"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (3 Viewers)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've really enjoyed your thread especially on a miserable day like today with its grey skies and rain. We won't ever be cycling but just seeing the different places you're going to plus the blue skies and overnights are definitely giving me thoughts about any future dog-free trips we will be doing.

Thanks Mindy (I know it's always you that posts!). It's really nice to get some feedback.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think the posts are brilliant , they make my day ! we are off to Spain a week tomorrow , can’t wait!

If you choose the right places, and get the right weather, and know what you want to see and do, you'll have a brilliant time.

Spain has so much to offer, they just don't know it!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We left our secure overnight(s) spot and headed for the next place in the scheme (Castellar de Santiago). Unfortunately, for the first time, we were unable to enter due to the computer "saying no" not accepting any payments. We'd gone to the trouble of downloading a Wikiloc route as well 🤣🤣.

So we continued on to our present spot at Villanueva de los Infantes. We were here once before, and the town is very nice.

Whilst Martin offloaded the bikes, I quickly scanned for a ride to do and, as a quick find, it turned out to be pretty good. No closed tracks today.

A bit different here, more ploughed fields but still a fair amount of flowers.

DSCN8715~2.JPG

Two traffic jams 🤣🤣
DSCN8702~2.JPG
DSCN8711~3.JPG

A bush of pink roses, amongst the other flowers.
DSCN8710~2.JPG

We visited two villages. The first was Cózar, with an Ermita and a huge Church. And a fuente, and a bull that Martin took by the horns 🤭

DSCN8709~2.JPG
DSCN8704~3.JPG
DSCN8705~2.JPG
DSCN8708~2.JPG

Another long stretch of lovely, easy, track riding, eventually brought us through the village of Alcubillas, with its Church that we'd seen on our approach. I stopped to photo an old farm, built from mud blocks.

DSCN8720~2.JPG
DSCN8722~2.JPG
DSCN8724~2.JPG
DSCN8726~2.JPG

Remember this???
DSCN8727~2.JPG

😂😂😂

From here we had a sunny, but cool, in the wind, ride back, and we eventually arrived back at the van through the labyrinth of small streets.

The village/town is well worth a visit on its own. I have some photos from our previous visit, somewhere.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We left this morning and headed to La Solana (and yet another of the areas in the scheme). It may be one of the last for this trip. We passed through La Solana on our final day of our four day bike ride. The area around is lovely.

We first parked up on a town street and hiked 300 metres to a laundrette. We could have got closer, if only we'd known 😂. I wiled away almost an hour of my life, whilst Martin opted to shop in the nearby Comsum. The laundrette has a machine solely for washing pet items.

IMG_20240424_114128~2.jpg

We then went to find the motorhome parking. Access was slightly hampered by the weekly market. We parked up and Martin went on foot to find a way in.

In ... parked up ... Market visited. We spent a whole €2 on a lighter and a box of cotton buds 🤣🤣

We're not expecting that we have our quietest night ever, here. It is a bigger place than we normally frequent.

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Well it was an incredibly quiet night...not a whisper or a bark....
Before settling down last night, I noticed a gent with a motorhome trying with the aid of two Guardia Civil officers to gain access to this paid Camperstop...
I offered my assistance and between us got the man/van registered to access this automated parking....
Without doubt this guy didn't want to pay....and told the officers this... suggesting to them he would sleep outside the area....
It was obvious they didn't agree his plan and got him to finally offer his credit card to the machine..the card reader declined the transaction...I left....the officers and the man stayed outside...finally the Guardia Civil left to go a catch a thief or two...the man parked adjacent the gate and remained there...this morning the man and van were gone...6€ a night is all it takes to get secure well lit parking ... obviously the man had spent all his money on the nice Hymer...🥴🇪🇦

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've decided to have a ride from here today, and stay again tonight, as it was so quiet after all. Then tomorrow we can shop in Mercadona and move somewhere for the weekend.

There may soon be a slight break down in the weather. It's going to be much cooler than it has been, and there may even be a chance of some rain. We'll be watching the forecasts carefully.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Haha seen on a Spanish motorhoming Facebook group. Peavy ???

Hola a todos,sabe alguien un tipo de aa tipo pingüino q aguante la luz de las áreas y no salte el automático de cara al verano?

I have absolutely no idea what it's about 🤣🤣 and translating it doesn't help.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Haha seen on a Spanish motorhoming Facebook group. Peavy ???

Hola a todos,sabe alguien un tipo de aa tipo pingüino q aguante la luz de las áreas y no salte el automático de cara al verano?

