Boxer side door - closing from inside (1 Viewer)

Sep 30, 2013
SE Ireland
Funster No
MH
2017 Boxer PVC
Exp
Since Sept 2013
We cannot close the sliding door on our Boxer (2017) from the inside, we have to reach outside and pull the outside handle in order to get it past the stops on the slide rail. This is hardly right! Is there a cable disconnected or broken? If that's the case does it involve removing the ply panel and insulation in the door? Any recommended YouTube videos on the topic. TIA

OP
OP
J
Sep 30, 2013
SE Ireland
Funster No
MH
2017 Boxer PVC
Exp
Since Sept 2013
Can't remember fine details but definitely cable operated access from inside
Thanks for your insight; it's time to start removing the ply panel and doing a bit of exploring. It'll be a bit of time before I get round to doing it. I'll post further when I explore.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I attached a handle inside, fixed to the centre crossbar. It worked very well, and reduced the need to slam the door extra hard and therefore noisily. You could use a shortened leather doglead or similar.

OP
OP
J
Sep 30, 2013
SE Ireland
Funster No
MH
2017 Boxer PVC
Exp
Since Sept 2013
I attached a handle inside, fixed to the centre crossbar. It worked very well, and reduced the need to slam the door extra hard and therefore noisily. You could use a shortened leather doglead or similar.
That's another job on my list....after I sort the stop release cable issue.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with some conversions, the removal of the inner panel is complicated by fitted furniture in the way. A dumpy screwdriver or a driver bit in a ratchet is the only way and even then awkward. from outside, the latch is on the right, towards the rear of the van (RHD) and this is the hardest bit to access.

I got used to fixing sliding doors on builders vans from inside. No thought seems to go into adjusting/repairing or maintenance of sliding doors in van conversions. The same with accessing the back of the rear lights on many conversions

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
with some conversions, the removal of the inner panel is complicated by fitted furniture in the way. A dumpy screwdriver or a driver bit in a ratchet is the only way and even then awkward. from outside, the latch is on the right, towards the rear of the van (RHD) and this is the hardest bit to access.

I got used to fixing sliding doors on builders vans from inside. No thought seems to go into adjusting/repairing or maintenance of sliding doors in van conversions. The same with accessing the back of the rear lights on many conversions
Apologies for being a bit off topic, but what is the best way to “grease”, I use the term loosely here, the sliding door. Ours sounds like it is dry and scraping on something. It moves easily though.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Apologies for being a bit off topic, but what is the best way to “grease”, I use the term loosely here, the sliding door. Ours sounds like it is dry and scraping on something. It moves easily though.
I used Silicone spray, but it will dry in the heat so may need another application in a few months.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You need to lubricate the roller bearings. A tin of spray grease is what I use. Clean any dirt or contamination. Then carefully spray onto the moving parts top middle and bottom

OP
OP
J
Sep 30, 2013
SE Ireland
Funster No
MH
2017 Boxer PVC
Exp
Since Sept 2013
Hi again, as a few members speculated there was a loose cable internally on the closing mechanism. When I took off the ply panel (boy that was some job, as the TheBig1 mentioned above!) I found a dislodged cable-holder sitting on the fibre insulation inside the door. To pop the holder back into its proper seat I had to take off the door handle on the outside. It was an easy enough task refitting the cable and reassembling the handle & ply panel. I'm attaching a couple of pics - might be of assistance to others.

20240409_224932.jpg

20240409_225622.jpg

20240409_230306.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi again, as a few members speculated there was a loose cable internally on the closing mechanism. When I took off the ply panel (boy that was some job, as the TheBig1 mentioned above!) I found a dislodged cable-holder sitting on the fibre insulation inside the door. To pop the holder back into its proper seat I had to take off the door handle on the outside. It was an easy enough task refitting the cable and reassembling the handle & ply panel. I'm attaching a couple of pics - might be of assistance to others.

View attachment 892390

View attachment 892391

View attachment 892392
Next time get a step block of wood that will take the weight of the sliding door then remove the 2 bolts holding the door to the slider, the door can then swing out to 90 degrees from body so you can work on removing panel and get inside with plenty of space to work.
Solway conversions showed me how easy it is to do it.

OP
OP
J
Sep 30, 2013
SE Ireland
Funster No
MH
2017 Boxer PVC
Exp
Since Sept 2013
Next time get a step block of wood that will take the weight of the sliding door then remove the 2 bolts holding the door to the slider, the door can then swing out to 90 degrees from body so you can work on removing panel and get inside with plenty of space to work.
Solway conversions showed me how easy it is to do it.
Thanks for that info; fingers crossed I won't need to open it up again but .......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back