AHC/PP/Ireland (Eire) again!! (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Not wanting to hijack another thread, I can't get my head round this so help please!
Our dog doesn't have an existing PP. We're visiting family in Ireland in a few months, direct ferry not going via NI. While we're there we'll get an EU passport.
We'll get an AHC to get into Ireland and probably use it to return to GB.
From what I've been reading she'll need a rabies booster for the EU passport. Is there any complication with getting the booster? Is it safe for the dog to have this vaccine twice within a short period?
And then for the future the booster must be done by an EU vet, not a problem!
Sorry if this is covering old ground but I need to get it straight.
Karen

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Go from Scotland or Liverpool to Belfast so no AHC is required, the saving will cover the fuel costs, when in Belfast make a right turn off the ferry exit on to the M2 towards Londonderry turn left following the m22 then the A6 to Derry, over the bridge and right towards Muff after about 6 miles there is a left turn to Carndonagh in Co Donegal follow the road for about 8 miles its just over the border and make an appointment for Anne Scott Tulnaree House Carndonagh Co. Donegal ( use the website) easy to find, Go to The Diamond and if coming into the town turn right go about 800 yards to a sharp left hand bend and there is a junction on your right, on the bend apex, turn right here and go up the hill, you will pass a Presbyterian church on your right and take the next right to a Georgian farm house, Anne is in the rear annex of the house, E45 for the passport E30 for the rabies, if you are exiting via Belfast again there are no checks done or worming tablets to do so straight off and your dog is an Irish PP holder. Others on the site have used her and there is no problem at all she is very good. The rabies booster will be fine ours was done within 6 months of her first (Mrs C works for a vet!) The down side of the Dublin route is that she cannot leave from Dublin/Eire via the ferry for 30 days after the rabies shot.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've just done exactly the same (different vet but no probs). We could have used the current (?) rabies jab but the vet noticed it hadn't been comleted correctly in the UK passport so we got another booster.
No checks anywhere into/out of the Republic via NI. And it's a shorter crossing from Cairnryan.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
The Coops thanks for the detailed info. Hubby not prepared to do the NI route 🤷‍♂️ he's the driver so it's Holyhead to Rosslare. I've explained the advantages but he's not swayed. We'll be using the family's vet in Cork.

The down side of the Dublin route is that she cannot leave from Dublin/Eire via the ferry for 30 days after the rabies shot.

Presumably we don't have to worry about the 30 days if we're using the AHC for the return journey. Our stay is about 23 days.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Why not go from Liverpool? You will be passing the M53 From Co Donegal you could do the West Ireland way through to Cork?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Why not go from Liverpool? You will be passing the M53
I'll mention it again but he seems reluctant, seems to have decided on Holyhead oh hold on, may be Fishguard :cool: whichever is nearest to home. Yep Fishguard, sorry. The username was given to him years ago as an irony because he's very un-reckless :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::love:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back