Access at Porthgwarra, Cornwall (2 Viewers)

Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Anyone been down to Porthgwarra in their van? We have been many times in a car but will be in Cornwall for first time in van in May. We are looking at going down to Porthgwarra to go for a climb but are wondering about access for motorhome just over 6m in length and about 3.25m height.

Google maps pretty useless as not been updated since 2011! but does show lowish branches of trees just before car parking and the turn into the car park at bottom of hill looks a little tight.

Any help welcomed.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
You can drive it virtually using Google Maps. It's a single lane approach but in some stretches the low overhanging trees might be a challenge. Small parking area at the beach.

1675185845241.png

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
You can drive it virtually using Google Maps. It's a single lane approach but in some stretches the low overhanging trees might be a challenge. Small parking area at the beach.

View attachment 711948
Trouble is that google maps is well out of date, streetview last updated in 2011! Not too bothered going down the hill, it's the trees near the bottom and the turn into the car park that could be an issue!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'd hope that the trees would be kept trimmed on a public road, and for the refuse collection trucks going to the cafe by the car park.

1675186740879.png

Cafe..........

1675186539474.png

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The turn looks OK but it's a long way to reverse if you can't get under the trees! :) At 3.25m you are about half a metre taller than a typical delivery van.

If you decide to go I would avoid weekends when there will be more traffic.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I’d be surprised if tree clearance was an issue. Locals tend to complain to the Council about that kind of stuff and if really bad it eventually gets sorted. Looks to me like a standard cornish lane - no grass strip up the middle is usually a good sign 😉

Last edited:

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
@Ejaydee Can you advise Eddy?

Sorry cannot say with any degree of certainty as I have not been down that lane for several years. However, I could perhaps take a drive down there in the coming week or two and let you know. It is only a few miles from where I live.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Sorry cannot say with any degree of certainty as I have not been down that lane for several years. However, I could perhaps take a drive down there in the coming week or two and let you know. It is only a few miles from where I live.
That would be a very kind thing to do thank you. We are down in Cornwall in May so no worries if you can't make it.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
engelside and meanders - Have popped down to Porthgwarra today and I would be relatively happy to take my van down there (6m). For a longer van there are a couple of areas which may be difficult, firstly there is a sharp left hander when going down, about 3 or 4 hundred yards before reaching the hamlet and secondly the right hand swing past the cottages, slightly uphill to approach the car park. The trees and hedges are well cut back, so I do not foresee any problems with them, but as ever on that road the biggest issue will be traffic approaching from the opposite direction. If you meet a tractor and trailer in a narrow part, he probably will not be able to back up.

As I said previously I have not been down there for several years, so I was astonished today to find the car park was over half full, plus I met several cars coming away from there on the approach road.

If you decide to go, enjoy!!

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
When at Porthcurno, If you go up the hill towards The Minack and go past - keep going and there's a large field on the RHS next to the church above Porth Chapel where there's parking and an honesty box for the church. It's less of a walk then, to Porthgwarra.

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
engelside and meanders - Have popped down to Porthgwarra today and I would be relatively happy to take my van down there (6m). For a longer van there are a couple of areas which may be difficult, firstly there is a sharp left hander when going down, about 3 or 4 hundred yards before reaching the hamlet and secondly the right hand swing past the cottages, slightly uphill to approach the car park. The trees and hedges are well cut back, so I do not foresee any problems with them, but as ever on that road the biggest issue will be traffic approaching from the opposite direction. If you meet a tractor and trailer in a narrow part, he probably will not be able to back up.

As I said previously I have not been down there for several years, so I was astonished today to find the car park was over half full, plus I met several cars coming away from there on the approach road.

If you decide to go, enjoy!!
Thank you so much for that. Will bear all that in mind when we are in Cornwall.

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
When at Porthcurno, If you go up the hill towards The Minack and go past - keep going and there's a large field on the RHS next to the church above Porth Chapel where there's parking and an honesty box for the church. It's less of a walk then, to Porthgwarra.
Thanks Manthevan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
engelside
Aug 29, 2019
Somerset, near Wincanton
Funster No
MH
Mirage 5000 A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Didn't try last year but might be popping down this week. Anyone been down there recently have any updates as to getting down there in 6m van, just over 3m height?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back