Bloatware windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have just done a clean install of windows 10 this has freed up my almost full drive C I have looked at the apps I had and removed as much as possible. I did the same thing a while ago and the bloatware came back, one thing I have done this time is to ditch AVG and go with windows defender, I suspect some bloating may be due to AVG's updates, although it mat also be Microsoft trying to get me to replace my old PC.

Any ideas to stop this happening again?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have just done a clean install of windows 10 this has freed up my almost full drive C I have looked at the apps I had and removed as much as possible. I did the same thing a while ago and the bloatware came back, one thing I have done this time is to ditch AVG and go with windows defender, I suspect some bloating may be due to AVG's updates, although it mat also be Microsoft trying to get me to replace my old PC.

Once you've got your Windows 10 installation in the "clean format" you want you can create an image of the operating system and installed software using either the inbuilt Backup and Restore functionality or a 3rd party tool like Macrium Reflect Free.

If you subsequently need \ want to reinstall the operating system you install this backup rather than the "return to manufacturer default" (or something like that).

pssst : this is a free option rather than spending wads of cash!:whistle2:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When I used to use Windows machines I would do a fresh install, add the programs and drivers I wanted installed. And then take a disk image using Acronis (no idea if it is still around)

All 'My Documents' were kept on Zip Drives, Then as soon as windows started slowing up, I would overwrite the hard disk with my disk image and in about 30 minutes it would be like a new machine again (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Once you've got your Windows 10 installation in the "clean format" you want you can create an image of the operating system and installed software using either the inbuilt Backup and Restore functionality or a 3rd party tool like Macrium Reflect Free.

If you subsequently need \ want to reinstall the operating system you install this backup rather than the "return to manufacturer default" (or something like that).

In addition to the above you can set-up a scheduled backup regime that does an incremental backup of your original file on a daily \ weekly \ monthly basis.

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Should have upgraded your hard drive to a big enough size that it wouldn't matter.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thanks for the help, I have created a restore point, I will see how it works when I need it. I always save by files to a usb hard drive and back them up to usb memory stick, this has served me well when a hard drive failed and I was able to restore everything from the stick and because I'm paranoid I also do a monthly back up to another hard drive which I keep away from the computer

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984

How did you know I'm a Yorkshireman?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for the help, I have created a restore point, I will see how it works when I need it. I always save by files to a usb hard drive and back them up to usb memory stick, this has served me well when a hard drive failed and I was able to restore everything from the stick and because I'm paranoid I also do a monthly back up to another hard drive which I keep away from the computer
Restore point is not the same as "Backup and Restore"!

A restore point only keeps a copy of the registery settings at the time of creation.

You need to do a full system image from -

Control Panel
Backup and restore (Windows 7) - ignore the Windows 7 text
Create a system image

You'll also need to create a "Create a system restore disc" in case you're restoring over a corrupted operating system.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Another way without spending huge amounts is to buy a ssid solid state hard disk larger than your present disk and copy the original hd using proprietary software, sometimes supplied with the new hd, or free from tinternet. You then have a full backup. I did it, it was easy (but scary), so just about anyone can. It was amazing how fast the old machine became. But either it slows down after a while, or you become used to it Or both. So for less than £100 I bought a few years more use out of my old laptop.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Restore point is not the same as "Backup and Restore"!

A restore point only keeps a copy of the registery settings at the time of creation.

You need to do a full system image from -

Control Panel
Backup and restore (Windows 7) - ignore the Windows 7 text
Create a system image

You'll also need to create a "Create a system restore disc" in case you're restoring over a corrupted operating system.
Thanks I'll do that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back