Any RadioHams (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Took up the hobby around 10 years ago...took my Foundation...got the call sign M6 FAX..
Then took my Intermediate..got the call sign 2E0KCE...
Still working on the Full licence..
Any other Funsters have any Ham Call Signs..

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
DBK

I think the "Ham" includes what he gets up to. Its way above my head though, almost as high as his balloons ! He ll be along shortly

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Took up the hobby around 10 years ago...took my Foundation...got the call sign M6 FAX..
Then took my Intermediate..got the call sign 2E0KCE...
Still working on the Full licence..
Any other Funsters have any Ham Call Signs..
There are a few of us but we're not very organised as a MH group. :) I'm a very recent ham having started in lockdown and because I had nothing better to do worked my way up to a Full licence and am now M0WIV.

My original reason for taking it up was SOTA, Summits On The Air, and I've activated a few summits here in Britain and also now (using the MH) in France and Spain. I've also done a few POTA sites (Parks On The Air) and it was a lot easier doing these in Spain than SOTA summits!

I don't do a huge amount from home, it's mostly portable stuff. I have dabbled, unsuccessfully, with FM satellites - but I think I'm getting there and may yet manage a QSO! .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Was very active as a class B in the 1980s, failed the morse. Started a business but now retired. Amazed to find callsign is now automatically a class A.
Still got icom2e somewhere.
Mike
G8jxs

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Been licensed as a ‘B’ class since about 1996 and an ‘A’ class (M0AXK) since about 1998.
Lost interest when the internet took off and haven’t been active for best part of 20 years. Sold all my kit years ago, apart from 100 metres or so of RG213 loitering in the garage somewhere. Oh, and a 25 foot telescopic mast gathering moss behind the garage.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
There are a few of us but we're not very organised as a MH group. :) I'm a very recent ham having started in lockdown and because I had nothing better to do worked my way up to a Full licence and am now M0WIV.

My original reason for taking it up was SOTA, Summits On The Air, and I've activated a few summits here in Britain and also now (using the MH) in France and Spain. I've also done a few POTA sites (Parks On The Air) and it was a lot easier doing these in Spain than SOTA summits!

I don't do a huge amount from home, it's mostly portable stuff. I have dabbled, unsuccessfully, with FM satellites - but I think I'm getting there and may yet manage a QSO! .
I reckon you should change your name to TLA FLA or OFLA

Three letter Acronym
Four letter Acronym
Or Five letter Acronym (y)

• Funny
Reactions: DBK
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
pyro was this your bag?
Indeed, de G6FDE, similar time frame, too lazy for morse, but I don't need it, and I use ASCII now that B is upgraded.

I like the vintage military kit, collect "wieless Set 19, mk1" s (got 5) Nearly killed my old dad when I got fed up with one and tossed it out of the window - it just missed him. I have a decent HF/2M Yauesu somewhere, but no dipole or LW to tune it to. Why, when everyone uses Whatsapp and the RSGB is full of morons anyway? Even the publication qualities have declined. Got a marine and aviation licence as well.

Even my favourite cat is called Katie after the KT88 valve. I couldn't call her an 807

SC/MP (4013), micro professor (z80 version of the AIM65). MZ80, a few lumps of PDP11 and a Mamod steam engine in the loft. That's the trouble with retirement, not enough time to play with all your toys. I'm a hoarder,

73s all, the XYL is nagging.

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Well done, I must admit I miss the old days of self-build, but a stroke put paid to most of my activities. That and the waste of technology called digital mode, may as well use a pc in the first place

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
There was a guy travelling on his own we parked near at Shrewsbury recently and he had lots of aerials and radio equipment. Can't recall his name !!! Jaws will know.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
could anyone Kindly advise an info / guidence site for the interested as google offers diddly/or really strange stuff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Well, are any of us odd lot going to Malvern next week.
Might just dig out the '2e and leave it on s20! Shame the malvern repeater is long gone Don't think I dare run ssb from here surrounded by houses
And I
can't get the hang of all these different callsigns.
Just remembered that I did win the Hereford constructors prize for my 2m xtal controlled transceiver.(aka brick!
Long long ago.
Mike g8jxs

• Love It
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Got mine in 1984 or 1985 when I was 13. G1WMI but not active these days. I need to get it sorted out.

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Was active in the early 1990. G0RWC. until the Russian started using powerful amplifiers.Not active anymore.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Met an Welshman? down in Portugal who used the van body as an aerial to receive LW or was 160m?
He said it worked well because the tyres acted as insulators.
Seemed to work though
Mike
G8jxs

Feb 11, 2017
HALSTEAD ESSEX
Funster No
MH
ih VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2001
I thought retirement would be a good time to use licence , but been to busy with this motorhome malarkey
G0CQI

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I

It may have been gozomike
Last time I was at Shrewsbury was June last year.

Currently at Lyndon Top, Rutland Water and listening on GB3EM when near the van. On the 20th I should be at the Rugby Club Radio Rally with a 6m mast on the back of the van then on the 21st off to Pershore.

I am mostly active on VHF & UHF but do use HF, mostly 40m, from home.

If any one wants to set up a meet Quackers place might be one to look at, it is a good VHF location. When I was there I was working through the Bristol TV repeater, GB3ZZ, that was before it moved location.

Mike

G8DLX & 9H5MC

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I thought retirement would be a good time to use licence , but been to busy with this motorhome malarkey
G0CQI
Retirement is the busiest time in my life, and with Arduino, Pi and the PC with a 1G fibre, there's not a great deal of call in this household for radio comms now (sadly)

Things have moved on a lot over the years, internet connected digital radios to like equipped amateurs halway round the word seem about as satisfying as (to quote Hancock) as asking about the weather in Tokyo or asking if you're 5 & 9 in Sheffield.

I had to do morse for the nautical licence, it was again tested on IFR (aviation licence), the ARE seemed superfluous when they dropped the morse requirement. I've since only used it for TLA ID on aviation beacons, and that's almost dead now.

It's a crying shame, I loved the experimentation, design, building and to a lesser extent, using radio comms. But the proliferation of repeaters, the spoilers (anti repeater mob), CB tw@ts, the political shenanigans and shaming of the once mighty RSGB and the sophistication (and cost) of some of the Japanese kit (and the excessive profit of some ham outlets) killed it for me.

Convice me otherwise, but the days of muti-elemented Yagis stuck on rotators are fast disappearing, in their place a whole generation is emerging to use Raspberry Pis and Arduinos to actually do more useful things than check on the Tokyo weather at 3 am. Like wake me up, desalinate the pool or run the security system. I still fire up the odd vintage19 set or the TR59 when the XYL turns on Gogglebox or a cooking prog, though.

Thanks to the Chinese, you can buy a half decent 2m x band handie for £30 and a decent DSO for £300. Although I must say, VHF and UHF are dead in Portugal already

One day, perhaps, but I've lost a lot of the enthusiasm I once had.

De G6FDE

ps; the webcam show's it's raining in Tokyo at the moment!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back