Anyone using the SYGIC truck and Camper Navigation App (1 Viewer)

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
Does anyone have any experience of using this SYGIC app, it looks good on paper, works with Apple Car Play and allows dimensions of vehicle etc. Also has speed camera alerts and traffic alerts as extras. Its not cheap but it has lifetime updates,

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have it on the iPAD as well as CoPilot Truck. On the iPad it has some nice features like showing you how far to rest areas and fuel.

I paid for the apple CarPlay upgrade one time liv=cence - absolutely NAFF don't waste your money - Apple or Google maps much better on CarPlay - it is also poor on the phone compared to other options

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got Sygic Truck and the Android Auto add-on. But Google Maps is so much easier to use and more accurate in terms of mapping, traffic info, routing quality and ease of searching for stuff, Sygic is just there as a backup. Yes, Sygic is aware of the width of our 2.3m wide A-class. But it matters so rarely (and is sometimes wrong anyway) it's not worth the downsides.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Use Sygic as my default satnav. Don’t bother with Apple CarPlay, as have it on iPad in dash mount. Very happy with it, but don’t pay full price, they have loads of sales during the year.

Jun 23, 2017
UK
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed Motorhome
Exp
Since 1985
Have used it for a number of years now. I like the fact that it routes takes into account your vehicle dims. As with most satnavs checking the route beforehand is advised. The road traffic updates are OK but I suspect there is better ones but that is not a problem for me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
The car version supports Apple CarPlay but the truck/RV version does NOT. That caught me out and they would not give me a refund when I pointed out they did not make it clear on their website!

If you want a good alternative that does work with Apple CarPlay try one of these:

MagicEarth works with very well with Apple CarPlay and uses OpenStreet maps which I find have lots of extra detail an as an alternative to Google or Apple Maps is handy. It has traffic info from TomTom while driving. It’s Free.

InRoute this has free and a paid RV routing version. It works on Apple CarPlay. I have found it getting more and more use because it is very good when planning a trip with lots of stops on the way. It’s easy to set up start and end points then add/remove intermediate stops on the way. It takes a bit of getting used to but I have found it very useful when working out how to split up a long journey.

TomTom Works great in AppleCar play map updates and traffic info seem to be best I have found. I find it sometimes re-routes me to avoid a few minutes of roadworks and I find myself taking longer driving around. Not the cheapest - but I have decided it’s my main sat nav when actually driving mainly because of the super good live traffic info with one of the other two as a back up. It’s not easy to use when planning out a route it’s at its best when getting you to the next point.

All the RV/truck routing apps only are as good as the road data they have in the maps - I think this is the weak point at the moment. There are many times when I have been sent down a narrow road even though I have told the app I am in a wide vehicle. It must be road width data that is just missing.

Anyway I have decided none are perfect but these three work in AppleCar play nicely!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
All the RV/truck routing apps only are as good as the road data they have in the maps - I think this is the weak point at the moment. There are many times when I have been sent down a narrow road even though I have told the app I am in a wide vehicle. It must be road width data that is just missing.
This is true. It's partly because the major mapping companies aren't really interested in capturing the data. They wouldn't make nearly enough money to make it worthwhile. It's also because it's a hard problem to solve. A quiet single track with great forward visibility to well marked passing spots is narrow. But it's easy to use. A road not quite wide enough for a centre line, that's winding, busy, no passing points and has high hedges immediately next to the road and frequent trucks coming the other way could be a nightmare. But if it's only a 100m long and saves you 15 minutes, you'd probably risk it, right?

Coming up with a metric to decide what penalty to add to narrow roads is a problem that I don't believe any satnav company has solved. Especially those like Sygic that only buy the mapping off of someone else.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I tried it, but always go back to Waze and a Garmin motorbike satnav.
Both will sometimes try & take me down roads i know aren't suitable.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I tried it, but always go back to Waze and a Garmin motorbike satnav.
Both will sometimes try & take me down roads i know aren't suitable.
I always go back to Google Maps. If/when it tells you to turn into a side road that looks like you're going up someone's garden path, it usually has a grey marker telling you how much longer it is to go the other way at that junction. If it says "+2 mins" to continue on the main road, it's an obvious choice. I find this incredibly useful when you've got up make snap decisions. I don't think any of the other SatNavs so this?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I spend plenty of time telling the satnav NO and the beauty is it does correct itself 😀

