A Salad for the Hot Weather (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I eat loads.....pickled in jars or fresh on plastic trays.
Once even tried cooking some.....took far too long.
I grow beetroot and love it straight from the garden. Twist off the tops, wash clean, place in Pyrex bowl with tablespoon of water and cover. Then 4 minutes on high power in microwave, perhaps 5 minutes if large. Cool in cold water, skin will fall off. Delicious.

Geoff

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a prawn salad for breakfast today at the beach cafe.
It looked lovely next to the ham salads.
Prawns were plentiful but rubbery tasteless rubbish
, how I wished I had the ham salad

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I had a prawn salad for breakfast today at the beach cafe.
It looked lovely next to the ham salads.
Prawns were plentiful but rubbery tasteless rubbish
, how I wished I had the ham salad
Haha, don’t feel alone, I think we have all been there, done that! Prawns are nearly always a disappointment, yet they look so tasty……. 🤣

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Mrs DBK has made this salad for lunch twice this week and it was perfect for the high temperatures most of us are experiencing now.

View attachment 652246

Ingredients:

Watermelon peeled and cut into cubes. If there are a lot seeds in the middle scoop them out with a spoon.
Cucumber cut into small slices. Peel and deseed if you want but this is not essential.
An avocado cut into cubes.
Feta cheese cut into cubes.
One small banana shallot very finally diced. The original recipe used a red onion but we refer a shallot.
Finely chopped fresh mint leaves. You can also use fresh oregano. Dried herbs could be used at a pinch.

The dressing is made from one third lemon juice and two thirds olive oil plus salt and pepper.

Ideally make up an hour or so before needed and put it in the fridge but if you don't have time or space in the fridge eat as soon as made!
gotta ask if you have a link to the recipe, just decided to go sainsburys and try this but have guestimated and no idea if I've over or under added some of the ingredients ?

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
gotta ask if you have a link to the recipe, just decided to go sainsburys and try this but have guestimated and no idea if I've over or under added some of the ingredients ?
I couldn't find a recipe written down when I started this Thread. It was only in Mrs DBK's head but I've had another look and found this one. It's American so uses cups but it should give you an idea of the proportions although I think it doesn't use as much feta as ours does and it uses lime instead of lemon but I don't think it matters. Use either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I couldn't find a recipe written down when I started this Thread. It was only in Mrs DBK's head but I've had another look and found this one. It's American so uses cups but it should give you an idea of the proportions although I think it doesn't use as much feta as ours does and it uses lime instead of lemon but I don't think it matters. Use either.

Brilliant, cheers, that's not far from what I did, though forgot to add the pepper in the dressing and just realised I also forgot the mint lol!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This another of my favourite salads and dead easy to make.

That does look nice.

We are off to France soon but can't remember ever seeing mint on sale. You can get basil in pots but mint seems rare. We will have to smuggle a pot in or it might be easier to just chop some up and freeze it.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
That does look nice.

We are off to France soon but can't remember ever seeing mint on sale. You can get basil in pots but mint seems rare. We will have to smuggle a pot in or it might be easier to just chop some up and freeze it.
I use mint from a jar :)

• Thanks
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
That does look nice.

They do sell mint in pots, definitely in Lidl :)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
A salad is only as good as its dressing IMV, I make loads of different olive oil based ones, but my fav is honey & mustard, with olive oil of course.:giggle: when away in the van we like to take a bottle of the Pizza Express House Dressing, Aldi do a copy, but its much thinner.
We have been having lots of EU type cured meats and Salami's, served up with that cheese with holes in:giggle:, but I do love a room temp French Brie with a cracker or two, even some of that Garlic & Herb soft cheese, but not Boursin its too powdery.
Love most pickles also especially Cornichon's, Olives/capers & beetroot unless I am wearing a white shirt:oops:
Its hard to be inspired in this heat to cook, especially when beers are so filling.:drinks:
LES

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Currently shooting the smallbore rifle meeting at Bisley and cooked a Paella for 8 club mates last night.
EB32D5A2-89B2-489B-9881-9AEA1FE2CCF7.jpeg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You can nearly see our House from there, give us a shout when you cook the next one, we will be over with the chilled White wine to go with it.(y):giggle:
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back