Adblue Refill: Timing and Options (1 Viewer)

InvictaMoto

Free Member
Apr 26, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 115
I still put a bottle of Redex (bought at Tesco's) into my full fuel tank twice a year! 👍 😄
We always used to put a shot of redex into the Vespas back in the 70's along with the 25:1 shots of two-stroke into the tank with the 2-star.... For a while the smoke was white before reverting back to the usual blue...... 20:1 oiled the plug!

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Anyone peed in their AdBlue tank instead of the official method? 🤣

How does the adblue system know if it’s putting adblue in and not say urine/adblue mix into the exhaust? 😉

Just asking like… 😇

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Anyone peed in their AdBlue tank instead of the official method? 🤣

How does the adblue system know if it’s putting adblue in and not say urine/adblue mix into the exhaust? 😉

Just asking like… 😇
Go back & watch the video of the bloke cutting the tank open & dismantling it completely .He tells you in there .It has sensors that detect "adblu not to correct standard"

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We always used to put a shot of redex into the Vespas back in the 70's along with the 25:1 shots of two-stroke into the tank with the 2-star.... For a while the smoke was white before reverting back to the usual blue...... 20:1 oiled the plug!
I just add a bottle about a month before MOT and a few months later at the first frosts of winter!

Probably doesn't do much, but for a few weeks the engine run smoother, does no harm, and makes me feel better!

Old habits die hard! 😄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
w

Well I'm not sure how much people understand. It appears lots of people don't even realise its spelt AdBlue not Adblu.
Shameful.

All pedantry aside, it seems to be a problem associated with extreme low temperature so maybe not too much of an issue for many?

Last edited:
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Just had the AdBlu light come on at exactly 5000km, the first time it came on was at 2500 km, topped up with 5ltrs both times, so overall, 2ltr per 1000km ( Sorry, only have the KM figure), I will keep and eye on it at the 7500 and 10,000 km marker and see if it is consistent.

MH is a 2023 Pilote 696 on a Ducato 140 with 9 speed auto,Driving is mixed with both Autobahn and Bundestrasse (Motorway and A roads).

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
I try to avoid old AdBlue whenever possible.

You can often seen the crystals starting to form around the cap on containers on petrol station forecourts. Stored out in the daylight for who knows how long.

Incidently, whilst pump Adblue is normally the cheapest, shop around. Petrol stations often sell 10L of AdBlue at twice the price of outlets such as Screwfix/Toolstation etc.

Jul 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado Low Profile
Exp
Since 2016 caravan previously
Just had the AdBlu light come on at exactly 5000km, the first time it came on was at 2500 km, topped up with 5ltrs both times, so overall, 2ltr per 1000km ( Sorry, only have the KM figure), I will keep and eye on it at the 7500 and 10,000 km marker and see if it is consistent.

MH is a 2023 Pilote 696 on a Ducato 140 with 9 speed auto,Driving is mixed with both Autobahn and Bundestrasse (Motorway and A roads).
Think that equates to approximately 310 miles per litre. Been monitoring my consumption and I’d come up with 250 miles per litre but currently waiting for my warning light to come on so may be able to be more accurate when it does. Am I right in thinking tank capacity is 19 litres.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Think that equates to approximately 310 miles per litre. Been monitoring my consumption and I’d come up with 250 miles per litre but currently waiting for my warning light to come on so may be able to be more accurate when it does. Am I right in thinking tank capacity is 19 litres.
19 litres is what the tech spec says, a top up warning at 50% seems a bit conservative but it does mean it has a good reserve if you are out in the sticks when the light comes on...

Mar 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Roller Team Toleno L
Our PVC is our first with AdBlue. I've recorded all of my top ups since new and we are averaging 280 miles per litre. Like others, I top up about every 1000 miles as I like to start a trip with a full tank.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
I did post somewhere on here a photo of adblue with anti crystal aadative having been left in an open top cup for a week or so.Srrands os crystal Upto 3/4" in length formed in the bottom and granular crystals formed up the side above the liquid line,neither were reabsorbed when cup gently agitated..I still put it in won't do any harm (I hope)

Sep 25, 2021
Burntwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 331
Exp
I topped up the Adblue tank when I bought the motorhome new 2years ago. Since then it's done 5000 miles and the gauge is still showing its 2/3 full.
I am beginning to think that it's either the gauge is faulty or its not using enough.

