Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Had this on my laptop
What do I do to remove it
It's saying don't shut down ,call Microsoft support,possible identity theft ,finance etc
it's Trojan spyware ads.fiancetrack(2).dll
Gromett can you advise
IMG_20220125_141945.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am not window person so don't know for sure.

But this seems to me like a phishing attempt.

I suspect that those messages are not from windows defender but are generated by a website or another program.

They are trying to trick you into calling that number and they will try to charge you to fix it. I don't think windows defender ever displays a phone number?

I could be wrong on the above.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I am not window person so don't know for sure.

But this seems to me like a phishing attempt.
Correct
I suspect that those messages are not from windows defender but are generated by a website or another program.
Correct
They are trying to trick you into calling that number and they will try to charge you to fix it. I don't think windows defender ever displays a phone number?
Correct
I could be wrong on the above.
Incorrect!

Stop trying to kid us you know hee haw about Windows!:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I looked up the number and it's a London one ,not a Microsoft number , Microsoft also advise they don't advise anyone to call a phone number so it probably is a phishing attempt
I did close down but it's popped back up again when I reopened.
Do I just shut down and leave it?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I looked up the number and it's a London one ,not a Microsoft number , Microsoft also advise they don't advise anyone to call a phone number so it probably is a phishing attempt
The problem is when you shut down, the browser tab that has the scam in it is still open.

Which browser are you using? I will give you the details on how to start with a clean slate.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You could try booting Windows into Safe Mode and running a full scan with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We had a similar issue on my sons laptop. He runs windows 10 and near enough the exact same message came on to the screen . He shut it off at the power button then switched it back on holding f4 whilst it fires up. It puts it into safe start mode and once it was up and running the message was gone. He ran a full scan and all was ok.

Kev

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Microsoft will never proactively reach out to you to provide unsolicited PC or technical support. If you receive a phone call claiming to be from Microsoft, or see a pop-up window on your PC with a fake warning message and a phone number to call and get your “issue” fixed, it’s better to be safe and not click any links or provide any personal information.

Never call the number provided in the error message. Real Microsoft error messages never include a phone number to call.

If you feel like you’ve been the target of a technical support scam, you can help Microsoft stop cybercriminals by reporting it.

Click on the link 'Reporting it'...follow the information

Kev

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Stop trying to kid us you know hee haw about Windows!

I honestly don't. These days I can't even fix my Mum's windows computer.
I have not touched windows in well over 10 years. It has changed a lot since then.

I do know a little bit about internet security and scams though.

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Control alt delete is your friend, and close the running program, never call or respond to anything like this. Close it down and do your own scan.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Control alt delete is your friend, and close the running program, never call or respond to anything like this. Close it down and do your own scan.
if ctrl+alt+del is your friend, ctrl+shift+esc is your wife :p :LOL:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Had this on my laptop
What do I do to remove it
It's saying don't shut down ,call Microsoft support,possible identity theft ,finance etc
it's Trojan spyware ads.fiancetrack(2).dll
Gromett can you advise
View attachment 579138
What malware/AV tool do you use?
If {you haven't added 3rd party AV tools} an option is to actually run a full scan with Windows 10's Defender.

To be sure you're at the real Defender: alt key for menu, choose settings, then choose windows security , then Virus & Threat protection and run a full scan

edit: sorry, trying to multitask I left out a chunk!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What malware/AV tool do you use?
If {you haven't added 3rd party AV tools} an option is to actually run a full scan with Windows 10's Defender.

To be sure you're at the real Defender: alt key for menu, choose settings, then choose windows security , then Virus & Threat protection and run a full scan

edit: sorry, trying to multitask I left out a chunk!
I honestly don't think this is a virus. It is a browser based phishing thing. Close the browser down and the message should go away.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I honestly don't think this is a virus. It is a browser based phishing thing. Close the browser down and the message should go away.
maybe they've accidentally installed a browser app. HO

edit: can't find info quick enough. But people often end up adding extensions they don't need or are hiding malware. Maybe that's an old issue.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
been solved now.
posted after the solution was found.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back