Bailey Hartal Habitation Door (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Can anyone help me with my 2013 Bailey Motorhome door.
The
VanDoor.jpg
door has works fine since new, however over the new year holiday the outside catch has stopped working.
The situation is that inside all works correctly, the catch opens and locks the door . the remote locks and unlocks the door.
Outside the door acts as if its locked all the time and I can't get into the MH. The key will lock and unlock the door but the door won't open. I have to entry the MH by a cab door and open the habitation door from the inside.
Looking at the door it looks like I need to remove the brown portion of the inside facing but I can't see away to remove this, no screws visible.

Suggestions as to how to fix the problem or name someone who can fix it in the Cirencester area.

Many Thanks

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Are you on the Bailey Motorhome Owners group on facebook? Lots of Bailey specific people on there may be able to help.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Just had a quick search on the Bailey FB group looks like someone has also had the challenge of trying to remove the inner plastic, it appears that it's mainly held on with velcro hence the lack of visible screws. This would appear to be borne out looking at the picture he put up (autograph model) if you look you can see several black strips of velcro.

94978510_10158869344114893_8858994252776996864_n.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Common problem, it will probably be either be a broken spring in the latch mechanism or a bent rod.

The door panel is just sprung in around the edge and a right bar*sted to get out and even harder to get back in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
20 years
TheView attachment 851728 door has works fine since new, however over the new year holiday the outside catch has stopped working.
The situation is that inside all works correctly, the catch opens and locks the door . the remote locks and unlocks the door.
Outside the door acts as if its locked all the time and I can't get into the MH. The key will lock and unlock the door but the door won't open. I have to entry the MH by a cab door and open the habitation door from the inside.
Looking at the door it looks like I need to remove the brown portion of the inside facing but I can't see away to remove this, no screws visible.

Suggestions as to how to fix the problem or name someone who can fix it in the Cirencester area.

Many Thanks
I had a problem and was confused about how to get into panel , this post by Ingwe was very clear and helpful.

Broken wires in habitation door on Swift Bolero​

Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
I had the issue on our Autograph. There are a couple of screws if I remember correctly then just velcro.
There was a plastic clip broken from the outer handle and the rod had fallen out. I put the rod back in to place, I then got an unused mudflap clip/bracket and bent it to hold the rod in place and there is a hole that you can screw it to to hold it in place. It is really easy when you see it (took me about an hour to do) and is far stronger, with a better feel to the handle than before. Been working perfectly for over a year now. Sorry I don't have photos.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
TheView attachment 851728 door has works fine since new, however over the new year holiday the outside catch has stopped working.

Many Thanks
Hello, just seen your post. This is a common problem, one we’ve had just recently.
Here is a link to an article that tells you how to remove the cover and also to fix the broken lug that is probably the cause of the problem you describe.

To access the screws that hold the brown cover in place there are two torx screws under white plastic covers that need removing with a pointed implement as they are quite tight. Don’t gouge yourself or the van! The third screw is also under a white plastic cover and is right behind the lock. Attached is a photo where I’ve marked where the screws are.

IMG_1586.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
There was a plastic clip broken from the outer handle and the rod had fallen out. I put the rod back in to place, I then got an unused mudflap clip/bracket and bent it to hold the rod in place and there is a hole that you can screw it to to hold it in place.
I realise that you don’t have photos but can you please describe a little more and preferably show a photo of the mudflap clip and bracket that you bent to hold the rod in place?
There is a similar little plastic clip that keeps the rod in place but it is very brittle and I suspect it will break fairly easily, especially having to clip and unclip the rod as I try to repair the broken lug on the lock or even when replacing the lug.

I’m struggling to visualise what you did. Thanks a lot.

Sep 24, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build low profile
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry, I have not been on line much lately, the mud flap clip is bent through 180 degrees in normal form with a hole at one end. It holds a mudflap in place and a small bolt bolts to the wheel arch. Where my clip was broken I pushed the rod back in to place, straightened the mudflap clip with pliers to get the right amount of force against the rod. About halfway up the door catch rod, there is a small hole which I have screwed the clip into with a self tapping screw. This pushes against the rod to keep it in place. It does away with the broken clip. Has been working perfectly for about a year and is stronger than the plastic clip that broke. Let me know how you get on. I can always remove the door and take photos for you when I get home from work in 3 weeks if you need me to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back