Another Calais Migrant Story (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
What surprises me more than anything is after years and years of similar incidents being reported online and in the press, people still feel the need to stop anywhere near Calais.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
How did he open the wine?

If he used a milk container, where did he put the milk?

Why not use the bottle he had emptied?

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It didn't bother him braking the window but didn't want to spoil the garage floor...He must have been very thirsty if he managed to drink the wine and milk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We looked for those. But not for long, we ended up at the rear of the place, so I gave up... Siân says I have the patience of a psycopath
It is at the back near the Gendarme station.

iMarkup_20240304_210938.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That's a sneaky way for the Govt to get anyone reading it, worried (Although I can't imagine many folk would knowingly bring an illegal into the country in their Camper)....but the actual legislation only relates to Goods Vehicles

I knew it was not relating to any law, whether or not quoted, just by the phraseology it was not written in legal terms.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Apart from the fact that it only applies to commercial vehicles.
Really! That's prejudice especially so, as before the fine became law, a Truck owner driver friend of mine, reported some stowaways in his truck when he stopped at base in Norfolk.
When the Police arrived, the 4 of them were released and told to report to the Immigration Centre in Croydon! 😡
Of course they did! 🤬

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Siân says I have the patience of a psycopath
Rita knows someone else with a similar level of patience. :whistle2:

We've not been back, since some scrote tried to stowaway underneath the Hymer on the twin rear axles. Thing was, we were headed for Spain, not the UK. :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I've parked at the Wine Supermarket at Calais a couple of times to load up and there have been a few wandering around. Whilst doing our shopping, the alarm is set and, of course when we return, every empty space is being filled with booze so the van is given a thorough check.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As I said on another similar thread feel sorry for the migrants compared to a risky dinghy crossing a motorhome garage is a lot safer and more comfortable. I can't believe anyone would be broken into and not check the garage to see if anything had been nicked

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Firstly I'm amazed anyone leaves a motorhome unattended in Calais these days....there's been enough warnings over the years. And secondly, if you come back to your vehicle and see you've been broken into wouldn't you check absolutely everywhere?

We haven't stopped with the MH at Cite Europe since 2019 (it always used to be our first and last stop for shopping) because in 2020 I told hubby there were too many reports of migrants damaging vehicles trying to get inside. I think he thought I was exaggerating, but he humoured me and we only stopped for fuel (needed diesel and gas). Hubby was walking around keeping an eye out whilst I filled the tanks, but we had a problem with one of the cards which wouldn't work in the machine and whilst we were faffing around finding the other one, a guy managed to slip in via the passenger door (which we'd forgotten to lock - silly mistake). He must have been very quick and light on his feet.....neither of us heard a thing and nor felt the MH move.

Unfortunately for him we were heading south, so halfway to Boulogne we hear a noise in the back and see a guy peering out of the shower! Stopped on the hard shoulder and let him out for a long walk back to Calais. The guy wasn't aggressive at all (quite apologetic in fact) and hadn't done any damage so no harm done in the end. But it confirmed to hubby that I wasn't being paranoid, and although we still stop in Calais for fuel, he double-checks the doors are locked after I get out.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When we first joined MHF I did worry about migrants hanging on underneath for a while so bought one of those mirrors on a stick that you can use to look for bombs. Found it last year still in its packaging when we were clearing out for the new kitchen.

I have found that the only thing I worry about is the children and for that I have a number of gold medals.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We looked for those. But not for long, we ended up at the rear of the place, so I gave up... Siân says I have the patience of a psycopath
I sympathise and empathise. I can be patient when it’s something interesting and entertaining like a wiring problem etc however as I get older I just cannot suffer fools gladly! Poor & inconsiderate drivers who hog the middle & outer lanes on motorways, fail to use indicators and leave headlights on main beam etc are a particular target for suitable invectives!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The last time we departed from Calais we stayed at Le Grand Gravelot. Its a secure Aire and cost €10.0 for 24hrs. We had a late night crossing so this was a secure stop to stay in during the day and allow us to leave the motorhome and visit Calais with confidence the M'home was not going to be targated. Otherwise, we would just drive straight to the ferry port without stopping if departing from Calais.

As an afterthought, will vehicles become more attractive to illegal migrants looking to get into the UK after the first Rewanda flight ???

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
When the Police arrived, the 4 of them were released and told to report to the Immigration Centre in Croydon!
That always used to be the scenario when police stopped immigrants on the side of the road. Not many ever turned up.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That always used to be the scenario when police stopped immigrants on the side of the road. Not many ever turned up.
How many are kept in security accommodation if the police take them away they're probably going to go somewhere they can just walk out of anyway they aren't criminals likely to be a danger to the public. You could argue that getting here is a sort of entrance examination the ones that make it are determined people very unlikely to sit around doing nothing once their status allows them to work.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Helped himself to a bottle of wine? I wonder if he had a corkscrew with him?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You could argue that getting here is a sort of entrance examination the ones that make it are determined people very unlikely to sit around doing nothing once their status allows them to work.
Yup, and most of them will have already travelled a thousand miles and many will have crossed the Med. On a good day they can probably see 'The Promised Land' from Calais.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back