Accidentally put diesel in fresh water tank, how to clean it? (1 Viewer)

Jul 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Since 2014
So this week has not gotten any better, first fuel up, and the husband put 7 ltrs of diesel in the fresh water tank by mistake. The two fillers are next to each other, and I had borrowed his glasses so its my fault 🤣
Question what to use to clean it. We managed to syphon the water out without, anything going through the pump or pipes. Now in a campsite so have the tank soaking in fairy. Any ideas would be appreciated 🙏

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not as much diesel, maybe a litre, and flushed the tank with plain water for two or three hours then filled and a whole pack of puraclean tablets and let stand a day or two
Not on a meter and as long as Yorkshire water lose so much through leaking pipes I don't care.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
A neighbour at shell island was doing from this link this last year. He also handnt run any through. Though he did have an issue keep warming his water to get it Luke warm.. :rolleyes:
Said it was fine a couple days later

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Only real way to get rid of it completely is to replace the tank and all the pipework if the taps have been run.
Don't forget to replace the filler pipe as well.
That’s exactly what I would do!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jolley holidays
Jul 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Since 2014
That’s exactly what I would do!
Fortunately nothing was run, we managed to empty the tank, immediately, first siphoning off the diesel on the top, as much as possible. The tank was only about a quarter full. Have soaked it overnight. In fairy now off to buy steredent tablets to try that before we go to the expense of replacing the tank. Thanks for the tips

OP
OP
jolley holidays
Jul 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Since 2014
A neighbour at shell island was doing from this link this last year. He also handnt run any through. Though he did have an issue keep warming his water to get it Luke warm.. :rolleyes:
Said it was fine a couple days later
Thanks, off to buy steredent 😀

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
In my many years in the water industry I have experienced this a few times. Usually caused by people using chemical drums to store diesel and then accidently using it to disinfect water mains.

It's not looking good. Diesel reacts with plastic and it cannot ever be fully removed. It was possible with cast iron and ductile iron pipes to flush it out, but with the MDPE (plastic pipes) they had to be dug up a d replaced.

Good luck though. It's worth a try. Perhaps some powdered activated carbon might be worth a try as it adsorbs organic compounds more aggressively than plastic.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No

used this stuff a few times when working at a garage hiring out motorhomes worked well and no problems after doing it on one van we had to do it twice in a month, all was still working well afterwards. Follow the instructions to the letter

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

used this stuff a few times when working at a garage hiring out motorhomes worked well and no problems after doing it on one van we had to do it twice in a month, all was still working well afterwards. Follow the instructions to the letter

I assume that’s likely H2O2 or at least at 25%. Hydrogen peroxide will clean tanks out really well and is flushed easily, it’s what I’ve used in marine aquaculture on IBCs several times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

It was looking so good until;
"
7. Once you are satisfied that the tank and pipes are clear, sanitize the water system using Milton ??? or a similar product. Follow the instructions on the sanitizing liquid bottle for your tank size, then flush again with fresh water. Good Luck!"

I thought Milton tainted the system as well. Suppose it's the lesser of two weavills

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I used to maintain 6 motorhomes for hire, and despite without exception warning against putting diesel in the water tank and a large label stating this is for water, it happen several times over the years. I have used this product but never used Milton to finish it off. Just followed the instructions, but first filled the water tank till it overflowed as the diesel floats on top of water so you can get rid of a lot this way.

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
If I just flushed the tank and didn't replace the tank and fill pipe, then I think I wouldn't drink the water afterwards.
Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back