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I bought it to replace my Snooper ,the voice was so poor I asked for my money back they give me all but £12 pound you could have a different voice if you paid even more money ,glad to get rid of it.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We just use Waze these days along with the mk2 eyeball for width and height restrictions (ie, if there is one, continue driving until it reroutes). TBH it happens so rarely it's not even worth preplanning we've found as long as you not going to somewhere back of beyond... we have made sure Waze follows the site directions in nearer the end of the trip if it's not defaulted to it. A site we visited a weekend ago had a "avoid this road", so when Waze tried to take it, we continued, and it rerouted to preferred route within 30 seconds.

SHould add there are also so many "free" voices on Waze you can even have Batman at some times of year giving you directions.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We just use Waze these days along with the mk2 eyeball for width and height restrictions (ie, if there is one, continue driving until it reroutes). TBH it happens so rarely it's not even worth preplanning we've found as long as you not going to somewhere back of beyond... we have made sure Waze follows the site directions in nearer the end of the trip if it's not defaulted to it. A site we visited a weekend ago had a "avoid this road", so when Waze tried to take it, we continued, and it rerouted to preferred route within 30 seconds.

SHould add there are also so many "free" voices on Waze you can even have Batman at some times of year giving you directions.
I totally agree. A good car orientated satnav is better than any size aware SatNav I've tried. Only once has it failed. Approaching a Spanish town with narrow streets and city walls from the middle of nowhere, I wasted 20 minutes getting directed towards the same 3 "avoid this road" entry roads. I had to stop and check the map to figure out I needed to back track a few km and turn up a side road that would take me around the outside and towards the main road in.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Should add the other thing with Waze as a "very well designed" app (Free btw) - > is that it ingrates with apple siri (and I presume google voice) very well;
We have before now said Hey siri ask waze to navigate to address X using buttons on the steering wheel and it's worked more often than not, and a lot safer than anyone having to touch the steering wheel. Useful if you looking for a pets at home or halfords for something you forgot we have found, asking it to navigate to say pets at home in town X). When we tried locally it placed both on screen and then asked verball which one would we prefer?

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
I think a dedicated satnav with all the maps permanently downloaded in it is much more important than anything else. I know you can download some maps on google and waze but I found it very fiddly and I it keeps in losing them, after all they only give you maps for fee so they can track where you are going!

It might just be me but maps - that are easy to update - but all downloaded and stored on a phone/tablet app or dedicated unit is the way to go!

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I think a dedicated satnav with all the maps permanently downloaded in it is much more important than anything else. I know you can download some maps on google and waze but I found it very fiddly and I it keeps in losing them, after all they only give you maps for fee so they can track where you are going!

It might just be me but maps - that are easy to update - but all downloaded and stored on a phone/tablet app or dedicated unit is the way to go!

I disagree for one reason ; you miss any road closures (which are all too frequent in my parts) ; You also miss the mobile speed camera warnings (yes, illegal in France I know); but also the live traffic ahead of you .. which is all too useful if you can see you are about to drive into a 5 minute queue (or if it's larger) ahead of time, or a broken down lorry etc.. The tracking allows this functionality, and everyone using Google Maps or Waze adds to the data points used. By the maps not working if your data is not you don't end up in the position I frequently found myself in with TomTom (non app) where the app was working but it was failing to pick up traffic data.

Having driven around busy London for many years (around Heathrow area) without Waze there were several occasions I would have simply got stuck for hours without Waze -> and it also was the best guide going home to suffolk if it was best to take North or Southbound routes (given it's near equidistant) before during or after rush hour. My first purchase was a normal satnav for this journey, First week got stuck for 2 hours in traffic on way home - I then asked around office and literally everyone who had used Waze had not got stuck. Stuck with TomTOm week 2, same happened. Week 3 for 3 more years used Waze and rarely got stuck. Bear in mind I drove (for work) around the M25 at/near rush hours every week...

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
My TomTom, MagicEarth and InRoute all give live traffic, road closures, speed cameras (in France they have renamed them as alert zones to get round the law!), bad weather alerts etc.

I have no idea if it’s better than Google/Waze but it seems good to me and I do like having all the maps downloaded so if the mobile coverage is poor I still have a map.