I have absolutely no idea what it's about 🤣🤣 and translating it doesn't help.
:LOL::LOL:
He or she is asking for an 220V portable air conditioner which wouldn't trip the circuit breaker in an aire with electrical hook up.
Those things are popularly called pingüino (penguin) in Spain, because the brand that made them popular a few years back (De'Longhi) had a model named pingüino
Like this one below:

1714034715162.png
1714034861676.png

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
He or she is asking for an 220V portable air conditioner which wouldn't trip the circuit breaker in an aire with electrical hook up.
Those things are popularly called pingüino (penguin) in Spain, because the brand that made them popular a few years back (De'Longhi) had a model named pingüino
Like this one below:

View attachment 889724View attachment 889725

Well thanks. I've learnt something new today 👍

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Like this one below:

View attachment 889724View attachment 889725
Who needs Google when we have Peavy as our search engine...

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today's ride was a bit of a wild card. It was originally posted in 2013, so we expected some changes. We got all the way to the embalse (reservoir) with no problems. Just as I was getting blasé, we arrived at a chain and private signs. In 2013 they went through that way. Luckily there was another track to the right of the chain, so we set off that way.

The riding was good, except for a steep, loose stones, uphill climb. We eventually popped out onto a driveable track which got us all the way back to the village.

We passed the best poppy fields ever, so the alternative had its merits.

DSCN8728~2.JPG

A fig tree, with lots of figs, ready in late May, maybe.
DSCN8730~2.JPG

DSCN8732~2.JPG

The embalse.
DSCN8734~2.JPG
DSCN8736~2.JPG

The smug feeling was still being felt here.
DSCN8737~2.JPG

Hunting is private.

When immediately around the corner ...
DSCN8739~2.JPG

The track we took is out of shot to the right, and eventually we climbed, and descended a lovely track, to the main track that took us through to the village.

DSCN8741~2.JPG

And past the field of poppies.
DSCN8743~2.JPG
DSCN8742~2.JPG

Not a bad day (again 😊).

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for continuing to post your wonderful photos and introducing us to some new areas to visit. I have caught up with your adventures after returning from some of our own. Thanks again, Jane

Thank you.

This area of Spain is absolutely brilliant for anyone wanting to ride off road, on easy tracks. We'll definitely be back here often.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for continuing to post your wonderful photos and introducing us to some new areas to visit. I have caught up with your adventures after returning from some of our own. Thanks again, Jane
Super gravel or easy MTB routes....make your own or use Wikiloc app filled with many routes of various distances....not an area for hard hitting Downhill riding...advice on that available if required....just pleasant riding in pleasant surrounding....
A Camperstop network to support everyones needs....
Sorry but no Brit bars or all day English near here...this is true, real Spain with a climate that suits most...

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We decided to spend another night here and do another ride today. Martin knows how to work the entrance machine to allow us to pay for longer 🤔🤭. Now if it was a busy place, we wouldn't take advantage, but as we're now here alone ... we're here for another night.

Today we rode another 2013 route and it was soooo lovely. Nothing spectacular but just perfect riding for our bikes, and doable, carefully, with gravel bikes.

It was 41km on Wikiloc. We did a bit more, riding into the route and getting back through the town (the most stressful bit). At every direction change I was looking out for " Private" signs, but we didn't see any signs, anywhere.

We rode for kilometres through an area, unused for any farming. The same type of area we rode through on the last day of our four day bike ride. Beautiful.

If only it was better (cooler) weather here in summer, I know where we'd spend our time.

DSCN8747~2.JPG
DSCN8745~2.JPG
DSCN8749~2.JPG
DSCN8750~2.JPG
DSCN8759~2.JPG
DSCN8753~2.JPG
DSCN8757~2.JPG
DSCN8762~2.JPG
DSCN8756~2.JPG
DSCN8765~2.JPG
DSCN8766~2.JPG

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
😉 Those tracks are the sort Janie takes me on after heavy rain, 🌧 loving your thread we have done some of the Don Quixote route. 👍
Nice to get a reminder 😯 we never write anything down and forget how much we enjoyed it.😍
Sometimes it takes Google photos to remind us, bit like our walks I remember the parking but the route is blank until you get going. 😁 Bob.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
😉 Those tracks are the sort Janie takes me on after heavy rain, 🌧 loving your thread we have done some of the Don Quixote route. 👍
Nice to get a reminder 😯 we never right anything down and forget how much we enjoyed it.😍
Sometimes it takes Google photos to remind us, bit like our walks I remember the parking but the route is blank until you get going. 😁 Bob.

We were mentioning, as we were riding, how some of these tracks would be impossible after rain. If we get rain in the next few days we'll be out on the gravel via verde afterwards. Luckily they dry out quickly.

One advantage of doing a thread like this, for me, is to be able to look back and remind ourselves of places and rides.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
And ... now for something completely different ... we've had RAIN
🌨
🌨
. We drove through quite a heavy shower on the way to our present parking, where it doesn't seem that it fell too hard.