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
I have worked for an Adblue manufacturer,it does crystallise when in contact with air, Adblue tanks are warmed christalisation occurs when the liquid is not moving in small amounts,look around your fill point if you spill any or around the neck of containers,problems usually happen with nox sensors or dosing units, Adblue is synthetic manufactured urea and distilled water, if it’s marketed as Adblue it has to meet a certain standard of purity as such rigorous testing of each batch, but if it’s marketed as def or diesel exhaust fluid it doesn’t fall into the same testing requirements,adblue is a patented name as such it needs to meet that standard to be sold as such, we used to send two snatch samples to Holland every night to be tested next day, average batches were 36,000 litres, usually 4 batches on the go

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Just some suggestions from people. My pvc has now covered nearly 11000 miles and the adblu was topped up at around 5000 miles when the light came on ( no gauge to say how low) . I am expecting it to come on at anytime and it is in for a service next week.
I was given an unopened 5 litre container of Adblu last summer which has stayed in the dark in the garage. Should a) I wait until the light comes on, b) use the Adblu I have or c) ask the garage to top up?
We have a Kon-Tiki 599 Ducato 2.3TD 160BHP pushing max 4,250kgs most of the time, and in the past year we've driven 56,000 miles around the USA.
A 9.5L (2 US Gallon container) of Ad-Blu or DEF as it called in USA lasted between 600 & 2,400 miles.
In USA we drive at anything between sea level or below in Death Valley to & 14,000 up Mount Evans and temperatures between -7C to 42C.

We only topped up when warning light came on.

5000 on 5l, or half a tank presuming the same 19l as Ducato is astonishing

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have worked for an Adblue manufacturer,it does crystallise when in contact with air, Adblue tanks are warmed christalisation occurs when the liquid is not moving in small amounts,look around your fill point if you spill any or around the neck of containers,problems usually happen with nox sensors or dosing units, Adblue is synthetic manufactured urea and distilled water, if it’s marketed as Adblue it has to meet a certain standard of purity as such rigorous testing of each batch, but if it’s marketed as def or diesel exhaust fluid it doesn’t fall into the same testing requirements,adblue is a patented name as such it needs to meet that standard to be sold as such, we used to send two snatch samples to Holland every night to be tested next day, average batches were 36,000 litres, usually 4 batches on the go
the darkside Thanks for this knowledge based info. Do you know of any impact of using an additive like Forte, which I think may be Wynns, into the tank?

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S

royandsharont

"but if it’s marketed as def or diesel exhaust fluid it doesn’t fall into the same testing requirements"

DEF / Diesel Exhaust Fluid is simply the name used in the USA, it's produced to the same ISO 22241 (-1,-2,-3) as
AdBlue in Europe.

AdBlue® has the symbol ® because it is a registered trademark of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA). The VDA makes sure that product quality standards are met.

The Patented element is BASF SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) technologies. Within the SCR, AdBlue® is directly injected into the exhaust gas where it serves as a reducing agent to meet the latest regulations for NOx emissions

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
You can often seen the crystals starting to form around the cap on containers on petrol station forecourts. Stored out in the daylight for who knows how long.
They are not "crystals starting to form around the cap on containers", they are crystals DEPOSITED by the evaporation
of the water from the Adbloo. The same way salt if extracted from sea water.
I've not seen a clear AdBloo container to be able to look, so try a little school day experiment, 1/2 fill a small clear plastic
bottle with Adbloo and seal cap. Leave it a few days and see if you see crystals in the solution?
Then shake the bottle, remove the cap and leave for a few more days, any crystals in the solution?
There may be some on the sides above the fluid line but this is evaporation as well.
AdBloo freezes at -11c so squeeze the bottle to remove a some air, seal and put in the freezer, put inside an airtight
plastic back just to be sure. The reduced temp may cause crystals to come out of suspension but they will redissolve
when it warms up.

