Another BBQ Connection Question.... (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We’ve got a Weber “Go Anywhere” Gas BBQ, and would like to connect it to the external BBQ point on our Motorhome.

To do this we are looking for the connector for the BBQ end of the connector hose - I believe it’s the same connector as per the Weber Q100/1000 series BBQ’s. The “Weber” connectors I’ve so far found online appear to be of a different design.

Here’s a photo of the connector we’re looking for. Please can anyone suggest where we can just buy the connector so that it can be fitted to the end of the 2m hose?

Many thanks!

image.jpg

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
If you cut the hose in the picture and fit a quick connector you can then connect a hose from the BBQ point to the hose you have

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi E-G! Thanks very much for your reply!

The photo on my post above is of the hose connector for connecting the Weber BBQ to a Calor gas bottle. If possible we want to keep that connector as it is, so we still have the option of connecting up the BBQ to the gas bottle if we want to.

I guess I could always buy another BBQ to gas bottle connector and ask the engineer to cut the Weber fitting off and use that, but it was around £40 so I’d prefer to buy just the RSA’s connector if possible for the engineer to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Hi E-G! Thanks very much for your reply!

The photo on my post above is of the hose connector for connecting the Weber BBQ to a Calor gas bottle. If possible we want to keep that connector as it is, so we still have the option of connecting up the BBQ to the gas bottle if we want to.

I guess I could always buy another BBQ to gas bottle connector and ask the engineer to cut the Weber fitting off and use that, but it was around £40 so I’d prefer to buy just the RSA’s connector if possible for the engineer to use.
If you get a quick release gas connector you will then be able to connect your hose to the BBQ outlet or plug the calor regulator in and go back to a cyl.
Screenshot_20200701-211116_eBay.jpg

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
March Hare I've just recently gone through a similar process having bought a Weber Q1200 that also uses small gas canisters. Even if you find the connector in your picture you will have the problem of having two regulators in series (one in the van and the other on the grill).
Unlike the Q1200 though, the Go-Anywhere has the canister regulator directly attached to the control valve (rather than via a hose). I don't know if the regulator is removable. If it is, then one of the Huddersfield Gas converter kits may be suitable. I certainly used them and can recommend the company. It may be worth talking to them.
Huddersfield Gas conversion kits

My Q1200 has now got a male quick connector on the gas valve. I can then connect an 8mm hose to the van or a 8mm hose to a variety of regulators such as gas canister screw fitting, camping gaz, patio gas clip on, etc. Another benefit of the quick connectors is that by keeping the female part on the supply hose it seals the gas supply off until pushed to make a connection to the BBQ.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi E-G and J-A!

Thank you both for your replies and your assistance, it's much appreciated!!

Thanks also for the recommendation to speak to Huddersfield Gas. I've spoken to a gentleman there this morning who was very helpful. However, he believes that the Weber Go Anywhere gas BBQ is not suitable for connection to the Motorhome BBQ Point.

The reason for this is he believes the Go Anywhere BBQ is designed to have a mini gas cannister screwed straight into it - or to be connected via a gas bottle with the Weber connection which he does not believe is a regulator.... So the BBQ is designed for high pressure gas, but the Motorhome BBQ Point will supply low pressure gas. But he did recommend for me to double-check this. I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this please.

Here's a photo of the BBQ and the Weber-supplied adapter that allows it to be connected to a gas bottle:

IMG_20200702_102609205 (1).jpg

I suppose question is whether there is any safe way that this BBQ could be connected to the external BBQ point on our motorhome please?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If the guy that you spoke to is correct about high / low pressure. No brainier sell it and buy a compatible one.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It looks like that your problem is that the bit that goes on the bottle is just a connector to the bottle and the regulator is the bit at the BBQ end of the hose. Quite common on small American BBQs. We brought a small BBQ (not Weber) back from the USA and found the same problem. We did cut the bottle adaptor off and put a bayonet fitting on it, but because of the double regulator the gas flow was never very good and it took ages to cook anything.

Can you unbolt the regulator from the gas flow control switch? If so you may be able to find a gas fitting that can be used to connect the hose directly to the gas flow control switch. From memory I had the same problem with my Weber Q1200 and I bought something from Hudderfield gas to make it work once I got the regulator off. Maybe take the regulator off and photo the connector and send to them?

I know that Weber used to sell what they call a caravan connector to connect but not listed now on their website. There is one on ebay. But don't know if it would work.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the others are right if the hose you already have screws straight onto a bottle there obviously a regulater built into the BBQ so it could screw straight onto your gas cylinder with the right adapter but it would be a right pain disconnecting the bottle from the MH to use the BBQ. If you use the external BBQ point the gas will already be at low pressure so going through another one on the grill will probably give a low flow. I think it's easier to keep on buying the little bottles for the grill at least you can then use it on the beache or away from the MH or get a different grill.

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
It looks like the Weber Go-Anywhere BBQ uses a Cavagna 694Q regulator, but I can't find any information on the connector from it to the BBQ gas valve. If the regulator can be removed, then we could advise on a replacement fitting into the gas valve and suitable hose.

Weber Go-Anywhere Cavagna 694Q regulator

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
On my Weber I use the set up in the photo is yours not the same . Strangely I put this on eBay this morning

Attachments

• 76EC2B9A-2DB6-4D01-9064-E0C96B8AF95F.jpeg
    76EC2B9A-2DB6-4D01-9064-E0C96B8AF95F.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 70
  • E10BB529-3E6F-4C96-9231-7C119758A353.jpeg
    E10BB529-3E6F-4C96-9231-7C119758A353.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi everyone, thanks very much for your replies and advice!