We first intended to stop at Alkasar de San Juan (somewhere we rode through a few weeks ago) but when it seemed that it was possibly fiesta time there (huge stage and huge speakers) we invoked plan B.

We're now parked near the windmills at Campo de Criptana, where we rode through a year ago. It's grey, running to blue, and breezy, but dry.
We're hoping to ride from here tomorrow, weather permitting.

The poor guy with the bike picked the wrong day to be here. Our time here, on the bikes last year, was totally different.

DSCN8767~2.JPG
DSCN8774~2.JPG
DSCN8768~2.JPG
DSCN8771~2.JPG
DSCN8772~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We stopped at a Hyperstore in Alkasar, to get some bread and wine. How strange that I bought a Murcian wine box (our normal tipple when at home) here in Valdapeñas country. I also got the Upside Down beer at 65 cents a can (for eight), and Nordic Tonic for 48 cents a can (for a full pack).

Good job I'm strong. With them, (and some food), in a bag on one shoulder and a 5 litre wine box in the other hand, I need to keep fit 🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Last night the wind got up, and it was blowing from the town with the music. It was loud enough for us to leave, it's a good job we didn't stay there!

We drove back down the hill to the Ermita parking, we'd passed on the drive in. Even there wasn't so peaceful, as a private party was taking place in part of the building. A midnight firework display (noise rather than display) and things settled.

We had a reasonable night, and this morning we visited the Ermita. Martin had a plan. We'd go to the secure parking (that we'd shunned yesterday because of the adverse comments) and ride from there. So that's what we did. And that's where are now.

We had another very good ride, but cut it short at the end, because we'd seen the windmills yesterday.

On arriving back at the secure parking we found out just how secure it is. No matter how many times we input the pedestrian gate code, the gate wouldn't open. Ex climber Martin, had to become a none ex climber, and he scaled the gate to open from the inside.

Not a lot of 72 year olds could do that 🤭🤣😊 (not a lot half that age could either).

We could, of course, have taken the easier option of calling the number on the screen ........... 😂😂 but why would you???

Sun, this morning, in the pines where we eventually parked last night.
IMG_20240428_072937~3.jpg

And looking back from the Ermita parking this morning, and Ermita photos. We'd been hiding in the pines just below.
DSCN8787~2.JPG

DSCN8782~2.JPG
DSCN8776~2.JPG
DSCN8784~2.JPG
DSCN8786~2.JPG
DSCN8778~2.JPG

Ride photos to follow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So, we're here. Tucked in a corner, furthest away from main road/ railway line/dog park. We don't need to be up early tomorrow for anything important, so we'll get as much sleep as possible. So far, it's not so noisy!

DSCN8789~2.JPG

A few from the ride. Martin's obligatory Mastin appreciation photo and a Ginger cat that was watching us in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_20240428_122609~2.jpg
DSCN8797~2.JPG
DSCN8796~2.JPG
DSCN8800~2.JPG
DSCN8803~2.JPG

My camera battery died part way round, so I only took a few photos and didn't get any decent shots of the Flamingos or the Booted Eagles that we saw 😥

One that I did get was a novel way of recycling, to make a wall.
DSCN8794~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've left. It wasn't toooo noisy. A middle of the night train and a noisy scooter.

This has been parked on the road behind us. Now it's on the motorhome parking. We were leaving so we left it to him and the authorities 🙄

IMG_20240429_091821.jpg

We've just pulled into a Carrefour to use their service point. Most of the spaces are taken (there's free leccy). Not the nicest of places to stop.

Martin decided to jetwash the van, it got dirty driving up the wet gravel to the windmills. Every car wash space was free, so this one pulled into the big vehicle space ahead of us 😂

He's now aspirating across the way 🤣🤣

IMG_20240429_110134.jpg

People!!!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
And ... now for something completely different ... we've had RAIN
🌨
🌨
. We drove through quite a heavy shower on the way to our present parking, where it doesn't seem that it fell too hard.

We first intended to stop at Alkasar de San Juan (somewhere we rode through a few weeks ago) but when it seemed that it was possibly fiesta time there (huge stage and huge speakers) we invoked plan B.

We're now parked near the windmills at Campo de Criptana, where we rode through a year ago. It's grey, running to blue, and breezy, but dry.
We're hoping to ride from here tomorrow, weather permitting.

The poor guy with the bike picked the wrong day to be here. Our time here, on the bikes last year, was totally different.

View attachment 890660View attachment 890661View attachment 890662View attachment 890663View attachment 890664

20220429_165214.jpg

On this day 2022 we was there. 😁 Bob.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
It's raining here in sitges on camping garrofer so I took the opportunity to wash the motorhome. Yes I know very naughty, it's not perfect but it's got the majority of the dust off and I only used half a bucket of water I was tempted to get the timotei out and do myself at the same time but I think that would be a step too far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back