Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So we are planning to take our two we Babies ( Dogs , Shitzu & West highland terrier ) with us to Europe most likey France / Spain
They have pet passports with their rabies vaccination's dates as followed marked in the pet passport.
is everything in order here? and if so do i still need to get a AHC ?
IMG_20220605_104450.jpg
IMG_20220605_104500.jpg

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Bart, it's in a UK passport? If so then it's not valid for use to travel to the EU. I see it was a Rabies vaccine administered by a UK vet but pre withdrawal, so if it is an EU issued passport ( France, Germany, Spain wherever) I think it would be OK.
You really need an AHC and when you are in the EU get a new EU passport and a Rabies booster by an EU vet at the same time.
I do have one other concern. No sticker on the Rabies entry, I thought they always needed that to be valid.
So basically, that passport has issues. Get an AHC to travel out. Janie

EDIT: You are in Ireland, pop over the border and get new EU passports. Really easy! Cheap. Lots of people would be jealous!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Bart, it's in a UK passport? If so then it's not valid for use to travel to the EU. I see it was a Rabies vaccine administered by a UK vet but pre withdrawal, so if it is an EU issued passport ( France, Germany, Spain wherever) I think it would be OK.
You really need an AHC and when you are in the EU get a new EU passport and a Rabies booster by an EU vet at the same time.
I do have one other concern. No sticker on the Rabies entry, I thought they always needed that to be valid.
So basically, that passport has issues. Get an AHC to travel out. Janie

EDIT: You are in Ireland, pop over the border and get new EU passports. Really easy! Cheap. Lots of people would be jealous!
Yes they are UK passports , as for the Irish passports i think that will have to be a thing for our next trip ,, as if im not mistaken any Rabies jabs etc must be on a date on or after the date that the microchip info in the PP has to be filled out, so id have to buy the irish PP then get the dogs the rabies jab again which would prevent us from travelling to france / spain as that trip will be happening in around 10 days time.

tomorrow we will get a price from our vet and ask about AHC , failing that we will get the AHC sone in folkstone where ive seen several people here recommend.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Also this part that you said "I do have one other concern. No sticker on the Rabies entry, I thought they always needed that to be valid."

it worries me as well

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
If you‘re going to Europe via Folkestone/Dover you can get an emergency AHC at https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiYhoDVr5P4AhUHR8AKHXHeA5YQtwJ6BAgPEAE&url=https://www.abbeywellvets.co.uk/animal-health-certificates/&usg=AOvVaw0XvJZocH29X2-bqW9P_sMW
You will need up to date rabies certs etc. But best to check what evidence they will need by consulting the web site. They offer a 24hour turn round if necessary.

Cheers!

Russ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A vet in Carndonagh, just over the border near Malin Head, provided us with two PPs. You won't need AHCs to go over the border, and once you get EU PPs you won't need AHCs any more. They already had UK PPs, and the vet told us that the rabies jabs recorded in the UK PPs were still valid, and to keep the UK PPs with the EU PPs until the rabies jab expired and a new rabies jab was required.

I think there was some requirement, when they need the next rabies jab, for an EU vet to do/record the rabies jab, other vets not allowed to record it in the EU PP. For re-entry back to UK, the worming tablet treatment could be done/recorded by any vet, but since you would probably be in the EU anyway, that would be an EU vet.

Last edited:
Reactions: maz
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If you‘re going to Europe via Folkestone/Dover you can get an emergency AHC at https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiYhoDVr5P4AhUHR8AKHXHeA5YQtwJ6BAgPEAE&url=https://www.abbeywellvets.co.uk/animal-health-certificates/&usg=AOvVaw0XvJZocH29X2-bqW9P_sMW
You will need up to date rabies certs etc. But best to check what evidence they will need by consulting the web site. They offer a 24hour turn round if necessary.

Cheers!

Russ
Thanks , yip that's the vets I seen got a few thumbs up from people in MHF

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
A vet in Carndonagh, just over the border near Malin Head, provided us with two PPs. You won't need AHCs to go over the border, and once you get EU PPs you won't need AHCs any more. They already had UK PPs, and the vet told us that the rabies jabs recorded in the UK PPs were still valid, and to keep the UK PPs with the EU PPs until the rabies jab expired and a new rabies jab was required.