I've checked the regulator that's fitted to the BBQ - as per your post JA, it's a Cavagna 694Q - here's a photo. I've had a look to see if it would be easily removed - see photos further down, but I suspect it's not going to be straight forward. I can't see what the type of connection is that connects the built-in regulator to the BBQ....

Does anyone know if we go with selling this BBQ which is brand new (box already disposed of), and getting a replacement - say a Weber Q1200, would we have the same problems of not being able to connect it to the Motorhome's BBQ Point because of the low pressure?

IMG_20200702_140226924.jpg

IMG_20200702_140254971.jpg

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
On my Weber I use the set up in the photo is yours not the same . Strangely I put this on eBay this morning
I have used my Weber 1200 connected to low pressure gas from my barbecue point on motorhome for 10 years with no issues . Last year I set it up in the garden and run from a butane bottle with regulator and again no issues .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is the set I linked to in post #8
Hi everyone, thanks very much for your replies and advice!

I've checked the regulator that's fitted to the BBQ - as per your post JA, it's a Cavagna 694Q - here's a photo. I've had a look to see if it would be easily removed - see photos further down, but I suspect it's not going to be straight forward. I can't see what the type of connection is that connects the built-in regulator to the BBQ....

Does anyone know if we go with selling this BBQ which is brand new (box already disposed of), and getting a replacement - say a Weber Q1200, would we have the same problems of not being able to connect it to the Motorhome's BBQ Point because of the low pressure?

View attachment 403689

View attachment 403690
You need to separate the regulator from the gas control knob, which feeds in to burner tube. If you look at he second photo you can just see a furled nut, which is probably connecting the two parts. Undo that and I suspect that you may find that the hose that wanderer is selling will fit on it.

You will have a similar problem with the Q1200, but not so bad because there is a short hose between the regulator and the gas controller rather than being connected. Having said that I would still recommend the Q1200 over the one you have. But it is a lot heavier as it has porcelain enamelled cast iron cooking plates.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi E-G and J-A!

Thank you both for your replies and your assistance, it's much appreciated!!

Thanks also for the recommendation to speak to Huddersfield Gas. I've spoken to a gentleman there this morning who was very helpful. However, he believes that the Weber Go Anywhere gas BBQ is not suitable for connection to the Motorhome BBQ Point.

The reason for this is he believes the Go Anywhere BBQ is designed to have a mini gas cannister screwed straight into it - or to be connected via a gas bottle with the Weber connection which he does not believe is a regulator.... So the BBQ is designed for high pressure gas, but the Motorhome BBQ Point will supply low pressure gas. But he did recommend for me to double-check this. I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this please.

Here's a photo of the BBQ and the Weber-supplied adapter that allows it to be connected to a gas bottle:

View attachment 403572

I suppose question is whether there is any safe way that this BBQ could be connected to the external BBQ point on our motorhome please?

Thanks in advance!
Is the connecter at the gas end just a release valve For the bottle and the regulator at the barbecue end releasing low pressure gas the same as the barbecue point of your motorhome

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Hi everyone, thanks so much for your interest and advice!

I've had another look at disconnecting the regulator from the BBQ and it looks like it's going to be quite tricky. I wanted to disconnect it so you could see what the connector was from the BBQ-mounted regulator to the BBQ Control knob.

Instead I've taken another photo from underneath which shows the connection better - I don't know if this gives you a better view - to judge whether it's worth pursuing?

IMG_20200702_174846181_2.jpg

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
March Hare If it is the same as the gas control valve on the Weber Q1200, then the fitting is a 0.25" BSP left hand thread. You would then need one of these from Huddersfield Gas to go on to it https://www.huddersfieldgas.co.uk/product/quick-release-connector-1-4-bsp-fits-most-cadac-weber/
This is turn would connect to the female half of a 8mm quick connector and then 8mm gas hose to whatever regulator you want to use (or onto your van).
If you want to remove the existing regulator or connector it really needs to be done in a bench vice remembering that it will likely be a left hand thread (it is on the Q1200).
Note that Weber use 6.3mm hose on the short connector for the Q1200 so unfortunately this needs replacing if you end up with one as I never found an adaptor for 6.3mm -> 8mm hose.

OP
OP
March Hare
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
March Hare If it is the same as the gas control valve on the Weber Q1200, then the fitting is a 0.25" BSP left hand thread. You would then need one of these from Huddersfield Gas to go on to it https://www.huddersfieldgas.co.uk/product/quick-release-connector-1-4-bsp-fits-most-cadac-weber/
This is turn would connect to the female half of a 8mm quick connector and then 8mm gas hose to whatever regulator you want to use (or onto your van).
If you want to remove the existing regulator or connector it really needs to be done in a bench vice remembering that it will likely be a left hand thread (it is on the Q1200).
Note that Weber use 6.3mm hose on the short connector for the Q1200 so unfortunately this needs replacing if you end up with one as I never found an adaptor for 6.3mm -> 8mm hose.

Hello J-A!

Apologies for late reply but thanks very much for all this extra detail and advice! We’ll take a good look at the BBQ this weekend and report back on our success....or otherwise!

Thanks again! 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back