Are vans or motorhomes easier to break into? (1 Viewer)

Nov 12, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 520
Exp
We're ready to buy for our 6 month Europe trip but still not 100% undecided between a PVC and a MH. Just wondered if one type was generally understood to be more secure?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Both are vulnerable to a determined thief.
But there are much more important things to consider in choosing a van / motorhome, living space between the two is the first consideration.
Could you manage in a PVC ?
All you can do is take sensible security precautions, be aware, have a plan for most situations, then just enjoy your time and deal with whatever happens, which will probably be nothing untoward.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If someone wants to get in, they will. Simple

I would not make any decision based on that security risk.

A life hammer will smash a side window in seconds. Crowbars can open almost anything, Plastic windows will just pop out.

Funny thing is. I have just watched in the background. A Fly on the wall Police documentary.

Some builder in Derbyshire left his keys in his flatbed truck. Some scrote nicked it with his mobile inside. Anyway, His family find the truck by locating the iPhone "find my iPhone" function. Police turn up and as the owner had no spare key, the policeman suggested he use his life hammer to tap and break the side window in order to get his phone and have the vehicle recovered.

I just cringed as the owner smashed the side glass.

I could see the rear window was a simple rubber seal fitment. He Could of simply peeled the seal back and removed the glass.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I remember when I had a Ford Sierra it came with a third plastic emergency key that would open any Ford.
I remember when I was younger, hertz at Manchester airport were the only car hire company that would hire to under 25ā€™s providing you had a full license for a year.

Felling a bit flush, I hired a Sierra, loved the angled dash.

First thing I did was bend the radio Ariel at 75 mph on the M56/M63 on the way out.

We had those people called traffic cops back then. I was stopped THREE times over the weekend. Not for doing anything wrong , but just baby faced behind the wheel .

Third time I got stopped, cop said ā€œis this your car sunshine?ā€. No was my reply ā€œ AHA, thought notā€ said the Bobby, ā€œstep outā€. I said before I do, I shoved the hertz rental agreement in his hand, just like the previous stops.

I stuck to Ford Fiestas after that. Saved some money and a lot of agro from the Feds.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Any vehicle is easy to break into if they are determined enough.
When you get your vehicle just get some extra security, extra door locks, a good alarm and a tracker and look after it!

OP
OP
L
Nov 12, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 520
Exp
Thanks all - I suspected that would be the case. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If someone wants to get in, they will. Simple

I would not make any decision based on that security risk.

A life hammer will smash a side window in seconds. Crowbars can open almost anything, Plastic windows will just pop out.

Funny thing is. I have just watched in the background. A Fly on the wall Police documentary.

Some builder in Derbyshire left his keys in his flatbed truck. Some scrote nicked it with his mobile inside. Anyway, His family find the truck by locating the iPhone "find my iPhone" function. Police turn up and as the owner had no spare key, the policeman suggested he use his life hammer to tap and break the side window in order to get his phone and have the vehicle recovered.

I just cringed as the owner smashed the side glass.

I could see the rear window was a simple rubber seal fitment. He Could of simply peeled the seal back and removed the glass.
I saw that and thought exactly the same.You can remove those rear windows so easily.Makes you wonder if your better not locking up at all.BUSBY.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Buy a tatty old van park it near the big pretty ones :roflmto: the crims may think it not worth it ,

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks all - I suspected that would be the case. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
Avoid leaving anything valuable in the van. Hide passports and money somewhere obscure. Assume that they are going to get in. Fit the best anti vehicle theft device you can think of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Iā€™d say motohomes are easier to break into. Vans donā€™t usually have as many doors and if they do like PVCs theyā€™re definitely better made than habitation doors on coachbuilts or A class motohomes.
So yeah motorhomes are easier than vans to break into.

OP
OP
L
Nov 12, 2021
France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 520
Exp
Avoid leaving anything valuable in the van. Hide passports and money somewhere obscure. Assume that they are going to get in. Fit the best anti vehicle theft device you can think of.
What's the best one you can think of Stealaway? (apt name!)

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I would have a little chat with eddievanbitz,,heā€™s a Funsters here and obviously knows his stuff,,he s your man,šŸ‘

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Iā€™d say motohomes are easier to break into. Vans donā€™t usually have as many doors and if they do like PVCs theyā€™re definitely better made than habitation doors on coachbuilts or A class motohomes.
So yeah motorhomes are easier than vans to break into.
Side sliding doors are a weak point. Look at 'peel and seek' on YouTube.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What's the best one you can think of Stealaway? (apt name!)
A secret engine isolator under the bonnet? If only a switch on the starter motor feed.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Cheapest method, remove a wheel or 2 ... Simples and Free...NOT when Touring :ROFLMAO:

Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
I had my utility van stolen with all my tools in. But the B-stard who nicked it only got a short way before realizing it had a flat tyre. So panicked he drove into a side road left the doors wide open and did a runner. That's how and where I found it later the next morning. Now, if I leave my MH anywhere dodgy I have a 15 foot length of medium chain. I padlock one end around the back axle and balance the rest on top of the axle. I leave a block of wood in front of the speedo with chain written in large letters on it, to remind me. The plan is when they drive off with 10ft of chain flapping about behind the a...hole who stole it will panic and do one (run off). The only problem is someone nicked me chain.... Na just joking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back