Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 20, 2023
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 1996
Having given up the idea of towing our Smart4two due to the price of connecting it, we’ve just had a good price for the labour-only element of fitting an A-frame. However, we would have to provide the A frame ourselves. The engineer said we might even find one secondhand to save a few pennies. May I ask (a) what sort of A frame Funsters would recommend for a 2012 Smart car? We would prefer lightweight. And (b) how would you feel about using a secondhand one? Is it likely to be a false economy? Many thanks. Pen

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I came at my decision to A frame a tow car differently. Our second car was a Mini Cooper so too heavy. I could however afford a cheap third car to tow. I then found a Funster advertising an Armstrong A frame and discussed it with him. He towed a Citroen, Toyota, Peugeot Aygo type. The A frame was just the overrun brake variety with no complicated electrics. I had no qualms about buying secondhand as the Armstrong can only be be described as beefy! I then went and found an affordable Citroen, took the front panel off and replaced the front crossbar with the Armstrong replacement and went from there. The only downside to my arrangement is that the brake lights are permanently on, on that particular car, regardless of the ignition so you have to park ensuring that the overrun shock absorber is not compressed meaning that the brake lights are on resulting in a flat battery when you arrive at your destination! You learn from experience!

Clearly this might be an unsuitable solution for you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I would recommend TAF Chesterfield but then I am biased because I am thinking of selling mine. Light weight because it is stainless steel so just as strong as the heavier ones. Make sure your Smart car fitting price includes an additional front cross member because using the towing eyes is not a good idea.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
The only downside to my arrangement is that the brake lights are permanently on, on that particular car, regardless of the ignition so you have to park ensuring that the overrun shock absorber is not compressed meaning that the brake lights are on resulting in a flat battery when you arrive at your destination! You learn from experience!
My Smart Car was the same, live brake lights with ignition off. When towing with my Renault motorhome it back fed the motorhome ignition through the brake light feed and I sometimes had to leap out and pull the car backwards to stop the engine.😀 I cured this with a diode.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Bet someone will come on and tell you they are illegal here,Europe or somewhere.. Oh I just did:giggle::giggle::giggle:
Try looking at Tow Bars for Tow Cars ( often on eBay) offer used cars wit a frame,new seperate etc etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Second hand ones are good if they have been purpose made and not homemade.
The good ones are bolted to the front bumper cross member and the lower cross member.
Second hand ones often are not advertised with the car bracket i have described. Follow up the offer on here for the A-frame and see if it comes with the bracket. (although they can be bought separately)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Penk
Aug 20, 2023
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van 572
Exp
Since 1996
Thank you for all your replies and sorry to be so slow responding - it’s taken me ages to find my way back to my own question!! IT and me are not very compatible 😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you create a thread you should get notified about every reply. The little bell at the top of the screen gets red numbers beside it to tell you how many replies there have been to threads in which you are active. If you then click on the bell you get a drop down list of them so you can then go into each one to read.

Upvote 0

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
i notice you are in the forest of Dean, therefore close to Bristol. Contact LNB in bristol, great company, Electronic braking, Light comes on the motorhome dashboard to warn when brakes applied on towcar... and it charges the battery in the towcar while towing

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back