Burstner IXEO 586 - How do I remove/replace the tap in the bathroom? (1 Viewer)

Feb 10, 2022
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 586
Exp
since 2018
Hi folks

This is my first post so please forgive me if I don't get the etiquette of the forum quite right.

We can't use the water system in our motorhome because of a leaking tap and we supposed to be going away this weekend for Valentines!

We have a Burstner IXEO 586 2015. It has the swing out basin in the bathroom. The pivot of the basin is sandwiched between 2 shelves that are built-in. The basin tap sits on the top shelf and it's water tails go down through the pivot of the basin.

The tap has got a leak - I've changed the cartridge and Reich (tap manufacturer) have looked at the tap and said that it is leaking from where the tails go into the base of the tap probably. So I have to remove the tap to try to fix it and maybe even replace the tap.

My problem is I can't see how to remove the tap. I can't get access to the underneath nut holding the tap on the shelf because I can;t get my hand or any tools up through the basin pivot. I could maybe dismantle the shelves and basin to remove these but I can't figure out how Burstner have fixed everything together and I don't want to damage anything.

I have asked Burstner in Germany for guidance on how to replace the tap and they wont tell me. A UK dealer asked on my behalf and Burstner came back and said loosen the nut up through the pivot which as stated above is impossible to do I think.

Have any other Burstner IXEO 586 owners replaced the bathroom tap? - and if so can you please tell me how you did it?

Many thanks
Tim

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Many of these basins can be removed. But you would be best to attach photos of your setup for the best advice. On mine (not same make) I gain access from outside via toilet cassette locker. But each van is different.

OP
OP
B
Feb 10, 2022
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 586
Exp
since 2018
thank you

here's photo of the tap/basin combo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_5714.JPG
    IMG_5714.JPG
    398 KB · Views: 82
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Is it possible to put a stop valves in the supply lines you can see and stop supply to the tap as a faster solution so that at least you can go away?
Sort it later.

Last edited:

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If you lookup from underneath the pivot point can you see the underside of the tap? Might need to use a camera?

Jul 27, 2021
Bognor Regis, UK
Funster No
MH
Bürstner 690 Nexxo
Exp
Since 2017
Hello, I have changed the tap in my Burstner and you do need to unscrew that large plastic nut underneath somehow. This allows the tap to be removed from the top. You will need to release the water pipes, which in my case was by cutting them as I couldn't do anything else.

I had the same problem as you, I tried a new cartridge to no avail. It was a split in the tap body so I had to fit a new one along with new pipe connections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Feb 10, 2022
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 586
Exp
since 2018
David and Sally - brilliant idea to fit stop valves so we can use the van. I've already got the water pipes disconnected. Thank you!

Sandrai - yes i can see the underside of the tap if I use a mirror and a camera - just can't get any tool onto the nut up through the basin pivot.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years

How about this sort of tool?

OP
OP
B
Feb 10, 2022
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 586
Exp
since 2018
An update on the tap situation - it's all sorted now. A new ceramic cartridge did fix the leak from the tap so there was no need to remove the tap from the basin as it turned out. This was a blessing because I just couldn't get a tool onto the underside retaining nut. The access inside the pivot of the swing basin is too narrow to get an adjustable basin wrench up inside. I guess a box spanner might fit.

However, I did find the other leak. I decided to remove the waste water hose from the bottom of the sink as it feeds down through the basin pivot - I did this to gain better access to try to undo the tap. I then discovered that the waste water hose had hardened with age and cracked - I guess due to the constant pivoting of the swing basin. It's a 60cm length of hose that Burstner then connects into rigid piping inside the toilet cassette hatch. So I fitted a new length of hose and it's all leak free now.

Side effect of changing the hose is that the basin drains much faster than it did before and the basin is also much easier to swing out and back - so really pleased.

Thanks to all for the advice

Meadowlark

Free Member
Apr 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Burstner
An update on the tap situation - it's all sorted now. A new ceramic cartridge did fix the leak from the tap so there was no need to remove the tap from the basin as it turned out. This was a blessing because I just couldn't get a tool onto the underside retaining nut. The access inside the pivot of the swing basin is too narrow to get an adjustable basin wrench up inside. I guess a box spanner might fit.

However, I did find the other leak. I decided to remove the waste water hose from the bottom of the sink as it feeds down through the basin pivot - I did this to gain better access to try to undo the tap. I then discovered that the waste water hose had hardened with age and cracked - I guess due to the constant pivoting of the swing basin. It's a 60cm length of hose that Burstner then connects into rigid piping inside the toilet cassette hatch. So I fitted a new length of hose and it's all leak free now.

Side effect of changing the hose is that the basin drains much faster than it did before and the basin is also much easier to swing out and back - so really pleased.

Thanks to all for the advice
I have the same problem. In my case the cold water feed has become fully disconnected from the tap. I can see that reconnecting is going to be problematic!!
But I have another question. You said you replaced the cartridge. How did you do that? I cannot see anyway in???
Do the little red/blue things on the top of the tap hide something?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back