Campsites in Corsica? (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
Hi. We are going to Corsica soon with the van, and are wondering if anyone can recommend any good campsites please? We know Corsica well, but have never camped there, so if there are any gems out there, please let us know! I've heard tell that there are not many sites on the island, but I'm hoping that's wrong.... Thanks ever so.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008

Stayed here a few years ago, just a few yards from the beaches and beach bars. Short walk into town, set amongst trees so a reasonable bit of shade. Calvi quite a pleasant town.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We went a few years ago. There are some excellent sites and only a few aires. It isn't a cheap place but we thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
We went a few years ago. There are some excellent sites and only a few aires. It isn't a cheap place but we thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

Thanks so much, this was very interesting. However, I didn't see any mention of any sites in Corsica? Or am I being daft?!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks so much, this was very interesting. However, I didn't see any mention of any sites in Corsica? Or am I being daft?!
We stayed mostly in campsites, there are only a handful of aires on Corsica. We stayed in one aire without facilities and one with facilities including showers.

I hope I've mentioned where we stayed, for example post #71 names where we stayed first after arriving on the island.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
We are away from home at the moment and I don’t have have my ‘van notebook with details of places we have stayed in Corsica. I can post more information when we are back next weekend.
Generally, we have stayed in the West and South of the island:
  • Ile Rousse: a pretty town with a superb beach. We found a good campsite immediately South of the town. It was a walk/scramble to the beach and easy walk into the town. Basic facilities in 1960s concrete blocks. Not expensive;
  • Algajola: nice little village and a good beach - for windsurfers! We stayed in a campsite close to the village and right on the beach. Too windy;
  • Galeria: small fishing village considered to be a hidden gem of the island. There is a newish aire to the South of the village built as a terrace down to the sea. The aire has a toilet but no other facilities. Very picturesque. The owner comes round in the evening to collect €25 cash;
  • Campomoro (just South of Propriano): our favourite place on the island. We could stay all summer. Tiny village with a few restaurants and a fantastic beach in a sheltered bay. There is one campsite a few hundred metres back from the beach. It is very traditionally French and English might be understood but it’s certainly not spoken! Facilities are basic; tokens for a hot shower. Bread and pastries if you order the night before. The old man tends the grounds continually and he describes it as a Mediterranean garden; not a campsite;
  • Porto Vecchio: we have tried a couple of sites here but not really found one we liked. There are lots of sites out of town yet not really close to a beach. What you could do is try the aire at Palombaggio beach. It is in the pine wood immediately behind the beach next to the car park. Basic facilities and circa €15 per night;
  • Bastia: this one is only if you are arriving/departing from Bastia. The aire is on the beach. Facilities are good. There were a group of permanent residents who I’m sure were salt of the earth sorts but I found a touch intimidating. The owner wanted our passports and we had an early ferry. Eventually he agreed that as we had paid we could keep our passports.

We found the roads OK with the ‘van, although we didn’t cover a lot of miles either year. Last year we sailed into Bonifacio (from Sardinia) and left from Porto Vecchio and so hardly did any driving. The previous year we found a couple of interesting roads which I would think twice about driving again with the ‘van. The first was route bis from Calvi to Galeria - there is a perfectly good A road alternative. Route bis had stunning scenery with unguarded drops to the ocean. The second was the Calanques road Porto/Piana. I had driven this road a few times before in a car, and once last century when I had more of my faculties in a camper van. It is real tight at some points. We followed a gleaming new Possl which was being driven so carefully, yet sadly took one for the team. Our ‘van is a 6.4 metre PVC which should be go anywhere. Next time we will park up and get on our bikes!

OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
We are away from home at the moment and I don’t have have my ‘van notebook with details of places we have stayed in Corsica. I can post more information when we are back next weekend.
Generally, we have stayed in the West and South of the island:
  • Ile Rousse: a pretty town with a superb beach. We found a good campsite immediately South of the town. It was a walk/scramble to the beach and easy walk into the town. Basic facilities in 1960s concrete blocks. Not expensive;
  • Algajola: nice little village and a good beach - for windsurfers! We stayed in a campsite close to the village and right on the beach. Too windy;
  • Galeria: small fishing village considered to be a hidden gem of the island. There is a newish aire to the South of the village built as a terrace down to the sea. The aire has a toilet but no other facilities. Very picturesque. The owner comes round in the evening to collect €25 cash;
  • Campomoro (just South of Propriano): our favourite place on the island. We could stay all summer. Tiny village with a few restaurants and a fantastic beach in a sheltered bay. There is one campsite a few hundred metres back from the beach. It is very traditionally French and English might be understood but it’s certainly not spoken! Facilities are basic; tokens for a hot shower. Bread and pastries if you order the night before. The old man tends the grounds continually and he describes it as a Mediterranean garden; not a campsite;
  • Porto Vecchio: we have tried a couple of sites here but not really found one we liked. There are lots of sites out of town yet not really close to a beach. What you could do is try the aire at Palombaggio beach. It is in the pine wood immediately behind the beach next to the car park. Basic facilities and circa €15 per night;
  • Bastia: this one is only if you are arriving/departing from Bastia. The aire is on the beach. Facilities are good. There were a group of permanent residents who I’m sure were salt of the earth sorts but I found a touch intimidating. The owner wanted our passports and we had an early ferry. Eventually he agreed that as we had paid we could keep our passports.

