Baby field mouse........ (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I found a baby field mouse in our garden, there was also a dead one, so it seems that the nest has been disturbed.
I took advice from a local wildlife rescue, so i'm going to try to save him/her.
Have any other funsters had any experience helping one of these wee souls.
Right, off to get the kitten milk.
20190626_192547.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In the old days you could get iodine in a little bottle which had a rubber bulb in the cap and a glass "dropper". They were perfect for feeding little critters.

As an alternative you could try a very fine tube, say the empty clean end of a biro refill, dip in the milk and put a finger over the end. Or a tiny paint brush perhaps?

Mousie will need to be kept warm.

Good luck. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know it's sad and an awful thing to say, but it will probably die in a day or so with you nursing it or in a few hours without. It's natural, and we should not interfere
Thankyou for being the kind person you are for caring though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I found a baby field mouse in our garden, there was also a dead one, so it seems that the nest has been disturbed.
I took advice from a local wildlife rescue, so i'm going to try to save him/her.
Have any other funsters had any experience helping one of these wee souls.
Right, off to get the kitten milk.
View attachment 313555
Bless you for trying Hazel, best of luck

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Thank you all...….yes it is going to be difficult, the wildlife centre did say they are very, very difficult to rear, but also that it was worth trying. They also advised that a small soft brush is the best way to give them milk, it doesn't flood them with it.
I have name him Gerald.
I have to give him a chance, I can't just leave him, i'm sure many others would do the same.
As you can see in the photo, he fell asleep in my hand.
Right, the cat has been milked, so off to feed & toilet Gerald.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
He’s so tiny !
I read on the net that putting some water in a bottle top so they can lap it is required . That way they don’t get dehydrated. To keep him warm and cosy and in a relatively dark environment. Toilet tube and shredded paper in a box. Good luck . Keep is all posted. They like seeds and nuts and even worms and carrion too.

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Don’t forget to wipe his nether regions to enable him to do bodily functions.

Might be something required, as with puppies and kittens when they are too young to relieve themselves
Thanks & yes I did, he did a pee.:)

He has a tub with shredded paper & a small to hide in.
He is now sleeping in my hand.
I am going to feed him every 3-4 hours night & day.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
oh ... he is adorable. Please keep strong little fella ... we are all rooting for you.

Good luck with the feeding and watering ... don't forget he would normally be in dark place so as Bev says, watch the lighting. I so hope he survives ... Come on Gerald .. you can do it. Xxxx

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Perhaps I should tell you all about a chick one of my hens kept kicking out into the cold, I kept returning it, but the same thing kept happening.
Well there was only one thing for it, I made a hammock out of kitchen roll and tucked each end under each bra strap.
Then of course 'he' the chap I was with at the time wanted to go to the pub and I had to take him. :rolleyes: So chick had to come too.
Can you imagine the looks when my chest chirped and the amount of locals (mostly men for some reason) wanting to see the chick.:unsure:
Yes the chick grew up to become a lovely hen.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Pleased to say he is loving his milk and seems to like licking it off my finger, which is fine.
He has also done his toileting again and slept most of the evening in my hand.....I had him in my left hand and I was tickling Pepsi's tummy with my right, talk about cat & mouse.
The video is of Gerald immediately after some milk, that's why you can still see small traces of it on my hand.:D

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Keep up the good work, he will need 24/7 attention and lots of feeds fairly often.
You may well succeed.
I hand reared a Partridge-from the egg-people who know about these things said it couldn’t be done, Game birds do not take to human intervention, but I did it, it turned into a lovely bird that sunbathed with the dogs and came to a whistle!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hazel, It will be good to follow your progress playing mummy. You might never get rid of it. Will you keep it as a pet?

Gerald is VERY lucky to have you as a foster mum. If I had found it , lets just say it wouldn't be alive today. Pesky little things used to find their way into my garage and work their way through my vending machine stock, and one even ended up inside a machine :-(

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Hazel, It will be good to follow your progress playing mummy. You might never get rid of it. Will you keep it as a pet?

Gerald is VERY lucky to have you as a foster mum. If I had found it , lets just say it wouldn't be alive today. Pesky little things used to find their way into my garage and work their way through my vending machine stock, and one even ended up inside a machine :-(
Ah but this is a field mouse, if I succeed I will take him to a suitable release site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back