Are angles morta still “ a la mode “ ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Not heard much in this subject recently but planning to spend a couple of weeks in the land of wine and cheese .

Are the gendarmes hot on this ? Anyone been nicked without them yet ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Seen more MHs large without them than with them.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Not so much ‘a la mode’ more ‘a la glovebox’ for us - although at 4250kg we are still the same outwardly as the 3500kg version.

As per previous posters, seen plenty of obviously >3500kg mohos on FR, DE and NL plates not displaying them.

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
If you have them in the glove box, why not just put them on ?

Because they look ruddy awful??

I guess you could/would encounter an issue if you killed or injured a cyclist or pedestrian whilst manoeuvring without them, and the Gendarmes argued the lack of them contributed to the accident leaving you in a difficult position.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I guess you could/would encounter an issue if you killed or injured a cyclist or pedestrian whilst manoeuvring without them, and the Gendarmes argued the lack of them contributed to the accident leaving you in a difficult position.

I consider that Third Party insurers would still have to pay out.

That does not mean the driver could not be prosecuted, but proving lack of Angles Mort as a causal factor might be difficult for the prosecution in the case of even an 8-9mMH, unlike an HGV if the accident occurred on the inside of the trailer.

Upvote 1
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I put them on our van for the first time in January for trip to Spain through France.
3.9t sprinter.
Looked bloody awful also had more questions about why we had them on our van than anything.

In the end I removed them while in Spain. Never again unless stopped and informed they must be on

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Will these go the same way as the breath testers? Give it a year or two. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Will these go the same way as the breath testers? Give it a year or two. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Not across the board as per the breathalysers I think. For larger HGV/PSV I’m sure they satisfy a requirement to be seen to be doing ‘something’ by the bureaucrats, but with the arbitrary cut off at >3.5t - which includes many mohos which really don’t require them and are then largely ignored - it will hopefully be modified in the future.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2023
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
Caravanned for many years, just purchased a MH

I guess you could/would encounter an issue if you killed or injured a cyclist or pedestrian whilst manoeuvring without them, and the Gendarmes argued the lack of them contributed to the accident leaving you in a

but then why bother putting them in the glove box ?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Crafter
Exp
Since 2016
Hi....presumably "in van but not fitted"...?
Does this mean the magnetic ones?
If so has anyone lost one whilst bombing down to the south of France?

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi....presumably "in van but not fitted"...?
Does this mean the magnetic ones?
If so has anyone lost one whilst bombing down to the south of France?
Doubt magnetic would be much good on most ally or plastic van panels.
A friend had magnetic ski holders for the roof of his car, despite the suggested top speed he found them good for 120mph :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Crafter
Exp
Since 2016
I'm in a crafter xlwb and over 3.5t.....
Metal door and wings so they seem quite attached but just wondering at 70mph and lashing down ??

Upvote 0
Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
Was talking to a guy in Spain over Easter who queried where mine were. He warned that a friend of his was stopped earlier this year on route to Spain and fined €300 for not displaying them. As much as I hate them, I took them out of the cupboard and stuck them on for 3 days until we hit the Portsmouth ferry! Just not worth the risk. As soon as we got home, that set of stickers went in the bin!

Upvote 0

Lizbiebrowne

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2020
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2019.
I leave most of the backing paper on, just removing a small strip around the edges to expose the adhesive. It doesn’t make them reusable, but a lot easier to remove. Buying them is just another small cost of travelling through France, insignificant when compared to the costs of diesel and tolls.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
One aftereffect of not putting them on is when you are flashed by a speed camera. If you have one on the back it is obvious you're greater than 3.5 ton and breaking the speed limit. Whereas without, you would probably be dismissed as a large(ish) campingcar and not a truck.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Having read the above thread and with the first hand knowledge of the response given by members of the public when any infractions are pointed out, I have to ask the questionn

What is it about the British psyche that, when faced with a restriction or imposition that they deem to have a contrary view, will go to lengths to avoid what has been imposed upon them.

PS. For anyone worried about removing the stickers, (not just these but any sticker you don't want to be there permanently) , apply a VERY small amount of petroleum jelly (if vaseline is not available?) on the bodywork, No! not your body, the vehicles, prior to application. It reduces the adhesiveness of the stickiness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
One aftereffect of not putting them on is when you are flashed by a speed camera. If you have one on the back it is obvious you're greater than 3.5 ton and breaking the speed limit. Whereas without, you would probably be dismissed as a large(ish) campingcar and not a truck.

Surely an under 3.5t vehicle can put them on voluntarily without breaking the law.

Admittedly it might make the Police check DVLA records, if they can be a*sed.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having read the above thread and with the first hand knowledge of the response given by members of the public when any infractions are pointed out, I have to ask the questionn

What is it about the British psyche that, when faced with a restriction or imposition that they deem to have a contrary view, will go to lengths to avoid what has been imposed upon them.

PS. For anyone worried about removing the stickers, (not just these but any sticker you don't want to be there permanently) , apply a VERY small amount of petroleum jelly (if vaseline is not available?) on the bodywork, No! not your body, the vehicles, prior to application. It reduces the adhesiveness of the stickiness.
I often wonder if the same people who want to avoid the law are the same people who whinge about foreigners over here breaking our laws?

When I go to another country I do my best to respect ALL their laws, customs and mores. Seem like polite and moral thing to do?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Because they don't look ugly in the glove box.

If you are unfortunate enough to run over a lycra clad goon then just make sure he can't give evidence by whatever means necessary and apply the offending stickers before the old bill turn up.

Then once they've cleared up the inconvenience pop them back on the backing paper and re file in the glove box and bobs your aunts cousin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back