Advice Needed: Buying Our First Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 4, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer C644 Classic
Hey guys. Total newbie here. We are a hab check away from purchasing our first MH. It’s a 2009 Hobby Siesta on a Ford Transit. We love the MH, but it’s stretching our budget at £26k. We have come up with this list, can I get some opinions please…

◦ Pros
Great Layout
Comfortable
Good Condition
Big garage
Comfy to drive
Local

◦ Cons
Expensive (for us)
No clothes wardrobe
Little surface space
Small oven
Missing trays (freezer and oven)
Open shower (missus prefers the ones that have a screen so water doesn’t go everywhere)

Thanks in advance!!

Apr 14, 2018
Gillingham, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i482
Exp
20 years
Hey guys. Total newbie here. We are a hab check away from purchasing our first MH. It’s a 2009 Hobby Siesta on a Ford Transit. We love the MH, but it’s stretching our budget at £26k. We have come up with this list, can I get some opinions please…

◦ Pros
Great Layout
Comfortable
Good Condition
Big garage
Comfy to drive
Local

◦ Cons
Expensive (for us)
No clothes wardrobe
Little surface space
Small oven
Open shower (missus prefers the ones that have a screen so water doesn’t go everywhere)

Thanks in advance!!
Hi.

Is this the 2.2 Duratorq PUMA engine?

If so, sorry to throw this at you but there have been problems with the pistons on this engine and this is in the age range for potential engine problems.

We have a motorhome with this engine and after I heard there was a recall I took it to our local garage in France who remapped the ECU free of charge.

We tried to sell it a couple of years ago in France and the first question the potential buyers would ask is "Is it the Duratorq PUMA engine"

(It seems to be a more recognised problem in Europe compared to UK)

It didn't sell.

We have bought the vehicle back to UK and plan on just using it now it is remapped.

One thing that may be important is the weight of the vehicle.

It doesn't appear to be so much of a problem in the cars that it's used in, but in the larger motorhomes it's a small engine producing 140BHP so maybe it's stretching it's capabilities ?

Our Exsis is Only 2.6T unladen so maybe that helps ?

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie

◦ Pros
Great Layout
Comfortable
Good Condition
Big garage
Comfy to drive
Local

◦ Cons
Expensive (for us)
No clothes wardrobe
Little surface space
Small oven

Thanks in advance!!

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie

◦ Pros
Great Layout
Comfortable
Good Condition
Big garage
Comfy to drive
Local

◦ Cons
Expensive (for us)
No clothes wardrobe
Little surface space
Small oven

Thanks in advance!I

Payload, payload, payload.
oven - we changed from van with oven and microwave which were rarely used, to van with no oven, just two burner hob. We thought long and hard about it, analysed what we cook and decided it would be fine. We have no regrets. We do have a Remoska which we can use when on hook up. We cook from scratch and rarely eat out. Our kitchen has a work top either side of the combined sink/hob. It was one of our must haves.
Difficult to assess for first van, but some of this is about how you will camp. If you use big sites with electric hook up and shower blocks then shower facilities in the van become less important. If like us, you are happier on limited facility sites, in van facilities become more important.
We purchased a Motorhome which we both had the same issues with . Ended up selling within the year. Unless you are both totally happy with all aspects i would walk away and find one which ticks all your boxes

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
When you find 'the one' we want pics :wink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Stanthevan

Free Member
Jul 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore
Payload, payload, payload.
oven - we changed from van with oven and microwave which were rarely used, to van with no oven, just two burner hob. We thought long and hard about it, analysed what we cook and decided it would be fine. We have no regrets. We do have a Remoska which we can use when on hook up. We cook from scratch and rarely eat out. Our kitchen has a work top either side of the combined sink/hob. It was one of our must haves.
Difficult to assess for first van, but some of this is about how you will camp. If you use big sites with electric hook up and shower blocks then shower facilities in the van become less important. If like us, you are happier on limited facility sites, in van facilities become more important.
Lots of good advise as usual, we all have different ideas of good of course. What I can say with confidence is buying a Motorhome is a lifestyle choice not a financially sound one. Because it will cost to run, and use. You will also need to find sites etc etc. I have a Motorhome, and we enjoy the life, but blimey sometimes the costs do hurt!! If you’re confident with that then pick one that you like and buy it and enjoy it!!

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2011
Funster No

◦ Pros
Great Layout
Comfortable
Good Condition
Big garage
Comfy to drive
Local

◦ Cons
Expensive (for us)
No clothes wardrobe
Little surface space
Small oven

Thanks in advance!!
Just to answer one of your wive's 'cons', that of no clothes wardrobe, and being a woman I understand her concern. Firstly being in a MH means wearing far more casual clothes and the need for hanging space is less important. It is unlikely she will be packing a pretty cocktail dress and kitten heeled shoes!! If you have shelves or cupboards with shelving pack your clothes in 'travel packing cubes', available from Amazon and other places. They keep your clothes really neat and tidy and when you go around a bend at reasonable speed they won't all fall off the hanger into a crumpled mess. You can squash them down without the contents being crumpled, so really useful! Hope that helps a bit? Oh , and a further thought about shelves for oven, fridge and freezer; I am sure you can get replacements. Have a look at this company (local to me) https://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk Good luck and have lots of fun in your MH! All the best, Maddy

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailry Autograph
I'd make two different lists one that's looks at what else you could get for the same amount if money is the limiting factor the other on how your likely to use the motorhome and how the one you're looking at fits or doesn't.
Motorhomes are expensive and too expensive to get it wrong so my advice to everybody considering purchasing a motorhome is to rent three times. Not once but three times to really see if you want a MH and you’ll be better able to decide what you need and what you can live with/without. Yes, hiring is expensive but a lot cheaper than shelling our 24k for a thing that you may never use beyond the exciting first trip.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
When buying a second hand motorhome think damp , damp, damp, have you seen a upto date Damp check ? Have you got Damp meter to check all around vehicle , like in cupboards , floor , ceiling , around those hard t get at wheel arches etc. ? Without a Damp check I would be very wary , Damp repairs can cost Mega Bucks, I've had Damp issues on a 18 month old French Motorhome, good luck,but be careful .

