Another Calais Migrant Story (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have not travelled the Channel crossing for some years but I have always been surprised how cursory the checks are - usually the shower and garage, but often miss the wardrobe, under the duvet, the overcab bed and under the sofa storage which is just long enough for a small person in the foetal position.

Maybe they have never found anyone in these areas so are under instructions not to bother, or their knowledge of MHs is insufficient.

Has anyone ever seen them inspecting under the MHs? I have not.

The only time we have properly been inspected, looking under the van with mirrors and every other onook and crannie) was when we were leaving the UK last September. It was days after that guy had escaped from Wandsworth prison(?) Under the delivery van and was on the run. They really went to town athat ime, every vehicle stopped and searched, dozens of police around.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Firstly I'm amazed anyone leaves a motorhome unattended in Calais these days....there's been enough warnings over the years. And secondly, if you come back to your vehicle and see you've been broken into wouldn't you check absolutely everywhere?

We haven't stopped with the MH at Cite Europe since 2019 (it always used to be our first and last stop for shopping) because in 2020 I told hubby there were too many reports of migrants....

We've been a few times 2021-2023 and never felt it was a problem. Just felt like any UK supermarket car park. Plenty of (normal) people around, a few motorhomes. I wouldn't sleep there but a 30 minute shop is fine.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The stupid thing is once they get here thy don't like it, moan about the hotels, the food, their treatment but we're stupid enough not to let the buggers out to go back to France!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
What surprises me more than anything is after years and years of similar incidents being reported online and in the press, people still feel the need to stop anywhere near Calais.

Im one of those folk who don't believe everything I read. As said, been there a few times and seems perfectly normal. Haven't seen a migrant near Calais since 2014 ish. They are coming up the Calais canal from Watten nowadays.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Or they’re nuts.
Must be some draw in the Land of the Free Everything.
I think that's a right wing myth. I'd wager if you took an equal amount of assylum seekers and people leaving school here with poor qualifications and looked at what theirs work ethic was like you would see a really big difference. It's been the same with almost every other generation of forced migrants like the Ugandan Asians. We lived for years in Leicester a lot of the right wing press would have you believe that meant there were problems in education. In reality a lot of Asian parents are very keen for their kids to get a good education and join a profession.

Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
We never stop near Calais, not worth hassle. Use this when anywhere that doesn't feel safe too.

20240218_162240.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I sympathise and empathise. I can be patient when it’s something interesting and entertaining like a wiring problem etc however as I get older I just cannot suffer fools gladly! Poor & inconsiderate drivers who hog the middle & outer lanes on motorways, fail to use indicators and leave headlights on main beam etc are a particular target for suitable invectives!
Are you my twin by any chance? 🤣

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I sympathise and empathise. I can be patient when it’s something interesting and entertaining like a wiring problem etc however as I get older I just cannot suffer fools gladly! Poor & inconsiderate drivers who hog the middle & outer lanes on motorways, fail to use indicators and leave headlights on main beam etc are a particular target for suitable invectives!
Having just picked up on this post I do feel compelled to point out the following. The Outside Lane is the 'BMW' lane and the Middle Lane is only for fully paid up members of the 'Middle Lane Owners Club' I believe the inside lane is for MH Drivers and the hard shoulder for self converted MH Drivers. I hope this helps! (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back