Any vintage pocket watch repairers (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As per title I am interested in rebuilding a vintage pocket watch that has come down Jens family line, it is a Fusee chain drive from around 1875, well actually it's a pile of bit on our dining table at the moment.

IMG_0370.jpeg

I have a couple of questions if there is anybody in the know.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I admire you for giving it a go, good light and a good magnifying glass even if you do have perfect eyesight….

Oh, and do it in an uncluttered space because bet your bottom dollar that one piece will ping off somewhere never to be seen again ..😳

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
What about mr fagin and mr dodger don’t they know a bit about pocket watches. Haha

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Funny you should post this as I have just had a quote for my father's old silver fusee pocket watch, £2500 that's with a damaged dial and missing hands.
It's actual value is probably only a few hundred pounds or less so not worth doing.
W.E. Clark & Son Ltd.
224 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2AF - 01323 406394

His other bigger one is in for service with another company in Birmingham who couldn't do fusee watches, the service is £350 which is about it's value.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I admire you for giving it a go, good light and a good magnifying glass even if you do have perfect eyesight….

Oh, and do it in an uncluttered space because bet your bottom dollar that one piece will ping off somewhere never to be seen again ..😳
Sounds like the voice of experience, I bought 4 broken movements off ebay for £13.80 to practice on;) one of them is basically working and one has been sacrificed for the family piece.

I only work in daylight and wear 2 pairs of glasses as it seems to work for Steve on the repair shop:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Funny you should post this as I have just had a quote for my father's old silver fusee pocket watch, £2500 that's with a damaged dial and missing hands.
It's actual value is probably only a few hundred pounds or less so not worth doing.
W.E. Clark & Son Ltd.
224 High Street, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7 2AF - 01323 406394

His other bigger one is in for service with another company in Birmingham who couldn't do fusee watches, the service is £350 which is about it's value.
We were told this one was worth £150 ish and could be a couple of hundred to service/fix and then it might be worth £200 working so not really a viable repair but it would be nice to see it going just to say I can/did.

This one had a broken fusee chain but I got one out of one of the "donar movements" the other issue seems to be that it has had a new mainspring but it a bit bigger than it should be and the cover doesn't click back on the drum, my worry is that if I put it back together and wind it it might snap the chain again if it is too strong, OK I could just half wind it to try.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For anybody remotely interested in engineering this is worth a read,

The photograph makes it all look quite easy but in reality the pieces are quite small,

IMG_0360.jpeg

The dressmaking pin gives you an idea of scale.

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
I think the watch was of good quality, looking at the etching on the balance wheel housing, it’s also a jewelled movement, another sign of quality, but the lever for Fast/Slow adjustment is missing
From the photograph the hair spring looks either broken or adrift from its mounting, but might just be a case of refitting it.
The fusee was an ingenious device, but a menace to wind up especially when the main spring is in place.
I have only worked on clock mechanisms so good luck with something as intricate as a watch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think the watch was of good quality, looking at the etching on the balance wheel housing, it’s also a jewelled movement, another sign of quality, but the lever for Fast/Slow adjustment is missing
From the photograph the hair spring looks either broken or adrift from its mounting, but might just be a case of refitting it.
The fusee was an ingenious device, but a menace to wind up especially when the main spring is in place.
I have only worked on clock mechanisms so good luck with something as intricate as a watch.
That is actually the balance from one of the batch for £13.80 and yes the lever is missing but worse than that the chain has snapped and the pin in the fusee cone that anchors the chain is missing as it has pulled out of the brass so that is a non starter for my skills.

This is the ones I am trying to get going,

IMG_0371.jpeg

Again the balance is jewelled but that's it, I am reluctant to take the balance wheel out as the hair spring is rather fine and I am afraid I may not be able to get it back in as its end is fixed to the top plate with a tiny taper pin, the bit next to the red pin head is the spring for the ratchet on the fusee cone but I robbed it out of one of the other movements and then found it was too long and was too long and touching at the wrong side of the pivot on the ratchet so I had to anneal it and then file it down a bit and rebend it before hardening again.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I watched a couple of those videos before getting stuck in, if nothing else it worth knowing how to unload the mainspring although in fairness this one had unloaded itself when the chain snapped:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back