I think there was some requirement, when they need the next rabies jab, for an EU vet to do/record the rabies jab, other vets not allowed to record it in the EU PP. For re-entry back to UK, the worming tablet treatment could be done/recorded by any vet, but since you would probably be in the EU anyway, that would be an EU vet.
Thanks if I got that route I'll check it out :) , good to hear about the rabies jabs

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes they are UK passports , as for the Irish passports i think that will have to be a thing for our next trip ,, as if im not mistaken any Rabies jabs etc must be on a date on or after the date that the microchip info in the PP has to be filled out, so id have to buy the irish PP then get the dogs the rabies jab again which would prevent us from travelling to france / spain as that trip will be happening in around 10 days time.

tomorrow we will get a price from our vet and ask about AHC , failing that we will get the AHC sone in folkstone where ive seen several people here recommend.
You would need another Rabies jab but the present rabies jab has not expired, so no need to wait 21 days....
Last year we took a dog from Spain to UK for someone. She had a UK passport which technically wasn't valid for crossing from Spain to France. We didn't want issues. So her owner took her to the vets got a Spanish passport and new rabies booster. It was valid immediately because her previous rabies had not expired. Loads of people are doing the Irish passport thing and travelling straight back and on.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks if I got that route I'll check it out :) , good to hear about the rabies jabs
Personally I would not want to be arguing the toss at French pp control. I would want a rabies booster in the new PP.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You would need another Rabies jab but the present rabies jab has not expired, so no need to wait 21 days....
Last year we took a dog from Spain to UK for someone. She had a UK passport which technically wasn't valid for crossing from Spain to France. We didn't want issues. So her owner took her to the vets got a Spanish passport and new rabies booster. It was valid immediately because her previous rabies had not expired. Loads of people are doing the Irish passport thing and travelling straight back and on.

Personally I would not want to be arguing the toss at French pp control. I would want a rabies booster in the new PP
So if i correctly get what you are saying is if it was you , you would go the route of an irish PP + a rabies booster , which would enable me to travel say the next day to france / spain without the need for an AHC ? using the Irish PP is that correct

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
If the passports were issued in Northern Ireland there is no need to get a new passport.
Under the N.I. Protocol agreement pet passports issued in Northern Ireland are still valid for travel.
(Obviously they still need to be up to date and filled in correctly)
Your vet will need to update the passport by putting a new sticker on the front and adding a written statement inside (of which I cant remember the exact details).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

Ive just been of the phone with the vets in Carndonagh
We are booked in to get the irish PP on Thursday , ill update here to let others know how it went , the lady on the phone was really really nice and helpful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If the passports were issued in Northern Ireland there is no need to get a new passport.
Under the N.I. Protocol agreement pet passports issued in Northern Ireland are still valid for travel.
(Obviously they still need to be up to date and filled in correctly)
Your vet will need to update the passport by putting a new sticker on the front and adding a written statement inside (of which I cant remember the exact details).
This is true ,, but they would also need an AHC at the cost of £100 each dog x 2 dogs = £200 for each single trip to the EU
even if they wouldn't need an AHC under the N.I agrement , i don't fancy my chances arguing with some french dude at pet border patrol that hey i'm from N.I and im exempt.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
This is true ,, but they would also need an AHC at the cost of £100 each dog x 2 dogs = £200 for each single trip to the EU
even if they wouldn't need an AHC under the N.I agrement , i don't fancy my chances arguing with some french dude at pet border patrol that hey i'm from N.I and im exempt.
If they have a N.I. passport no AHC is required.
I do however understand you concerns but I am sure the authorities are aware of the rules.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Also, you shouldn't be concerned about getting into an argument with some French dude as all UK passports issued before Brexit
can still be used for travel back to GB. The AHC is required to get your pet into Europe.
Our dog has had his N.I. passport officially modified and we will be using it for travel in Sept.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Also, you shouldn't be concerned about getting into an argument with some French dude as all UK passports issued before Brexit
can still be used for travel back to GB. The AHC is required to get your pet into Europe.
Our dog has had his N.I. passport officially modified and we will be using it for travel in Sept.
Thanks Ontheroadagain I found this info to back up what you said about the N.I PP being still accepted " from the Daera website"

Pet Travel from 1 January 2021​

The EU Pet Travel regulation (Regulation (EU) 576/2013) details the documentary, health and compliance check requirements for the travel of pet dogs (including assistance dogs), cats and ferrets between and into EU Member States (MS) including Northern Ireland (NI) to avoid the quarantining of animals.

