Any pond keepers on here? I have a problem. (1 Viewer)

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I have a garden pond with various fish in it. There is a surface skimmer, biologigal filter and my fish tend to live long lives, heron permitting.

There are carp, orfe, Sarasa comets, golden rudd, shubunkins and, until yesterday, Barbel.

Over the last 48 hours all four of my barbel have died. They have been in there for about four years from 3-4 inches to 9 or 10 inches at time of death. No warning, all seemed fit and very active before, one by one, they just died.

I have had the water tested and it is tip top. Nitrates, ph, ammonia.

All other fish appear fit and well 🤞

Any ideas anyone?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Of all the fish you have Barbel will be the most sensitive to low oxygen as they come from fast moving rivers that are highly oxygenated. It could be that you’ve had an algae bloom that has depleted the oxygen levels and this is the first sign. I would certainly be adding a large air pump and air stone and creating as much water movement as possible, that and checking on your algae situation.

Do you test your redox levels at all ?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree oxygenation levels particularly in relatively still shallow water in hot weather is a big problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Lack of oxygen imo, be worth getting an oxygen pump and a couple of aerating balls, something like this or if necessary a mains powered unit if larger pond.
410BDD56-0627-4626-9048-B4908BF67769.jpeg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Of all the fish you have Barbel will be the most sensitive to low oxygen as they come from fast moving rivers that are highly oxygenated. It could be that you’ve had an algae bloom that has depleted the oxygen levels and this is the first sign. I would certainly be adding a large air pump and air stone and creating as much water movement as possible, that and checking on your algae situation.

Spot on… I’d go with low oxygen too…😎

OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987

I am not sure what you mean by redox levels?

I used to test regularl;y for Nitrate, ph, ammonia and Dissolved oxygen. TBH I gave up doing it as I always got perfect readings and when the reagents ran out I didn't replace them. I have a surface skimmer which has always kept Dissolved Oxygen at the upper level and my Bio filter is oversized for the number of fish.

My local pond shop tested the water for me today with good values for the first three. I will get an oxygen test kit tomorrow and check that.

The water is very clear, you can see the gravel at the bottom which is at about 3Ft. I have 2 very large Golden Orfe which are also, I thought, sensitive to low oxygen, as are the Rudd. The Orfe and the Rudd are not at all stressed. I can see that Barbel are obviously more sensitive.

Water temp is 22C

I have maximised the flow through the skimmer and I am doing a partial water change. I'll report back when I get the values for dissolved oxygen.

Many thanks for the replies so far.

David.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I am not sure what you mean by redox levels?

I used to test regularl;y for Nitrate, ph, ammonia and Dissolved oxygen. TBH I gave up doing it as I always got perfect readings and when the reagents ran out I didn't replace them. I have a surface skimmer which has always kept Dissolved Oxygen at the upper level and my Bio filter is oversized for the number of fish.

My local pond shop tested the water for me today with good values for the first three. I will get an oxygen test kit tomorrow and check that.

The water is very clear, you can see the gravel at the bottom which is at about 3Ft. I have 2 very large Golden Orfe which are also, I thought, sensitive to low oxygen, as are the Rudd. The Orfe and the Rudd are not at all stressed. I can see that Barbel are obviously more sensitive.

Water temp is 22C

I have maximised the flow through the skimmer and I am doing a partial water change. I'll report back when I get the values for dissolved oxygen.
If you do a VP partial water change then you will change the dissolved oxygen levels as you know.
But the fact that we had high temperatures for several days will quickly deplete oxygen levels which can recover when the temperature falls.
I kept koi carp for many years and but fish like barbel and trout are affected badly by high temperatures in still water.
I hope you are able to get it sorted

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Redox is a way of measuring water purity electronically usually via a probe, the value isn’t so important but any change is As it can indicate that something has changed in your system.

A water change is a good idea as is any way you can increase water movement, non of this will do any harm even if it’s something else.

What about any algae blooms recently ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Most of your fish can skim oxygen off the surface for the barbel it is more difficult because of their underslung mouths…😎

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I used to love my pond it was full of fish, but the Heron kept stealing them. I decided to drain the pond and save the fish in a friend's paddling pool as he was going to take them to his pond, but they were gone, all of them :( I once spotted a local farmer sitting on the lane near to my house in his pick up with his shotgun and I asked him what are you doing ?? he said I am going to shoot the Heron that keeps stealing the fish from my pond o_O edited to say about 10 years ago, Heron is probably dead, farmer deffo dead. So please, no complaints :X3:

Gina

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
From my experience of koi keeping.

Still, warm, low pressure stormy nights are your enemy. It sucks the o2 from the water.
Combine that with 'oxygen enriching weeds' (that only work in daylight I believe) and it's a recipe for disaster.
Lager koi will go first as they have most demand on o2.
Disruption of the water surface is your friend. Air stones are good also a spray fountain or waterfall are excellent alternatives.
As an aside in similar situations I would only feed them a minimal amount whilst stressed

All the best

Antique

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We lost a good few several years ago to jumping out of the pond, but prior we lost some decent sized ones too. Totally perplexed due to one having lived in incy wincy pond, with no volume or air and being a reasonable age. Went to a aquatic centre and was asked do u have air, nope. Seems was the problem, we’ve now had air stone s in the pond, haven’t lost any of the biggies at all. We don’t use the air during winter, but have pump on 24/7. Oh and have netted the pond properly so no more kamikaze fish.

OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Thank you all very much for your kind feedback. I will be posting further on this as and when the oxygen test kit turns up. I have some suspicions but I don't want to jump the gun.
One thing is certain, I don't think I'll be putting any more barbel in: All the other fish have been fine, why push the envelope?
Thanks again,
David.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back