Bailey Advance slow to drain gray (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Mutsubis fuso/canter
Exp
5 years
Hi folks, as the title says.

People I know have recently purchased a Bailey Advance motor home.
They have owned it for around 4 months now. Not sure if new or s/hand.
They are saying that the gray waste takes forever to drain. Not good when at a dump site.

Is this a common thing or more than likely an issue somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Edit: It's pre-loved.
:giggle:

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
MR BLO - I had a Bailey caravan once with exactly the same problem. The drain was so slow that it could be half an hour before a sink full of water had cleared.

And if the previous owners were careless when washing up, and let small bits of food go down the plughole, then there could be something blocking the pipe which makes an existing problem even worse.
I would be inclined to bung bottle of a waste-unblocker solution into the system and see if that helps. Your friends might have to do this more than once.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
MR BLO -
I would be inclined to bung bottle of a waste-unblocker solution into the system and see if that helps. Your friends might have to do this more than once.
Be very careful it you do that, a lot of the products are caustic they heat up and soften the plastic pipes distorting & wrecking them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Be very careful it you do that, a lot of the products are caustic they heat up and soften the plastic pipes distorting & wrecking them.

You're absolutely right - I was thinking of something fairly gentle. I use Mr Muscle unblocker gel at home, plastic pipes, no problems [yet!]

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Solved this in my 740SE. Took courage. Cut a 50mm hole in the bottom of the waste tank directly under the internal inspection cover. Fitted a pond gate valve, slide type, and extended the handle. Waste water emptied 30 secs. Also fitted a standard fresh water filler, but thats another story.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Solved this in my 740SE. Took courage. Cut a 50mm hole in the bottom of the waste tank directly under the internal inspection cover. Fitted a pond gate valve, slide type, and extended the handle. Waste water emptied 30 secs. Also fitted a standard fresh water filler, but thats another story.
Often thought of doing that modification for when a fast dump.is called for !!! do you have piccy of the finished project?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Might be worth the poster checking there is not any swarf blocking the tank outlet at the tank end of the waste pipe - that has been a cause in the past on some Baileys. Unscrew the waste pipe at the tank end and take a look. 20240424_124955.jpg

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Friends with an Eldiss had the same. Small bore pipe and even smaller tap at the end. Painfully slow.
They got a plumber to put in a much larger pipe set.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The outlet pipe is the main issue closely followed by a lack of a vent off the tank. In that case the water flowing out causes a pressure lock in the tank as no air coming in to replace it.

My advice is upgrade to a large smooth bore drain and fit a vent at the top of the tank

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Must be a lot of ex tuggers - they've been making Motorhomes for the last 13 years 😁
Never been a tugger and perfectly happy with our 2012 Approach. It is slow to drain, though nothing like 30 mins for a sink. Whole tank (100 litres) takes about 20 minutes. Have thought about fitting a wider bore pipe and tap but it’s not a priority.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Often thought of doing that modification for when a fast dump.is called for !!! do you have piccy of the finished project?
Somewhere, but there really is nothing to see. Just a black square stuck to the bottom of the tank. If you have a look at the valve it will become clear. By fitting it directly under the inspection cap, you can get your hand in with a spanner when doing up the four stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
From my expierence of Bailey, its not a blockage problem, but a design problem
Tiny diameter corrigated pipe mated to a baffled cheap plastic tap.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
This issue isn't confined to Bailey vehicles. It's a "feature" on many vans that have the pathetic sized 28mm grey tap with a bit of pipe back to the tank somewhere under the vehicle.

Fortunately I can only hold 60 litres of grey waste (which often stinks far more than the toilet cassette, especially as there don't seem to be any decent traps between basin / sink / shower and the tank), so draining time is usually around 20 minutes. Usually carry both the unblocking hose thing to stick back up the pipe with the tap removed (top tip do make sure that tap mounted fully after removal or it will go missing somewhere on the M5 near Bristol), and regular use of a tank cleaner such as Fenwicks.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Why do I read here of Morelo owners (not exactly the cheap end of the market) having to drive to Germany to get things fixed.
One thing I have learned from reading the pages or this Forum is that no manufacturer is incapable of producing a real lemon when the planets align no matter what country they hail from.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why do I read here of Morelo owners (not exactly the cheap end of the market) having to drive to Germany to get things fixed.
One thing I have learned from reading the pages or this Forum is that no manufacturer is incapable of producing a real lemon when the planets align no matter what country they hail from.
Because there is only dealer in the UK and owners prefer to take them to the factory to get them sorted. Most owners bought them in Germany.

Although I could get my Hymer fixed in the UK prefer to take it to my Belgium dealer. None of this silly waiting for months a quick call and book it in for next week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back