Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
BP garage Roundswell, Barnstaple no longer have LPG and Flo-gas at nearby Fremington have removed pumps too... really worried the squeeze on LPG outlets causing big problems.
Only one nearby is Milton Damerel.

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
BP garage Roundswell, Barnstaple no longer have LPG and Flo-gas at nearby Fremington have removed pumps too... really worried the squeeze on LPG outlets causing big problems.
Only one nearby is Milton Damerel.
Yes. Other than Milton Damerel, the nearest is Minehead or Exeter area.
Electric at the site I was on was 77p a unit so I've moved to an electric included.
It's so short sighted of the suppliers in what is a very busy tourist area. There are always plenty of MHs around.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you own a campsite, marina or even a local garage somewhere in north Cornwall, ideally on the A30 somewhere like Bodmin or Launceston, there is a licence to print money by selling autogas.

Tens of thousands of motorhomes go past every year.
You can change almost what you like as zero competition within 60 miles.

Perhaps someone should tell Morrisons in Bodmin?
They have more than enough space to fit a tank and even a seperate pump on the forecourt, and most importantly they also already have a LPG distribution network.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This only seems to be a problem, and a patchy one, in UK. Here in Poland about 2/3 of filling stations sell LPG.

We have also not had any problems in France, Germany, Greece etc. except Pyrenees.

Why are the same international companies removing LPG pumps in UK and not elsewhere?

Anyone know?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Campsites do tend to cash-in on the reduction of LPG stations. 99p is the going rate near me with a minimum purchase of 10litres.

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
If you own a campsite, marina or even a local garage somewhere in north Cornwall, ideally on the A30 somewhere like Bodmin or Launceston, there is a licence to print money by selling autogas.

They have more than enough space to fit a tank and even a seperate pump on the forecourt, and most importantly they also already have a LPG distribution network.
No need as there is already a site near Redruth that has geared up for motorhome LPG. . Plenty of room to get even a large van in and very friendly owners too.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Ah!

But that would mean them SPENDING money instead of just collecting it.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
No need as there is already a site near Redruth that has geared up for motorhome LPG. . Plenty of room to get even a large van in and very friendly owners too.
Which is 98 miles from the next station on the A30 at Exeter.

A LPG station at Launceston or Bodmin could not fail to make money as zero competition in either direction

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think you can still get LPG at Carkeel on the A38? That’s about halfway betwixt Redruth & Exeter.
Yep, I filled up there on my last Cornish run, but only because the station I had intended on stopping at at Exeter had run out of LPG.
However it involved a big deviation onto the A38 which would not be my normal route to north Cornwall, and it's still 60 miles in either direction to the next LPG station at Exeter or Redruth

dulvil

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Campsites do tend to cash-in on the reduction of LPG stations. 99p is the going rate near me with a minimum purchase of 10litres.
If they didn’t stock it where would you have to go, I can’t think of anywhere else close to us

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Now this may seem controversial but members ( and I know some vocal MHF members are not) of the amazingly wonderful CAMC could ask the organisation to place gas ⛽️ on their sites as they have large gas tanks on site so members could top up and then for us members there would be no issue.

Discuss 🍿

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Yep, I filled up there on my last Cornish run, but only because the station I had intended on stopping at at Exeter had run out of LPG.
However it involved a big deviation onto the A38 which would not be my normal route to north Cornwall, and it's still 60 miles in either direction to the next LPG station at Exeter or Redruth

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
A38 - v - A30 to N Cornwall…. just a few miles in it. As a local, A38 is generally my preferred route, particularly going west with no tolls to pay.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
A38 - v - A30 to N Cornwall…. just a few miles in it. As a local, A38 is generally my preferred route, particularly going west with no tolls to pay.
I'm an ex pat.
I'm normally making for my sisters in Tintagel or other reli's around Wadebridge
A30, A395 to Davidstow
My second choice is A39
But we have two other sets of relis on the A38, so it's an excuse to drop in

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Now this may seem controversial but members ( and I know some vocal MHF members are not) of the amazingly wonderful CAMC could ask the organisation to place gas ⛽️ on their sites as they have large gas tanks on site so members could top up and then for us members there would be no issue.

Discuss 🍿
On a few strategic key sites, one would think it to be a no-brainer. However knowing how CAMC work, it would be located inside the barriers and only available to those actually staying on site. They don't even allow 'splash & dash' unlike C&CC. They don't do user-friendly.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
On a few strategic key sites, one would think it to be a no-brainer. However knowing how CAMC work, it would be located inside the barriers and only available to those actually staying on site. They don't even allow 'splash & dash' unlike C&CC. They don't do user-friendly.
Absolutely correct think it may be my selfish gene 🧬 but that’s all ok for me why should anyone want to share the facilities on a site they are staying on. 🍿

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Absolutely correct think it may be my selfish gene 🧬 but that’s all ok for me why should anyone want to share the facilities on a site they are staying on. 🍿
They aren’t free though are they, being used by members who pay for the service. We used Glen Coe last year while staying in Kinlochleven for instance.

You could say we made it cheaper for those staying by subsidising your stay. 😄

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I
This only seems to be a problem, and a patchy one, in UK. Here in Poland about 2/3 of filling stations sell LPG.

We have also not had any problems in France, Germany, Greece etc. except Pyrenees.

Why are the same international companies removing LPG pumps in UK and not elsewhere?

Anyone know?
I would imagine it is a result of the UK Government prioritising incentives for diesel over LPG earlier this century.

Jul 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680
There used to be an LPG pump at the BP Victoria Services on the A30 in Cornwall that we’ve used before, but that looks like it has gone now !

We also have just lost the LPG pumps at the Asda services in High Wycombe just off the M40 that was always handy and relatively cheap. Feel sorry for anyone that invested in LPG fuelled cars here in the UK.

Thankfully we have a LPG car converter near us who say it’s getting harder to get hold of LPG, but they are going to keep stocking it as their business is converting vehicles to run on LPG.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back