Adblue Refill: Timing and Options (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
A S Warwick Duo
Exp
Since 2020
Details of car issuie would be of great interest please.
Crystals built up in part of the exhaust pipe entry and caused the pipe join to split and resulted in 700 bill to replace the joint. This was on a jag f pace.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Best advice I can give is avoid AdBlue containers altogether and simply fill up at service stations at the AdBlue pump which is usually where the HGV’s go. This way there’s no mess, you can fill to brim (not just the capacity of the container) and there’s never any spilt liquid crystallisation to contend with. One bit on your clothes or carpet and they’re ruined.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
All the Adblu pumps I've used both in the UK and abroad have had the same slim, long nozzle that fits snuggly into the Ducato Adblu tank, whether located on the main "car" part of the forecourt, or over by the HGV high-speed diesel pumps. Doesn't matter which you use. They have all auto-stopped when full too, without any hassle or spillage.

Dec 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Warwick
Exp
Motorhoming since 2021, after 20 years caravanning
We pick up our motorhome this week, based on a Peugeot Boxer, and have been reading up about the issues with Adblue.
At a service station this week I got chatting to someone putting Adblue in a small van. He works for a company running a fleet of them, and he said they always top them up every week, even if they can only get a litre in. He reckons that if you leave it till the stage when the warning light comes on, there’s a good chance that it will malfunction, so they don’t take the risk.
He also mentioned that it takes ages to fill the tank due to airlocks. Is this just a problem with small vans?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Adblu pumps are pretty widely available. However if you can't locate one near you, try this.

Select Adblu in the "Site Facilities" drop down, and it then shows you locations with an Adblu pump on a scalable map.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Best advice I can give is avoid AdBlue containers altogether and simply fill up at service stations at the AdBlue pump which is usually where the HGV’s go. This way there’s no mess, you can fill to brim (not just the capacity of the container) and there’s never any spilt liquid crystallisation to contend with. One bit on your clothes or carpet and they’re ruined.
"you can fill to brim (not just the capacity of the container)"

Fiat statement specifically states: ""IMPORTANT DO NOT EXCEED THE MAXIMUM LEVEL: this could cause damage to the reservoir. AdBlue® (UREA) freezes at under -11 °C. Although the system is designed to operate below the freezing point of the UREA, it is advisable not to fill the tank beyond the maximum level because if the AdBlue® (UREA) freezes the system can be damaged......"

That said over the past year we've filled from a 2 US gallon containers and have overfilled multiple times without issue.
Others say they have experienced issues when overfilling, ours is a 21 Ducato so only a "low level" sensor, maybe if you have
the gauge it is different as that clearly measures at multiple points, somehow.

As for "One bit on your clothes or carpet and they’re ruined." incorrect, only it is 32.5% Urea & water.
It is a mild irritant, rinse off with water, sorted.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
1) Not that I have seen, only issue 2 in Europe but multiple on USA all the small taper type, truck in USA have the same smaller fill point.
2) No, if I google AdBlue pump near me (Watford) most results are people asking the same questions, a google map with stations marked but
no indication if they are just ones with AdBlue pump, BUT it is not ALL stations near me so read that as you wish.
There is a very useful BP website listing stations with AdBlue pump if you find yourself in Australia.

I have 2x9.5l (2 US Gallon) containers I bought back from the USA, with chemical markings, that I plan to refill from pump as required.
Many thanks - that echoes my experience.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back