It’s good to have lots of choice!

Happy driving

Apr 30, 2010
Reading
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Returned 2010
We have Sygic which is a backup for Snooper. Our Snooper fell apart after having a new screen fitted whilst on route to Scotland last year. So I downloaded & paid for the truck version. We continued our trip around Scotland using it & didn’t have any issues. The Snooper-has now been repaired so the Sygic is a back up but seems to direct similarly to the Snooper. We are 14.5 tons & 4m high so a good truck map & satnav makes things much easier. Back in the Highland for the last couple of weeks & both satnav still give similar routes.
Arthur.

Reactions: f6c
Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019
The Caravan version of Sygic does CarPlay and dimensions, so that seems to be the one to get (if you want Sygic). It's also cheaper than the Truck one. I've trialled it (using CarPlay) and wasn't overly impressed. I find the licensing a mess too. Some bits are lifetime, but only 3 years updates. Other bits (Speed Cameras & Traffic) annual licences. I want something that'll work on my 10" Carpuride screen.

I've always used TomToms (currently have the 6" Camper), but I'm getting sick of the rate they unnaturally expire my devices (an extremely short 'Lifetime'). I also want Europe and Australia, but that needs two different versions.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
I can find only 2 versions on their website “Sygic Truck and Caravan GPS” and “Sygic GPS”.

Where did you find a Caravan version that supports Apple CarPlay? The Sygic Truck and Caravan” version does not support Apple CarPlay.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I can find only 2 versions on their website “Sygic Truck and Caravan GPS” and “Sygic GPS”.

Where did you find a Caravan version that supports Apple CarPlay? The Sygic Truck and Caravan” version does not support Apple CarPlay.
The Android app is called "Sygic Truck & Caravan". You then buy a license for either trucks or for caravans/motorhomes within the app. It's then an additional license to get Android Auto. Not sure about Car Play.

The Sygic GPS is the plain car version. There's no option for vehicle size and weight.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Yes that’s correct but there is no Apple CarPlay on "Sygic Truck & Caravan"

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I think there is now CarPlay on caravan.

IMG_0550.png

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Oh that’s new. £35!!! Madness. But thanks for finding it!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Oh that’s new. £35!!! Madness. But thanks for finding it!
Never pay full price for anything from Sygic. They have a sale almost every week where they offer discounts 👍🏻👍🏻

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Magic Earth app is free. You can put dimensions/weight of vehicle in to get it to avoid Low bridges etc. It has Apple CarPlay.

Why pay for the same thing from Sygic? I don’t get it!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I bought the car okay add on. Works but useless as doesn’t give you the amount of info I get on my iPad which I also use. Don’t waste money on it
I don’t use it. I’m not a fan of CarPlay, and just have iPad dash mounted. All apps are worse on CarPlay.

Dec 22, 2018
Tasmania, Australia (northern summer in Europe)
Funster No
MH
Hymer Classic B584
Exp
Since 2019

Select Caravan on the right next to Truck just under the heading Buy Premium licence. Country selector down the bottom is on Europe. Caravan with CarPlay option is €72 with code NAVIGATE20

That code ends today, but then speed cameras and traffic are extra (and only yearly).

Their licensing is really confusing. I’d want Europe and Australia, but don’t know if one licence does that. I think when I tried it I wasn’t keen on it, but can’t remember why now.

Tried magic earth which is fair, but the routing is very much for trucks (ugly round the back of towns) compared to TomTom camper which will go through town (with Hymer dimensions). Magic earth is not to bad for free.

Tried Inroute. Looks almost 2D and no voice alternatives.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Does anyone have any experience of using this SYGIC app, it looks good on paper, works with Apple Car Play and allows dimensions of vehicle etc. Also has speed camera alerts and traffic alerts as extras. Its not cheap but it has lifetime updates,
It came as part of the Pioneer package on our 23 Ducato, we use it on Android Auto.....
It works well, the MH sites search is as good as a lot of the Apps...
It needs a good phone though to store the maps and the phone gets Hot, had to remove the case and background running apps but now its fine.
It takes the size and weight dimensions but am not sure if that does anything, the speed limits seem to default to the over 3500kg ones but thats not a bit issue.
Have 10k km with it now.
I would prefer a stand alone system rather than a phone based one, but thats Personal...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back