Any one on Virgin broadband. (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Been with Virgin broadband for 20 years, no problems, last month download down to 20 mb, i pay for 100, it started to stop fire stick and Sky working for a few minutes. Had 4 lots of engineers out still no better after they redid all the connections and a new cable from the road.
I rang them yesterday to cancel and they have reduced my charge to £29 for 18 months and doubled my package to 200 mb download, so i now get 25mb download!!!. So my question is does anybody who has Virgin got any where near their promised download speed.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Yeah I pay for 100 and get it.

1650629331209.png

Tbh, I've been with them since it was NTL. Reliable, no hassle if the equipment packs up. Have TV through SKY but would never plan to change BB unless they started to take the piss out of me on price.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
A close friend has been playing cat and mouse with them since it was Eurobell
Extra packages, price drops etc.
Then when the chucked the prices up this year she quit

Left it a month after getting various emails from them went back after having a word with disconnection team
Back on a good package fiber at a price she's happy with.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Been with Virgin broadband for 20 years, no problems, last month download down to 20 mb, i pay for 100, it started to stop fire stick and Sky working for a few minutes. Had 4 lots of engineers out still no better after they redid all the connections and a new cable from the road.
I rang them yesterday to cancel and they have reduced my charge to £29 for 18 months and doubled my package to 200 mb download, so i now get 25mb download!!!. So my question is does anybody who has Virgin got any where near their promised download speed.
No but now paying 20 per month …

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Yes but finally had engineer out yesterday.
He said my signal IN was too high (13 units when ideal is between -10 and 10). Fitted attenuator? and speed has stabilized at 85+Mbps and we pay for 100.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I get about 85mb, pay for 100 but I'm philsophical about it - that's fast enough for what I do. Won't change as it'll mean moving back to the Openreach copper and I know that was cut in about 4 places when the fibre went in ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I'm getting 194 mbps at the moment, pay for 200 mbps, not complaining, not had any issues for years.
Local schools go back Monday, so speed will get up over 200.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I am supposed to be getting 200 I am getting about 70, had an engineer out and have been told a new cable is needed, but no sign of it happening yet. Also they have overcharged me and I can get no help from customer service or the compliant team. Even the disconnection department, who have been good in the past, cannot help. I have a newish contact, but I'm thinking of leaving and letting them try to get any money from me. I've been with them since just after we moved in here years ago, but lately the customer service is 💩

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
How are you testing? If you're testing via wifi then it could be your router that's the problem, or it could be interference from a neighbour's wifi (if they're on an overlapping channel).
To test your line speed more accurately you need to test via a device directly connected to your router via ethernet. Once you know whether its a line or wifi issue there are things you can do to investigate further.

OP
OP
C
Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
How are you testing? If you're testing via wifi then it could be your router that's the problem, or it could be interference from a neighbour's wifi (if they're on an overlapping channel).
To test your line speed more accurately you need to test via a device directly connected to your router via ethernet. Once you know whether its a line or wifi issue there are things you can do to investigate further.
Virgin tested themselves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Do people really need 100+Mb/s? I get up to 25 Mb/s on the mobile network at home (and 5-25Mb/s around most of the UK and Europe). This easily copes with a laptop, desktop, 2 phones and an ipad, often streaming 2 movies at once.
For the princely sum of £17.50/month for unlimited data (UK & EU*) it's a no-brainer to not bother with a landline any more.
(* Fair Use Policy is 2 Months limit in a rolling 4 months)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Out of interest how many of you are on true fibre to the house or just fibre to your boundary.

Ours is fibre to the Virgin Box and coax to the house.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Out of interest how many of you are on true fibre to the house or just fibre to your boundary.

Ours is fibre to the Virgin Box and coax to the house.
I wish! We’re still on FTTC and then copper to the house………..:(

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I moved off of Virgin last year as only being with them for a year and having nothing but problems with disconnects and slow speeds i paid extra for a 12 month contract just in case instead of a 24 month one. There customer service are useless and thats being nice, this was also with virgin business where speeds are guaranteed which of course is also a pile of rubbish. Previous to this i was with Zeninternet for over 8 years with no issues but there was no fibre then, now we have FTTP (true fibre end to end) so moved back to zeninternet and not had an issue since.
What i pay for is now what I get, dont bother with speedtest.net for higher speeds as i can never get above 600mb from them and also isp's prioritise your testing when using them so you think you are getting more than you are, the google speed test is accurate which is what openreached used when testing. I certainly dont need the high speed but working in I.T for the last 25 years and only having 40mb download speeds its a breath of fresh air with my current speeds needed or not.
1650700235638.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back