the trigger.
Take alarm outside so it gets plenty air around it and see if it triggers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
It will have a 9v pp3 battery, try swapping the smoke alarm battery over if the smoke alarm one is working ok, that should remove any battery faults, if alarm keeps trigering then alarm itself is suspect.
Just seen your last post RollingRog
That would suggest theres an issue giving the trigger.
Take alarm outside so it gets plenty air around it and see if it triggers
Have taken the alarm off , can’t change battery it’s a fixed unit, bought a brand new one same thing happened, I’m investigating the batteries now, I’ve only recently bought this van, the leisure battery is dated 2011 same year as the van.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have taken the alarm off , can’t change battery it’s a fixed unit, bought a brand new one same thing happened, I’m investigating the batteries now, I’ve only recently bought this van, the leisure battery is dated 2011 same year as the van.
If it's a lead acid it's probably getting (is) way past it's best!

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Typical for acid batteries to last 3-6 years depending on use and charger used .... So 2011 is well past it. Have you measured the voltage at rest?

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Check you have no leak in the manifold or exhaust system or that the fumes are not being sucked in as you are travelling. CO can linger a long time and if coming in through floor vents etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am presuming the CO monitor doesn’t have a display of alarm level

I strongly recommend only using monitors with a display, they will trigger at very low levels and although still important to know, there could be no need to panic if the reading is at the lower activation level of 15ppm, whereas if it shows 100+ you need to evacuate quickly

They are so low value any doubt just change it

Did you buy the second unit separately or same time as the other, could be really bad luck and both faulty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Did you put the alarm outside?
Yes have also put the alarm just above the batteries to test out but it hasn’t gone off!
It was originally placed on the wall above the fridge so I’m wondering if it’s the fridge? No gas on but wondering if it’s the fridges own gas?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back