Can a dog get depressed after losing two thing really closed (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Our jay has gone off to boarding we have been looking after our sons dog for the last year buddy has been fine since we had to put Boris down on Tuesday last week.
We went for a walk today we have been avoiding the usual walks as it was a bit hard for me.
But today we went on one of the walks we went with Boris.
We got back buddy's verry ajetated when we got back.
We passed the stop that jay used to get off at as wee arrived the bus turns up.
But jay dident get off it he became varry animated.
And refused to come home pulling back on the lead.
Is now not interested in his ball or his toy's he is verry ajetated ever now and then won't come up onto the sitee what Boris used to sleep with him
Won't go on the blanket even though it been washed.
Yet befor the walk he was on it is it me or do dogs get broken hearts and it's dawnd on him ther gone
Bill

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our jay has gone off to boarding we have been looking after our sons dog for the last year buddy has been fine since we had to put Boris down on Tuesday last week.
We went for a walk today we have been avoiding the usual walks as it was a bit hard for me.
But today we went on one of the walks we went with Boris.
We got back buddy's verry ajetated when we got back.
We passed the stop that jay used to get off at as wee arrived the bus turns up.
But jay dident get off it he became varry animated.
And refused to come home pulling back on the lead.
Is now not interested in his ball or his toy's he is verry ajetated ever now and then won't come up onto the sitee what Boris used to sleep with him
Won't go on the blanket even though it been washed.
Yet befor the walk he was on it is it me or do dogs get broken hearts and it's dawnd on him ther gone
Bill
They get upset and depressed when they lose pack members (that includes people) .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dogs with a strong pack instict can get very stressed when a member of the family is missing, (dog or human) This manifests itself with moping and a loss of appetite. They do get over it, but it can take quite a few weeks and plenty of attention from the rest of the pack.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK Anyone who knows Jazz, knows she is so lively. This was her 3 hours after me and Siân left the pack last Friday. We left in the van so Jazz knew we were away for a few days. Katie whatsapped us this video to show how miserable Jazz was as katie tries to coax her out of the way so she can open a drawer. :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We were always told it was best to allow the remainders to sniff the dead one's corpse if possible. They seem to reconcile it better that way. A bit difficult, if not impossible, if the final act is played out at the vets, but on the occasions we had to call the vet out to euthanase a dog they don't seem to have missed or grieved.
That said, we had to take Metoo to the vet's office at 05:00 when she went into acute heart failure as he couldn't come over to ours, but Rosie & Lizzie both seemed very aware that she was not going to be coming home and didn't give much of a second look when we returned empty handed and broken hearted. Lizzie became a bit more "clingy" though - but at the same time her cataracts had got much worse and she has gone deaf so that's not surprising.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There more loving than any human so yes the do
Sorry for the loss

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
My Stanley collapsed and died on my dining room floor last year. I sent my other dog Jack up to bed with Steve and then slept on the floor next to Stanley all night with a blanket over us. In the morning my Sister In law text me and said that I had to let Jack see that Stanley was dead or he would always be looking for him. I let Jack see him, he sniffed Stanley's face then his paws then he just skipped off to play with his toy rabbit. He has been absolutely fine, in fact he loves being the only dog now.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Our dog suffered from depression when our daughter went to university in America, we had to put him out the room when face timing her as vet reckoned Toby could hear her but not see her which made him worse.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Merlin used to try to herd us up when we went off in different directions.
We went onto feshwater beach I clambered over the rocks to do a bit of fishing while Julie walked along the beach with Merlin.
Next thing I know merlin is slipping and sliding on the rocks next to me.
Julie is half a mile away on the beach in panic.
Then he rushes back over the rocks to the beach to her.
He kept doing this until we cam back together.
They have a strong sense of family and togetherness.
But they adapt to the changes as We do eventually.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Our dog suffered from depression when our daughter went to university in America, we had to put him out the room when face timing her as vet reckoned Toby could hear her but not see her which made him worse.
We have had problems when jay phoned us today he is boarding now and has been gone since after the Easter brake :(
Him going to a new schoole and borris starting to understand now the penny has just dropped with him ther nor coming back.
Bill

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
It’s so hard as you can’t tell him Jay will be home in the summer. Our dogs pine if we separate them and pine if one of us is away. Yogi didn’t eat for a week the first time I went abroad with work. I’m dreading Sam going to Uni as he is Yogi’s number 1 person. You’ll be missing them both too and he’ll pick up on that.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Well at one time would have thought that a dog grieving for another dog was a load of rubbish. But - we had our springer euthanised as he was suffering and the Westie that he had been with since a puppy refused to eat and literally wasted away. It was so tragic. We tried everything.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Same thing happened to my Brothers dog. She went downhill quickly after his dog had to be put to sleep. She was constantly looking for him.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
A few years ago I had 2 elderly sheep that had been together since lambs. One of them became ill and emaciated so I called the knacker man who shot him in the middle of my 5 acre field. The remaining sheep was definately moping for his buddy. Then about 4 days later he didn’t come into be fed so I went looking for him in the field and found him dead! In exactly the same place that the man had shot his mate. He obviously died of a broken heart and was laying on the bit of blood that remained from his mate. Very sad but true.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back