Backpack to hold thetford cassette. (4 Viewers)

Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023
Anyone recommend a backpack that can fit a bog cassette in (min. 46x32x25) ? You can;'t just enter those dimensions into amazon et al, it seems.

I'm guessing you can't just carry them into a motorway service station ...

edit - ok, found some wheelie cases. Is that more or less suspicious than a backpack?

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
If you’re happy dumping your cassette in public toilets and feel there’s nothing wrong with doing that why do you need a bag? Why not just carry the cassette in?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
and we wonder why, people in Motorhomes get a bad reputation for being selfish?

I have never done it and would never think of emptying my cassette down a toilet that some poor soul, perhaps desperately because there is no other empty cubicle, has to use.

IF you are not using chemicals, (there are plenty of 'green' products out there) What's wrong in carrying a small spade, finding a layby and disposing of it in the woods and helping nature?

Better still, do what I do when not already staying on a campsite, and every few days, spend a few quid and help the local economy, by staying on a Campsite (and it doesn't have to be the most expensive!)
If campsites are not your thing, just because you have paid for the night, emptied all your cassettes (you have to find space for a unhygienic large bag, so you must have space for a second cassette) and filled up with fresh water. you do not have to stay or go to the expense of buying a large stealth bag.

I have a question for you frequent users, because all the cubicles I have been in do not have this facility, how/where do you rinse you cassette after emptying it or do you wait until you return to your MH and use your own precision water?
Somehow, I can't see you doing that? 🤔

Not that I've ever used a service station or tesco toilet to dump a cassette I have used a fair few public toilets at beach carparks etc to dump one. I never used chemicals in my loo either.

Emptying a cassette down a toilet flushing it and making sure it's clean is no different to someone just using the toilet... the only difference is the quantity.

Your mention of digging a hole with a spade. I have done this on many occasions BUT you've to be very careful where you do it AND these days you have to make sure no one sees you doing it because some people are horrified with bodily fluids and think the worlds going to end. If they see you carrying a toilet cassette anywhere that isn't on a campsite they immediately want to ring the local paper and kick up a fuss about someone dumping toilet waste in a hedge. And there's always some bugger pops up from somewhere. Often trying to be discrete just makes you look suspicious.

Campsites....sorry but there is just no appeal to me whatsoever to go on one for any reason .

If you carry 2 cassettes you gotta empty 2 cassettes so you just end up with double the trouble.

As for rinsing a cassette the ONLY time you need to rinse a cassette is if you're not going to be using the camper for a while otherwise you're just wasting your time ... its dirty again the first time you use it.

These days I have a wide necked 3 litre plastic bottle for liquid .. that lasts a whole day and I can discard that down a drain , in bushes etc where it does no harm . For solids it's very simple to just line the loo with a degradable food waste bag and then dispose of it in a bin the same way you'd dispose of dog poop. It's mess free, hassle free and it deals with one incident at a time.

It really is the simplest method . I'm not sure why more people with motorhomes don't do it.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you’re happy dumping your cassette in public toilets and feel there’s nothing wrong with doing that why do you need a bag? Why not just carry the cassette in?
Because you might be happy but the shop staff won't be . Because the brits and some other nationalities have gone soft and think normal bodily functions is gross.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
daventess
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023

If that was directed at me, then I think there's a difference between public perception and something being illegal or harmful.

If you remember the wonderful days of Easyjet, before you could book an actual seat, they would invite "speedy boarding" passengers to board first. But - the crowd were already packed (and usually drunk) around the entrance, and it took a very headstrong person indeed to push past that to take advantage of their more expensive ticket. Not many did. They were right to try, but you had to fight the public first.

And try having a non-visible disability and taking advantage of disabled facilities without incurring the wrath of the good old British public...

So I do separate the views of my Fellow Man with what you are allowed to do, but I don't always want the fight that goes with it. I'm 117 you know.