Under the NI Protocol, from 1 January 2021, the EU Pet Travel Regulation continues to apply to travel between NI, EU Member States and Third Countries. In other words, NI remains part of the EU Pet Travel Scheme.

So i then proceeded to telephone Daera for clarification as we are travelling from N.I to the GB then from GB via the tunnel to France they "think" we would need an AHC as were are technically travelling from the GB and they advised me to phone DEFRA for advice ,,lol
my head is spinning.
Have you or anyone else here that lives in N.Ireland travelled to the EU via the GB with pets on a N.I PP , so say tunnel or ferry from the uk to france /spain since brexit and if so did you's need an AHC or anything else ? apart from your N.I PP

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
ahh just re read your post ,, where u said
The AHC is required to get your pet into Europe
So anyone using an N.I PP will need to get an AHC then.?
If so then irish PP it is as they would not need an AHC ,, ( correct ?? )

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
It is all a bit of a mess.
We plan to travel to France in Sept and return Tunnel - Holyhead - Dublin - N.I.
We always spend a few days in England on our way home as our son lives there.
I have now discovered that in addition to our dog needing the worming treatment in France as normal, if we take
more than five days to get back into Dublin, he will need it again to enter Ireland.
i.e. two worming treatments within a week!!

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
No - if your dog has a valid N.I. passport, no AHC is required.
That is my understanding of it.
My local vet just confirmed this as well ,, BUT he said i might be better/safer getting an AHC due to the "sour grapes" that the french have over Brexit.
I still think i'm gonna go get the irish PP and be done with it.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Pleased to read you are going the sensible route in getting a new Irish EU pet passport. Not sure if you decided to get a Rabies booster done and entered in there. I would regardless of any rights etc knowing that you have an EU Pet passport, the Rabies booster was done by an EU vet, is in date and the previous had not expired..... You KNOW all is correct. Makes the visit to PP control much less daunting. Janie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It is all a bit of a mess.
We plan to travel to France in Sept and return Tunnel - Holyhead - Dublin - N.I.
We always spend a few days in England on our way home as our son lives there.
I have now discovered that in addition to our dog needing the worming treatment in France as normal, if we take
more than five days to get back into Dublin, he will need it again to enter Ireland.
i.e. two worming treatments within a week!!
The worming is needed to enter the UK, so travelling to NI (UK to UK) or the Republic (EU) it's not needed. As long as you have an EU Pet Passport. So if you have not, just get an EU one. No point in hanging on to a NI pet passport, with dubious associated rights, when an Irish passport could solve your potential issues. Janie

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017

Tapeworm treatment for dogs​

A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in either an animal health certificate or a valid pet passport if you’re travelling directly to:
  • Finland
  • Ireland
  • Malta
  • Northern Ireland
  • Norway
The treatment must have been given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you arrive.
The worming is needed to enter the UK, so travelling to NI (UK to UK) or the Republic (EU) it's not needed. As long as you have an EU Pet Passport. So if you have not, just get an EU one. No point in hanging on to a NI pet passport, with dubious associated rights, when an Irish passport could solve your potential issues. Janie
The above is from www.gov.uk.
It states treatment is required for entry into Ireland.
Currently it is not required for N.I. but that may change.
Sorry but I would disagree - no point getting a new pet passport when we already have a valid N.I pet passport.
The only difference will be the sticker on the front page!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
They are very small dogs, however even I can tell the difference. Babies are not housetrained ,pointlessly noisy and do not do what you tell them. I know which I prefer.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
For anyone wondering what the “modified” N.I. pet passport looks like. This is it.

Attachments

• 01E82B47-8C77-4F94-BECB-60FA0EAFE584.jpeg
    01E82B47-8C77-4F94-BECB-60FA0EAFE584.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 574CC22F-5BF8-4338-90CA-CBFCDD7742C5.jpeg
    574CC22F-5BF8-4338-90CA-CBFCDD7742C5.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 8

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.