Avtex/Oyster problems with Gold Radio (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Has anyone any idea why I am unable to receive Gold Radio via my Avtex 187DRS and Oyster Sat-Tech dish? The only suggestion from Avtex was to scan the transponder 11553 H 22000, but when I do that nothing is found. I have had Gold in the past. None of the other channels in the group are available either, such as Planet Rock All/Most TV channels seem ok except Channel 5.

Malcolm

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I should have also said that some websites list Gold as on Astra 2G. Is that totally separate from 2E? Avtex lists Astra 2

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Are you sure you're scanning both TV and radio feeds? I confirm Gold is on Astra 2G, 11553H, 22000, 5/6.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I'm sure your on the right lines, but I can't see anything on the Avtex that differentiates between the two. A normal scan of all FTA picks up a lot of radio stations as well as TV, but not the ones I want. I'm wondering if the Avtex is only scanning 2E and not 2G

Malcolm

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
On my Cello TV I can scan for TV only, or radio only, or both. If your Avtex only does a blanket scan then I would assume it would pickup both TV and radio from any of the transponders on Astra 2.

Maybe your Avtex needs the software updating to recognise 2G. I'm grabbing at straws now :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They went off normal channels around Xmas, you can still get gold on 945 mw around derby Nottingham and across to Manchester but it's mostly on digital now, you can still get it on your phone or internet, just Google gold radio.
Alexa will get it as well.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
They went off normal channels around Xmas, you can still get gold on 945 mw around derby Nottingham and across to Manchester but it's mostly on digital now, you can still get it on your phone or internet, just Google gold radio.
Alexa will get it as well.

You might be right but Gold is still listed on the Lynsat website, last updated 7/7/19.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You might be right but Gold is still listed on the Lynsat website, last updated 7/7/19.
Just an aside if you are tuned into gold mw , it goes off down the M1 but when you get over to France and turn the radio to the saved channel, it plays smooth radio.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
On my Cello TV I can scan for TV only, or radio only, or both. If your Avtex only does a blanket scan then I would assume it would pickup both TV and radio from any of the transponders on Astra 2.

Maybe your Avtex needs the software updating to recognise 2G. I'm grabbing at straws now :D
There is a later software version for my TV, but it needs to be done at the factory apparently. I'll speak to Avtex again, it was advertised as future proof.

Mlcolm

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here's your TV channels
Screenshot_20190710-191356.png
Screenshot_20190710-191356.png

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Just checked for Gold (radio) on my Oyster 2 via mini sky box. Got it + the rock programme you mentioned.

Later, I'll use the TV to scan for radio stations via the TV's internal decoder.....to see if that also works.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
So what happens when you perform a scan for the lone frequency of 11553H, 22000, 5/6?
As it should pick up the 17 tv channels, and the 13 radio channel on that frequency?

Or alternately, can you pick up ANY of the TV or radio stations on that frequency - SCALA radion, NOW 90s TV,

as seen by : https://www.lyngsat.com/muxes/Astra-2G_Europe-Ku_11553-H.html

Are you sure you are on DVBS and not DVBS2? (settings for the frequencies?)

Can you get channel on the next frequency - https://www.lyngsat.com/muxes/Astra-2G_Europe-Ku_11582-H.html ? If you can get this frequency, then there is no reason for you not to get the 11553 frequency?. But if you cannot get this then there is something else wrong with the system

And then you say "Most TV channels seem ok except Channel 5. " - MOST?? No C5??
This may indicate an issue with the LNB or switching unit, as the channels you want, and C5, are on horizontal polarisation...? So if by "most" you have the vertical channels, and not horizontal channels (eg C4, or some BBC regions, or some itv regions), then that is your problem.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Later, I'll use the TV to scan for radio stations via the TV's internal decoder.....to see if that also works.

Just done the TV scan but didn't hold out much hope as all it showed was Astra 2 A, B & D in the heading.

Sure enough, only got mostly BBC radio programes but no Gold or Rock. I bought my TV in about 2013....so no surprise.

