Best SIM card for Europe (4 Viewers)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We use Popit in our MiFi 100Gb per month for £25, suspend any time for £1 per month and no limit in EU.

Works well but you must activate and use in UK before travelling to the EU. Their fair use policy is easy to comply with on return.
Hi will the sim work in my old mobile so I can hotspot from it as don't have a mini

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Hi will the sim work in my old mobile so I can hotspot from it as don't have a mini
It should work in any modern phone. Popit allow hotspotting. Just need to check that your phone has the facility to provide a hotspot.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
IQ Go

You buy the sim for £20 for a year, then buy bolt-ons as you need them. I normally go for 100gb for £20, as we're big data users. No contract, stop and start when you like. I use ours in a TP Link. Never had any issues with it in France, Spain, Germany, UK.
Thanks for the info, I've just ordered after chatting to them via whatsapp. All my questions promptly answered. It "seems" at this moment to be good customer service based. I'm hoping thats the case :) I just forgot to ask. Does it need to be activated in UK?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Another Tesco mobile user here, you can use all of your data even if you have an unlimited contract for two months in every four, although myself and some others have done three months with no issues, they do expect you to use it in the UK as well but that shouldn't be too difficult for most people. I'm on an unlimited contract £24/month with a clubcard.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
Last summer I found Popit worked well in the EU, but it was a nightmare to get out of when I got back to the UK. They have some unspecified amount of UK use to balance the EU use, which is fair enough, but they don’t let you know the rules. They tried charging me for 2 extra months after I wanted to cancel.

Trying helloIQ this summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
A couple of weeks time we are off to France, Spain and Portugal for 6 weeks.

What is flavour of the month for a SIM card deal for roaming using my Huawei Mifi unit attached to a 4G roof aerial? We are not users of huge amounts of data, but will need more than the 12Gb per month roaming allowances on each of our phones which Smarty allows. Do not want a long contract, rather one that renews monthly, like our Smarty SIMS. Looking at Lebarra SIm which would give us 30Gb per month. That is as far as I have got.

We will mainly in Spain and Portugal. We used to be able to get a 15 or 30 day unlimited SIM from NOS in Portugal, but I am not sure that it will cover Spain as well. We will be going to Spain first and then onto Portugal probably, so is there anything similar in Spain?
When you get to Spain buy a local pay as you go sim that’s what I did. Regards nick

RWA

Aug 26, 2023
Funster No
MH
Pegaso
I’m currently using the RWG 200gb (100gb in the EU) ‘Big Data’ £20 pcm SIM in a Teltonika router, and on the west coast of Portugal recently had 124.0Mbps down and 34.6Mbps up through my iPhone on WiFi to it, which is incredibly fast. It’s worked well coming down through France and Spain and I have no issues with it.
Hi. I cannot find the cancellation terms for this package on the website. Could you tell me? many thanks!

Oct 3, 2023
Buckingham, UK
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter CR35 LWB
Exp
Several years under the belt....
Connectpls have a great unlimited all EU deal which gets great reviews on TrustPilot

Jun 26, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Summit Prime 600
Exp
15 yrs
IQ Go

You buy the sim for £20 for a year, then buy bolt-ons as you need them. I normally go for 100gb for £20, as we're big data users. No contract, stop and start when you like. I use ours in a TP Link. Never had any issues with it in France, Spain, Germany, UK.
We use the IQ, Excellent coverage in France loss of coverage in some parts of Spain. But worked well watching tv through a Firestick.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Morning Bolti
I am using Tesco pay as you go sim in my 5G. Compact pro wifi. Will this be active in France ?
Regards
Bob
Yes it can be used in France, if it has been activated first in the UK. The correct APN settings need to be applied.
Sorry don't know what a 5G. Compact pro wifi. is? Also be aware that O2 based sims (tesco mobile) cannot be used in routers (O2 rule) they can and often do shut down the sim. Also t&c's state only 63 days usage roaming but I have managed 4 months without being warned.

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013

What is flavour of the month for a SIM card deal for roaming using my Huawei Mifi unit attached to a 4G roof aerial? We are not users of huge amounts of data, but will need more than the 12Gb per month roaming allowances on each of our phones which Smarty allows. Do not want a long contract, rather one that renews monthly, like our Smarty SIMS. Looking at Lebarra SIm which would give us 30Gb per month. That is as far as I have got.

We will mainly in Spain and Portugal. We used to be able to get a 15 or 30 day unlimited SIM from NOS in Portugal, but I am not sure that it will cover Spain as well. We will be going to Spain first and then onto Portugal probably, so is there anything similar in Spain?
Popit is excellent. 100gb/mo for £25
No contract as such, as you can cancel or switch to £1/mo whilst not using.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Also be aware that O2 based sims (tesco mobile) cannot be used in routers (O2 rule) they can and often do shut down the sim
Just to clarify this, Tesco t&c say the sims are for use in mobile devices only, so they work in mifi's, but may not work in a router that is deemed to be not a mobile device.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Was on RWG but cancelled when found out (not from them!) that they had reduced eu use to 20gb.
I'm well aware that many folk here are pathologically averse to watching TV at all while away, preferring to practise yoga /write their memoirs/engage in tantric sex etc, but if you do want to catch up on UK TV, a UK sim will allow it. I know you can use VPNs, but my experience of them has not been great.
So now on IQ GO with Firestick. Working OK here, away to Belgium Monday with 100gb for £20. Enough for East Enders and Blue Lights 😉

Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie

We have just returned from a month in Portugal and Spain . We have similar mifi setup and used Popit sim 100gb package for £30 a month . Only thing is it has to be activated in uk before leaving and you have to use it back in uk on return to show usage so I stream a few movies back in uk before cancelling . This can mean you might have to take out the extra month depending on how your return home lines up with monthly renewal . I’m not quite sure why they stipulate this unless it’s just a way to make more money . Other than that thier customer services is very good and the sim and data worked perfectly no buffering

Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie

Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie

My mistake in my reply . It’s not £30 a month . It’s £25 a month for 100gb

E1810C10-CC47-4ACD-AEA4-09350A70B2BB.png

Sep 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
I can't see that deal on the Tiekom website, does it still exist? I only want a data sim. Cheers
Another vote for Tiekom.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Hi. I cannot find the cancellation terms for this package on the website. Could you tell me? many thanks!

If you create an account, login, and then select ‘View or Edit My Subscriptions’, you can cancel from there.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm well aware that many folk here are pathologically averse to watching TV at all while away, preferring to practise yoga /write their memoirs/engage in tantric sex etc, but if you do want to catch up on UK TV, a UK sim will allow it.
:rofl:

peterc10. Not being aware of my ID Mobile data roaming allowance in the EU at the time Peter, I bought a Spanish Lebara sim card in January. At the time it was 100Gb a month for €15, and the young lady in the shop set it up for me for an extra €2, and why not? 👍 It worked a treat everywhere we went.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: f6c

RWA

Aug 26, 2023
Funster No
MH
Pegaso
If you create an account, login, and then select ‘View or Edit My Subscriptions’, you can cancel from there.
Thanks. Can you cancel at any time and only pay for the current month?

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Thanks. Can you cancel at any time and only pay for the current month?

Yes, mine cancelled at the end of the month in which I notified them and the following months payment wasn’t taken.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all the advice concerning my OP. I bought an IQ Go sim card in mid March and it has worked well in France, Spain and now in Portugal. My only gripe is that they do not send you a warning message when it is near to running out. I will be using it again when we next venture into Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back