We found the roads OK with the ‘van, although we didn’t cover a lot of miles either year. Last year we sailed into Bonifacio (from Sardinia) and left from Porto Vecchio and so hardly did any driving. The previous year we found a couple of interesting roads which I would think twice about driving again with the ‘van. The first was route bis from Calvi to Galeria - there is a perfectly good A road alternative. Route bis had stunning scenery with unguarded drops to the ocean. The second was the Calanques road Porto/Piana. I had driven this road a few times before in a car, and once last century when I had more of my faculties in a camper van. It is real tight at some points. We followed a gleaming new Possl which was being driven so carefully, yet sadly took one for the team. Our ‘van is a 6.4 metre PVC which should be go anywhere. Next time we will park up and get on our bikes!
Thank you so much for all this information - very valuable, and I'm sure we will try out some of these. Ha ha, I know the Calanques road - not nice if you're scared of heights like me! Beautiful though. I refuse to go south on it, on the "wrong" side of the road, but no doubt we will do it coming from the south back up to Calvi. Our van is an Autotrail F62, only 6m, so hopefully will be ok! I think we will be sailing into Bastia from Toulon, so will go down the east side - Porto Vecchio has never really appealed, but we aim to stay near Bonifacio if we can find something there. Campomoro sounds nice!

OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
We stayed mostly in campsites, there are only a handful of aires on Corsica. We stayed in one aire without facilities and one with facilities including showers.

I hope I've mentioned where we stayed, for example post #71 names where we stayed first after arriving on the island.
Sorry, I must be being daft. I can't see any posts with numbers...all I see is a conversation between you and various other people as you travel. I'm obviously looking at the wrong place. Can you point me to the correct link please!! So sorry!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry, I must be being daft. I can't see any posts with numbers...all I see is a conversation between you and various other people as you travel. I'm obviously looking at the wrong place. Can you point me to the correct link please!! So sorry!!
The link above goes to the thread I started called Two Go to Corsica. And in a sense it is a bit of conversation with input from me generating responses from others. Inevitably the conversation can go off at a tangent at times, this one has some major excursions into editing images. :)

Each post has a number which is in the top right. The screenshot shows post #120 and further on in this post I mention where we stayed, giving the reference number from CamperContact which is an app I use to find places to stop. There are others, such a Park4Night which I also use.

Screenshot_20240415_131002_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
The link above goes to the thread I started called Two Go to Corsica. And in a sense it is a bit of conversation with input from me generating responses from others. Inevitably the conversation can go off at a tangent at times, this one has some major excursions into editing images. :)

Each post has a number which is in the top right. The screenshot shows post #120 and further on in this post I mention where we stayed, giving the reference number from CamperContact which is an app I use to find places to stop. There are others, such a Park4Night which I also use.

View attachment 886008
AH ok. But I can only see to Post 30. Nothing beyond. Sorry!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
AH ok. But I can only see to Post 30. Nothing beyond. Sorry!
Try clicking on the number 2, it will take you to the next page. Ot click on 3 and scroll down to #65 which is the start of the actual Corsica bit. :)

Screenshot_20240417_103546_Chrome~2.jpg

OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
Try clicking on the number 2, it will take you to the next page. Ot click on 3 and scroll down to #65 which is the start of the actual Corsica bit. :)

View attachment 886673
Absolutely brilliant, thank you so much. And what a wonderful time you had! I've made a note of the sites you stayed at, we will no doubt use a few of them. Interested you took Charlie. We have heard so much about these flies in the south of France/Corsica which can be fatal for dogs we are reluctantly leaving our two at home, but they'd absolutely love the trip, and all

OP
OP
L
Mar 26, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F62
Absolutely brilliant, thank you so much. And what a wonderful time you had! I've made a note of the sites you stayed at, we will no doubt use a few of them. Interested you took Charlie. We have heard so much about these flies in the south of France/Corsica which can be fatal for dogs we are reluctantly leaving our two at home, but they'd absolutely love the trip, and all
Sorry, the cat jumped on the keyboard at the wrong time! The dogs would love all the swimming and paddling.... Ah well, maybe next year. Thanks ever so for a fascinating read. Loved the video of THAT bit of road!

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
We went last yr look at our vid from Corsica if you like in wend yer way from our Italy/ Sicily series.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry, the cat jumped on the keyboard at the wrong time! The dogs would love all the swimming and paddling.... Ah well, maybe next year. Thanks ever so for a fascinating read. Loved the video of THAT bit of road!
Lishmaniasis is the disease carried by sandflies. There is a vaccine available for it but the dog has to start the course of treatment 3 months before travel. Insect repellent collars or sprays are supposed to help as is keeping the dog inside during the coolest parts of the day as this is when the sandflies are most active. Humans can also catch it of course so use insect repellent especially on the lower legs if sitting out in the evening.

We've learned to watch what other folk are doing as the evening progresses. If you see everyone going inside their MHs then take the hint - there will be biting critters!

Last edited:

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
In Ile-Rousse we stayed at Camping Les Oliviers.

Here is the aire at Galeria:

IMG_1940.jpeg

There are two roads from Calvi to Galeria the D81 and the D81B. The D81B follows the coast and is not for the faint hearted.

Here is Plage de Campomoro:

IMG_3065.jpeg

IMG_3070.jpeg

In Campomoro we stayed at Camping Perreto Les Roseaux. It’s the only campsite in the village.

In Porto-Vecchio we have stayed at Camping Baie des Voiles which we did not think was up to much and at Camping U Pirellu which is nice but in the middle of nowhere. I that area I would recommend the aire in the pine wood behind Plage de Palombaggia.

The weather in the South East of France has been poor and we have stopped appreciating the much needed rain. It’s really picking up from next week and hopefully you will enjoy warm sunshine for your trip.

Do post details of your trip and campsite recommendations.

AGT

Nov 22, 2021
Edinburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2021
Parked up at Plage de Porto in October 1991 when I was young and brave enough to drive the Calanques de Piana road

IMG_3765.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back