I still want to reiterate I would rather pay for an "official" emptying point. This has been a fun read, though :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
why is it hard work...

there are as many CLs and small independent camp sites in the UK as there are aires in France.. all have full facilities .. and hundreds of free dumping points without using public toilets ..

They're usually in the middle of nowhere with rubbish public transport and life threatening walking and cycling routes

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If that was directed at me, then I think there's a difference between public perception and something being illegal or harmful.

If you remember the wonderful days of Easyjet, before you could book an actual seat, they would invite "speedy boarding" passengers to board first. But - the crowd were already packed (and usually drunk) around the entrance, and it took a very headstrong person indeed to push past that to take advantage of their more expensive ticket. Not many did. They were right to try, but you had to fight the public first.

And try having a non-visible disability and taking advantage of disabled facilities without incurring the wrath of the good old British public...

So I do separate the views of my Fellow Man with what you are allowed to do, but I don't always want the fight that goes with it. I'm 117 you know.

I still want to reiterate I would rather pay for an "official" emptying point. This has been a fun read, though :)
Wait till you start a grey water thread.

I personally never close my grey water valve unless I'm on a ferry 😁

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have only once used a public toilet, at a rally, where that was the designated dump point. Do empty it in the toilet at home and give it a good clean every now and again.
The dump points at some camp sites leave a lot to be desired, have encountered some filthy, but 2 one in France the other in Italy where i would have needed steps to be able to reach. John did empty it on those occasions.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They're usually in the middle of nowhere with rubbish public transport and life threatening walking and cycling routes
a bit like the NC500 ... I wonder why it is so popular 🤔..

we can make up as many reasons as required to build an argument why one country is better than another ..

for example..
some would point to parking on a dusty aire listening to your neighbour having a dump in the morning as being ideal because it is close to the town and cycle routes .. eg Honfleur.. and many others I know.. we use but they are far from ideal.. nor are they free..

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
IMG_5398.jpeg

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
If stealth is required, you must feel that it's not the right thing to do.
Where it's OK, you can be blatant and even use the wheels on the cassette if necessary.
It's more to do with other peoples sensitivities and squeamishness than right or wrong, or we wouldn't bother with toilet doors and just have a communal seating area like the Romans used to do.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Not that I've ever used a service station or tesco toilet to dump a cassette I have used a fair few public toilets at beach carparks etc to dump one. I never used chemicals in my loo either.

Emptying a cassette down a toilet flushing it and making sure it's clean is no different to someone just using the toilet... the only difference is the quantity.

Your mention of digging a hole with a spade. I have done this on many occasions BUT you've to be very careful where you do it AND these days you have to make sure no one sees you doing it because some people are horrified with bodily fluids and think the worlds going to end. If they see you carrying a toilet cassette anywhere that isn't on a campsite they immediately want to ring the local paper and kick up a fuss about someone dumping toilet waste in a hedge. And there's always some bugger pops up from somewhere. Often trying to be discrete just makes you look suspicious.

Campsites....sorry but there is just no appeal to me whatsoever to go on one for any reason .

If you carry 2 cassettes you gotta empty 2 cassettes so you just end up with double the trouble.

As for rinsing a cassette the ONLY time you need to rinse a cassette is if you're not going to be using the camper for a while otherwise you're just wasting your time ... its dirty again the first time you use it.

These days I have a wide necked 3 litre plastic bottle for liquid .. that lasts a whole day and I can discard that down a drain , in bushes etc where it does no harm . For solids it's very simple to just line the loo with a degradable food waste bag and then dispose of it in a bin the same way you'd dispose of dog poop. It's mess free, hassle free and it deals with one incident at a time.

It really is the simplest method . I'm not sure why more people with motorhomes don't do it.
If everyone, especially men, followed your example, there would be a lot less need for the emptying of cassettes, but most don't.
They want the convenience of using the loo, just like at home, but not the inconvenience of emptying it correctly or the expense of visiting a campsite.

