Black forest. (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2023
Merthyr Tydfil, UK
Funster No
MH
Giottivan
Exp
Hi All.
Planning on visiting the black forest in July. Any recomended sites. I have had a browse and was suprised how expensive German campsites are.
Also visiting Austria and was contemplating changing plans for Italy given the expense of Germany.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi All.
Planning on visiting the black forest in July. Any recomended sites. I have had a browse and was suprised how expensive German campsites are.
Also visiting Austria and was contemplating changing plans for Italy given the expense of Germany.
Welcome! I think you might find campsites are not very cheap anywhere. We are in Spain now and have paid up to €30 a night for some far from luxurious places. The ACSI scheme is a good starting point but you probably won't get ACSI rates in July. Germany has aires or stellplatzes. They can be busy in places like the Mosel. You should be able to get in but don't expect EHU.

We've visited the Black Forest and enjoyed it although we have also enjoyed Northern Italy. We've been all the way down to the toe of Italy but that's a long way unless you have plenty of time. But be prepared for sites anywhere being full in popular areas in July. Coastal sites in Italy can be fun, like the Spanish, they know how to party. :)

Austria I don't know from a MH perspective although I've camped there long ago. Check the rules for vignettes/Go Boxes if you plan to visit.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
Please stay at stellplatz there’s 6800+ to chose from average price from 7euro to 15euro you can use promobil app or any camper contact etc all within easy walk of the town or village.some are attached to swimming baths wellness centre eg Bad konighofen or on the Mosel Minheim there are top platz voted by German motorhomer/s there at least 150+of these,hope this helps.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
lots of great places. We had our Honeymoon in Germany 30 odd years ago.

We have toured in cars and motorhomes a lot. Many German Campsites are all singing all dancing.

Just use Stelplatz. There are some really great ones for free or €10 euros around

OP
OP
Bfreebt65
Feb 12, 2023
Merthyr Tydfil, UK
Funster No
MH
Giottivan
Exp
Welcome! I think you might find campsites are not very cheap anywhere. We are in Spain now and have paid up to €30 a night for some far from luxurious places. The ACSI scheme is a good starting point but you probably won't get ACSI rates in July. Germany has aires or stellplatzes. They can be busy in places like the Mosel. You should be able to get in but don't expect EHU.

We've visited the Black Forest and enjoyed it although we have also enjoyed Northern Italy. We've been all the way down to the toe of Italy but that's a long way unless you have plenty of time. But be prepared for sites anywhere being full in popular areas in July. Coastal sites in Italy can be fun, like the Spanish, they know how to party. :)

Austria I don't know from a MH perspective although I've camped there long ago. Check the rules for vignettes/Go Boxes if you plan to visit.
Thanks for the info.
Electric I could manage without, I am ok on gas and solar. I think we may tour black forest and holiday in Austria got 15 days to play with. Starting 1st July hopefully not too busy.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the info.
Electric I could manage without, I am ok on gas and solar. I think we may tour black forest and holiday in Austria got 15 days to play with. Starting 1st July hopefully not too busy.
Sounds like a good plan. There is a lot around that area and hopping over the border to France is easily done. Depending where you are crossing the Channel you could do a loop and return through France.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Personally prefer the Mosel / Necker
Black Forest is fine but didn't really click with us, not sure why?. Wherever you go there are loads of places to stop.
Stelplatz are ok but we are more into stopping at sites for a few days each.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Please stay at stellplatz there’s 6800+ to chose from average price from 7euro to 15euro you can use promobil app or any camper contact etc all within easy walk of the town or village.some are attached to swimming baths wellness centre eg Bad konighofen or on the Mosel Minheim there are top platz voted by German motorhomer/s there at least 150+of these,hope this helps.
Just come into France from Germany- yes, lots of great Stellplaetze but often a lot dearer than you imply. We found Northern Germany dearer, near the Baltic coast a lot of places (eg in Schwerin) were charging €25-30 with EHU on top if you want it. And very few were free.
The current issue of Promobil magazine has a survey showing average prices by region - light green on map below (most of the south) are up to €13.41, mid green (the north) are up to €18.15, the dark green (just Berlin and Hamburg) are over that. (Hope photo works!)
We did manage to find some great ones though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I don’t go up north to close to the sea but I’ve been going since 1973 was there for 90 days last year highest price payed nesselwang 15 euro lowest Mosel 7.50 euro and every were inbetween .

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Just come into France from Germany- yes, lots of great Stellplaetze but often a lot dearer than you imply. We found Northern Germany dearer, near the Baltic coast a lot of places (eg in Schwerin) were charging €25-30 with EHU on top if you want it. And very few were free.
The current issue of Promobil magazine has a survey showing average prices by region - light green on map below (most of the south) are up to €13.41, mid green (the north) are up to €18.15, the dark green (just Berlin and Hamburg) are over that. (Hope photo works!)
No pictures Solwaybuggier

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
IMG_2022.png

Hope this works! Sorry previous attempt failed!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have to agree. The Baltic coast is shocking for prices. We had planned on going there but Aires more expensive than acsi.

Austria is a lot more expensive than Germany owing to lack of stellpatzes but we are off there next month

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed at Camping Belchenblick at Staufen, nice site ten minutes walk in to town with rail and bus links and on arrival site gave us free pass tickets for use throughout Black Forest region.
A pleasant site with cafe and bar and occasional traditional entertainment.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Can you stop more than one night on a stellplatz? We like to stop for two nights so we have a full day to explore the locality on our ebikes. That also means our van is unattended, is that a problem?

Reactions: DBK
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Personally prefer the Mosel / Necker
Black Forest is fine but didn't really click with us, not sure why?. Wherever you go there are loads of places to stop.
Stelplatz are ok but we are more into stopping at sites for a few days each.
Agree with the comment regarding the Black Forest, we found it a big disappointment.
Love the Mosel area & Bavaria.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can you stop more than one night on a stellplatz? We like to stop for two nights so we have a full day to explore the locality on our ebikes. That also means our van is unattended, is that a problem?
I've not encountered a 24 hour limit on any stellplatz. They may exist but very rare I think. Most are run commercially so if you pay - you can stay. :)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We normally arrive mid afternoon stay the next day then move on the following morning, as we do Bavaria and the Romantic Road a lot most of the villages are not that far apart.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back