If you can't update the software on your Avtex then a FTA box may be the cheapest option.....but first take on board the wise words of Satandpcguy .

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
So what happens when you perform a scan for the lone frequency of 11553H, 22000, 5/6?
As it should pick up the 17 tv channels, and the 13 radio channel on that frequency?

Or alternately, can you pick up ANY of the TV or radio stations on that frequency - SCALA radion, NOW 90s TV,

as seen by : https://www.lyngsat.com/muxes/Astra-2G_Europe-Ku_11553-H.html

Are you sure you are on DVBS and not DVBS2? (settings for the frequencies?)

Can you get channel on the next frequency - https://www.lyngsat.com/muxes/Astra-2G_Europe-Ku_11582-H.html ? If you can get this frequency, then there is no reason for you not to get the 11553 frequency?. But if you cannot get this then there is something else wrong with the system

And then you say "Most TV channels seem ok except Channel 5. " - MOST?? No C5??
This may indicate an issue with the LNB or switching unit, as the channels you want, and C5, are on horizontal polarisation...? So if by "most" you have the vertical channels, and not horizontal channels (eg C4, or some BBC regions, or some itv regions), then that is your problem.

I can only see the info 115533 H 22000 on the various Avtex menus. I can't see any ref to 5/6 or DVBS or DVBS2, where might these be? Ch5 HD is available, but not 'normal' CH5. I can't remember exactly what TV channels I'm missing, I'll go and have a look in the morning. This is a link to the Avtex manual, Tuning info starts on page 11

https://www.avtex.co.uk/support/english/11-l187-217-247drs/file

Malcolm

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I can't see any ref to 5/6 or DVBS or DVBS2, where might these be?
If you can, in the frequency edit screen, they are the different types of satellite "codings"

Ch5 HD is available, but not 'normal' CH5.
Well since C5HD and "normal" C5 (and all the other C5 channels), are all on the same frequency, if you can see one but not the others...scan the frequency again, and see if it picks up the others...there should be no reason for it to pick up just the one and not the other... unless your receiver / lnb / system is totally messed up somewhere...

Are you sure you are in the "all channels" list, and not some kind of "favourites" list? (only suggesting, as have had that before..."hi, i can only get 20 channels...why?", goes around, and he has the favourites list and not "all" list!)

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
The Avtex TV searches from a "set" frequency list so it's very likely that some of the frequencies are either not correct or missing altogether.
I can confirm that the latest Oyster-Avtex list is correct and has Gold which I can email to you but I cannot offer a file to update a regular Avtex I'm afraid.
You can go in manually and check the listed frequencies against Lyngsat and alter any that are wrong.
To do this simply go to "TV Setup", go to the picture of the satellite and select "Advanced Setup"
The code is 0000 and in there you will see at the bottom "manager" in green. Press the green button and it will give you the list of satellites and should be highlighted on Astra 2. If so scroll right to the list of frequencies and check these against Lyngsat. Any that are wrong you can edit, add or delete using the coloured buttons.
Once you're done you would have to rescan so I would advise deleting the current list in full before doing so as Avtex tv's don't replace channels they just add new ones to the back of the list.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Thank you very much indeed Anthony for your suggestions. The problem is that when I try to scan/search transponder 11553 H 22000, either from the advanced settings list, or after trying to add it to the list, nothing is found. No radio, no TV. I'm afraid my opinion of Avtex support has fallen somewhat. and you were next on my list. Is there anything on the dish, LNB, auto-skew etc that could cause a problem with a particular transponder? Bearing in mind that I've got most if not all TV stations I should have.

Malcolm

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
There's nothing that should affect it on the satellite side otherwise you would definitely have problems with other low band (any frequency below 11700) channels such as BBC or ITV.
I wouldn't try to add directly from the frequency on Avtex cause I've found it can be temperamental too. I would check the whole frequency list against Lyngsat. Delete any that are no longer listed and make sure all the active ones have the correct symbol rate (22,000/23,000/27,500/29,500) cause that can mess with reception.
Once done delete all of the current channel list and then do a full scan for all FTA channels. You should find that hopefully that brings everything in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back