You may find no appeal in visiting a campsite, that's just like me, I find no appeal in emptying the loo, but it has to be done occasionally. 😄
As I said before, no-one forced anyone to stay! 🤔

In answer to your last question, they would have to buy the bags and that takes money and the inconvenience of having to purchase them.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It's more to do with other peoples sensitivities and squeamishness than right or wrong, or we wouldn't bother with toilet doors and just have a communal seating area like the Romans used to do.
Mike.
Never mind the Romans, you can still find it in the wilds of Sweden! 😄

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If everyone, especially men, followed your example, there would be a lot less need for the emptying of cassettes, but most don't.
They want the convenience of using the loo, just like at home, but not the inconvenience of emptying it correctly or the expense of visiting a campsite.

You may find no appeal in visiting a campsite, that's just like me, I find no appeal in emptying the loo, but it has to be done occasionally. 😄
As I said before, no-one forced anyone to stay! 🤔

In answer to your last question, they would have to buy the bags and that takes money and the inconvenience of having to purchase them.
They're not expensive though , I only started buying them this year as I just used dog poo bags before . But these are easier. It's around 2 euros for 60 bags and that does at least a month but probably 6 weeks

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
IF you are not using chemicals, (there are plenty of 'green' products out there) What's wrong in carrying a small spade, finding a layby and disposing of it in the woods and helping nature?

Probably nothing, BUT if you are see, your actions are almost certain to be misinterpreted and misrepresented.

A million years ago, before motorhome, we would, as a group, wild camp and thw morning 'shovel parade' was the norm.

No longer acceptable I suspect, with the arrival of phone cameras.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Probably nothing, BUT if you are see, your actions are almost certain to be misinterpreted and misrepresented.

A million years ago, before motorhome, we would, as a group, wild camp and thw morning 'shovel parade' was the norm.

A lot of people still do it and I've done it myself but as you say it's difficult to ever be completely out of sight unless you did the same idea as the service station idea and carried it off somewhere in a hold all.

It's the reason I never actually do a pee outside but will go in and pee in a bottle and empty it later when it's dark ... because its guaranteed as soon as you go to do a pee someone appears from nowhere.

And people seem to not mind dogs, horses. Cows etc doing a pee outside but if a human does it they're disgusted . It's a strange world

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003
I can’t think of anything much worse than emptying in a public toilet, cheeky beyond my morals . I wouldn’t do it in my bathroom , this just seems wrong somehow
In the words of Cpt Mainwaring, I think you getting into the realms of fantasy there Jones..... What is going through my somewhat bizarre thoughts is the other occupants of the traps either side of the impending deluge. Picture if you will, just sitting, I said sitting there not a care in the world. Then your peace, I said peace is ever so slightly shattered by the sound of what can only be described as "fallout" of nuclear proportion. Can you imagine the noises, not to mention the smell.
If that is what some people do, when they open the trap door to come out is there a team of Doctors, medics and an ambulance waiting.

Just for curio. If this is the kind of thing that "we" get up to, doesn't that somewhat justify what some people think of "us" 🤮

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Who needs dump points…..

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Do you think then, that if the bag idea gets more accepted and a stream of MHers are taking big bags into cubicals, that's not going to be misinterpreted?

I can see the Security guard now, looking at the CCTV and saying especially if he's ex navy, look ere George, we've got a group of Funsters, 'bagging off'. 😄

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
said peace is ever so slightly shattered by the sound of what can only be described as "fallout" of nuclear proportion. Can you imagine the noises, not to mention the smell.
🤮
Long time since i emptied in a public toilet and that was one of those metal ones with no seat in Ireland ,tend to use Haven and C&C holidaysites in the uk, but i do very often empty at home and then i flush the toilet and press the button on the cassette and its always clean and no mess.As for other peoples toilet habits the number of times i have had to clean or flush other peoples crap before i can use it is unbelievable in the UK and in Europe.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back