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001

◦ Pros
Great Layout
Comfortable
Good Condition
Big garage
Comfy to drive
Local

◦ Cons
Expensive (for us)
No clothes wardrobe
Little surface space
Small oven

Thanks in advance!!
Hobby renowned for good build quality, buy it enjoy .ronboyracer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cartela
Jan 4, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hymer C644 Classic
The new van 🥰

BB1D9EFA-75D3-4945-894F-7E70DF318157.jpeg

IMG_6072.jpeg

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Looking at a Adria Matrix 670 sl for sale on ebay.
The seller only has 1 feed back listed.
He has 3 motorhomes for sale.
Do i steer clear of no feedback or do we all have to start somewhere?
Thing is ,it` just what i am after :worried:

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Looking at a Adria Matrix 670 sl for sale on ebay.
The seller only has 1 feed back listed.
He has 3 motorhomes for sale.
Do i steer clear of no feedback or do we all have to start somewhere?
Thing is ,it` just what i am after :worried:

This one?
Treat it like any other private car/motorhome purchase. Ring up, arrange a viewing. Meet the seller. sus him out. Don't pay anything until you have the V5 and the vehicle ready to go.

My concern with that vehicle would be the mileage. 7000 miles in 9 years? That's less than 800 miles a year. Habitation might be in nice nic as it will have hardly been used but I'd worry about the condition of the vehicle mechanics having spent most of it's life standing still. Need to look at the age of the tyres - if original they will need replacing. Has the cambelt been done? Most vehicles need this replacing every 5 or 6 years regardless of miles.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
This one?
Treat it like any other private car/motorhome purchase. Ring up, arrange a viewing. Meet the seller. sus him out. Don't pay anything until you have the V5 and the vehicle ready to go.

My concern with that vehicle would be the mileage. 7000 miles in 9 years? That's less than 800 miles a year. Habitation might be in nice nic as it will have hardly been used but I'd worry about the condition of the vehicle mechanics having spent most of it's life standing still. Need to look at the age of the tyres - if original they will need replacing. Has the cambelt been done? Most vehicles need this replacing every 5 or 6 years regardless of miles.
i think thats very cheap, so just be careful BUT its a cracking motorhome at that price ! i would def go and view - we have an Adria 670SLT and are really pleased with it !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This one?

I think I'd first be enquiring about a service history doing an mot check etc. As you say too little use could be for a good reason but it does seem very strange and a very low mileage could be worse rather than better

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Yes. Now if you were French, you would in all likelihood just use it, maybe run 200 kg overweight against plated weight like everyone else, and in the unlikely event of being stopped say "sorry, had no idea". A bit like we all use our cars. (Who on here has ever had their car weighed?) Calculation: consequences vs probability.

If you're like some others you would up-plate, then fail to display angles morts signs in France, or ignore speed limits for heavier vans, or violate access restrictions for heavier vans, or pretend to be a lighter van for toll purposes. In every instance hoping to get away with it, but all punishable by law. "Sorry, I had no idea" not available as an excuse. Calculation: consequences vs probability.

Or you would up-plate and then abide by everything. Consequences just slower progress, some access restrictions, more difficult toll solutions in some places.

Or you could, non-Frenchly, skimp here, save there, optimise there, to try to stay within 3,500, knowing that if you are stopped when you have full diesel, water and gas, you may be just a bit overweight. But think that you probably won't be stopped (almost no-one ever is), and if you are you would probably be close enough to just be warned.

I think those are the only options.
The other thing worth adding to take into account when overloading is insurance in the event of an accident.
Updating may add to cost/availablity of breakdown cover

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
My advice is probably boring...!

Would you buy a 15 year old car which has been built by precision programmed robots? Probably not.

Why would you consider parting with £25k for a 15 year old hand built motorhome? The lifestyle is expensive especially when it comes to spare parts as nothing will have a warranty and at that age spares may be quite rare too. Don't let your heart rule your head.

Me, I'd put the money into a couple of share tracker ISA's for a few years or hand it over to a company such as Evelyn Partners and let it grow.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp

Would you buy a 15 year old car which has been built by precision programmed robots? Probably not.

Why would you consider parting with £25k for a 15 year old hand built motorhome? The lifestyle is expensive especially when it comes to spare parts as nothing will have a warranty and at that age spares may be quite rare too. Don't let your heart rule your head.

Me, I'd put the money into a couple of share tracker ISA's for a few years or hand it over to a company such as Evelyn Partners and let it grow.
And get run over by a bus and never reap the benifits :rofl:

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

Done that then what 😁

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

Why not. My current cars are 21 year old (Hand built) and 14 year old. (Robot built) Both run perfectly.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Yes, but I bet they're used more often that a motorhome.
Not the point - you said ....

"Would you buy a 15 year old car which has been built by precision programmed robots? Probably not."

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes Lenny but you're a full timer, I doubt the OP will be.
Wish I was, normally only do two 6-7 week trips a sometimes squeeze in a 3 weeker as well plus the odd rally and festival.
Only do 1000 miles in the car in a year, one trip in the van is 3000 miles.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Wish I was, normally only do two 6-7 week trips a sometimes squeeze in a 3 weeker as well plus the odd rally and festival.
Only do 1000 miles in the car in a year, one trip in the van is 3000 miles.
Did you get lost finding Quackers :wink:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back