Alert! European pet passport fiasco!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
People may have remembered we were issued a European pet passport in France recently by a small town vet who bent the rules a bit by providing one of her cheques as that was the condition (cheque with the chip number written on back)
However to our dismay when we got back to the UK yesterday there was a french letter waiting for us saying they destroyed the cheque and the pet passport is not valid . Eek!!
We were very lucky we managed to get home on it! It would have had awful consequences too as our Ukrainian family were following us and we’d all have been delayed even longer in Calais
I think the only way it would work is if you gave a French address and even then…?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I should add it was the authorities who rejected it (where the cheque got sent)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Im not understanding why the passport would not be valid? If it has been filled in correctly with all the chip details and vaccination details then it will work regardless of anything to do with a cheque. At the ferry or tunnel They only check the rabies vac status , the chip id matches the passport and the worming tablet date. If thats all fine you're good to go

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The cheque is to do with registering the chip on the French iCad system I believe, we got our EU pet passport from Belgium and didn’t need to do the iCad thing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The cheque is to do with registering the chip on the French iCad system I believe, we got our EU pet passport from Belgium and didn’t need to do the iCad thing.
In Belgium the equivalent of I-cad is DogID but you don’t need to register on it unless your dog is staying in Belgium for over 6 months.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
However to our dismay when we got back to the UK yesterday there was a french letter waiting for us saying they destroyed the cheque and the pet passport is not valid . Eek!!
Provided your French pet passport has been completed correctly (which it presumably was as you used it to return to the UK) it is valid.

Can you post a photo of this letter please?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Im not understanding why the passport would not be valid? If it has been filled in correctly with all the chip details and vaccination details then it will work regardless of anything to do with a cheque. At the ferry or tunnel They only check the rabies vac status , the chip id matches the passport and the worming tablet date. If thats all fine you're good to go
It’s the place of registry of the microchip numbers.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
It sounds like the cheque was rejected by ICAD, which is a French domestic organisation, nothing to do with the EU. As Tam says, they only check that the scanned chip matches the written entry in the passport. They certainty don't appear to scan or check with any computer system.
maz This sounds like an ideal opportunity to ask them under which EU Pet Passport regulation the passport is no longer valid. I'd suggest Frankie yodeli, but I think she is very very busy with her young guests at the moment. Surely there must be another fluent French speaker on the forum. Another suggestion, which should help put your mind at rest, is to send a copy of the letter to the customer service department of whichever ferry/tunnel company you normally use and ask if there is anything there that would invalidate the passport from their point of view

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It sounds like the cheque was rejected by ICAD, which is a French domestic organisation, nothing to do with the EU. As Tam says, they only check that the scanned chip matches the written entry in the passport. They certainty don't appear to scan or check with any computer system.
maz This sounds like an ideal opportunity to ask them under which EU Pet Passport regulation the passport is no longer valid. I'd suggest Frankie yodeli, but I think she is very very busy with her young guests at the moment. Surely there must be another fluent French speaker on the forum. Another suggestion, which should help put your mind at rest, is to send a copy of the letter to the customer service department of whichever ferry/tunnel company you normally use and ask if there is anything there that would invalidate the passport from their point of view
I think we need to see a copy of this letter first ……

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it has been filled in correctly with all the chip details and vaccination details then it will work regardless of anything to do with a cheque. At the ferry or tunnel They only check the rabies vac status , the chip id matches the passport and the worming tablet date.
What Tam said. Just the chip registration. You can transfer the chip to the UK system
It’s the place of registry of the microchip numbers.
As above transfer details of ownership to you in the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect that using a cheque from a third party is what has caused this to be flagged up. As for the validity of it, perhaps a call to the pet check centre at Folkestone ET to ask them to run it through their system for you would confirm its still valid.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
The French Pet Passport is only valid under the law if obtained legally, as the OP is not a French resident and therefore he is not entitled to one for his pet.

You can be pretty certain Administrative penalty will be levied against the Vet for breaking the rules.

Robert

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
2E698C71-14D1-412F-ACFA-ADA0AEBAB84E.jpeg

• Thanks
Reactions: maz
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you used your UK address on the cheque that's probably why they didnt register the chip in France.
How did they get hold of your uk adress to advise you.
I suppose the same would have applied in the uk if you had registered a French passport chip with the UK chip company ,they would not accept a UK adress.either.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
There is nothing in that letter that says your pet passport is invalid.

The 9.23€ fee is required by I-cad for the importation of an animal into France. For this, a French address is obviously required as how are you going to import an animal otherwise?

This is why I-cad registration is nonsensical for an animal staying in France for less than 3 months. In another thread (linked below) we had a reply from I-cad stating that registration was not necessary for a British holidaymaker to obtain a French pet passport for their dog.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/i-cad-what’s-it-all-about.260645/#post-5000673

Edit: Make sure you expand the box in the I-cad thread so that you can read the exact questions that I-cad are replying to.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I suspect that using a cheque from a third party is what has caused this to be flagged up.
I don’t think so as I’ve read of many cases on Facebook where the French vet has provided one of their own cheques to pay the I-cad fee. However, in these cases I believe that a French address of some description was provided. The problem here is that Jac Sprat is apparently trying to import a dog into France but has only provided a UK address on the importation form.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The French Pet Passport is only valid under the law if obtained legally, as the OP is not a French resident and therefore he is not entitled to one for his pet.

You can be pretty certain Administrative penalty will be levied against the Vet for breaking the rules.

Robert
We are still waiting for anyone to provide a link to this supposed ‘law’. Not even I-cad themselves are aware of such a law. See the following thread:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/i-cad-what’s-it-all-about.260645/#post-5000673

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I can’t believe the lengths people are taking over saving there else’s a few quid, get a life for gods sake and move on
I can't believe that people have so much time to waste that they spend it reading and commenting on threads that are of no interest to them.

Cheers
Red

Last edited:

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I don't have to renew the rabies jab on my pp for three years. In that time, getting an AHC from my vet each time I visit EU would have cost me £2250. If that's a few quid to you, Googlebot, I envy your lifestyle if not your interpersonal skills.
I think you meant to tag ghiaguy

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can’t believe the lengths people are taking over saving there else’s a few quid, get a life for gods sake and move on
A few quid?

EU passport = one time expense , no time limit

British equivalent ahc , over £100 each time and lasts 4 months .

Over the lifetime of a dog that could be a few grand if you travel frequently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back