You just need The Bare Necessities.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks for the education.

There are still crystals around the cap of unused Adblue and I wouldn’t touch any like that.

Feb 3, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
My 9 speed 140 Ducato is doing nearer 200 miles per litre, fair bit of motorway type driving. I don't wait for the alarm and top up based on mileage before it gets to low. The dash gauge is also suspect where accuracy is concerned. I also make sure can and filler are spotlessly clean.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No

royandsharont

"but if it’s marketed as def or diesel exhaust fluid it doesn’t fall into the same testing requirements"

DEF / Diesel Exhaust Fluid is simply the name used in the USA, it's produced to the same ISO 22241 (-1,-2,-3) as
AdBlue in Europe.

AdBlue® has the symbol ® because it is a registered trademark of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA). The VDA makes sure that product quality standards are met.

The Patented element is BASF SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) technologies. Within the SCR, AdBlue® is directly injected into the exhaust gas where it serves as a reducing agent to meet the latest regulations for NOx emissions
A very useful clarification. I was wondering if the DEF/AdBlue distinction was real or not. Glad to know that it's just a nomenclature difference.

Apr 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I wait for the light then put 5 litres in, lasts about 1000 miles on average. If you overfill it can cause problems. Also run with the additive. The crystals if formed can cause expensive issues as I learned to my cost with my car.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Questions:

1) Are there different sizes of Adblue pump nozzle for HGV vs cars and vans on forecourt pumps in the UK?

2) Has anyone come up with a reliable means of locating, in the UK, service stations or forecourts that have Adblue PUMPS rather than containers? Around Oxford, they are like hen's teeth.

For Info:
Finding Adblue In France is not too much of an issue, as Adblue pumps are relatively plentiful.
In France, we use Google to search for "Adblue pump near me" when we think a top-up might be in order. This is generally reliable. Whereas in the UK using Google search is a bit more hit-and-miss and can provide a list of forecourts with Adblue in containers, which I try to avoid.
If we incidentally come across an Adblue pump when filling up with diesel we always top up the Adblue as well. We always fill it to the first cut-off point before storage.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I wait for the light then put 5 litres in, lasts about 1000 miles on average. If you overfill it can cause problems. Also run with the additive. The crystals if formed can cause expensive issues as I learned to my cost with my car.
Details of car issuie would be of great interest please.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
In terms of filling a Ducato with Adblue and using additives, the following is what the (2020) manual says:
"IMPORTANT DO NOT EXCEED THE MAXIMUM LEVEL: this could cause damage to the reservoir. AdBlue® (UREA) freezes at under -11 °C. Although the system is designed to operate below the freezing point of the UREA, it is advisable not to fill the tank beyond the maximum level because if the AdBlue® (UREA) freezes the system can be damaged......
........Do not add additives or other fluids to AdBlue® (UREA); doing so could damage the system."

Jul 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Questions:

1) Are there different sizes of Adblue pump nozzle for HGV vs cars and vans on forecourt pumps in the UK?

2) Has anyone come up with a reliable means of locating, in the UK, service stations or forecourts that have Adblue PUMPS rather than containers? Around Oxford, they are like hen's teeth.

For Info:
Finding Adblue In France is not too much of an issue, as Adblue pumps are relatively plentiful.
In France, we use Google to search for "Adblue pump near me" when we think a top-up might be in order. This is generally reliable. Whereas in the UK using Google search is a bit more hit-and-miss and can provide a list of forecourts with Adblue in containers, which I try to avoid.
If we incidentally come across an Adblue pump when filling up with diesel we always top up the Adblue as well. We always brim it before storage.
1) Not that I have seen, only issue 2 in Europe but multiple on USA all the small taper type, truck in USA have the same smaller fill point.
2) No, if I google AdBlue pump near me (Watford) most results are people asking the same questions, a google map with stations marked but
no indication if they are just ones with AdBlue pump, BUT it is not ALL stations near me so read that as you wish.
There is a very useful BP website listing stations with AdBlue pump if you find yourself in Australia.

I have 2x9.5l (2 US Gallon) containers I bought back from the USA, with chemical markings, that I plan to refill from pump as required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back