LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I didn´t realise that road tax went down above 3,500kgs. Reverse logic?? We are still searching for our first van, but I thought that vans above 3,500kgs would be harder to sell. I also thought fuel efficiency would be a lot worse. So I had decided to limit ourselves to 3.5. Are fuel efficiency/insurance/re-sale not adversely affected?
fuel efficiency, no not really affected
insurance, the same
resale is currently no issue but in a few years will start getting interesting as newer drivers need to take an extra test above 3500kg so less people will be able to drive them

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the fuel can be the same . selling no problem . there will be pre 97 drivers wanting over 3,500kg campers for at least the next 35 years . i would say insurance no difference as far as i know .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
i would say insurance no difference as far as i know .

I had a chat with my insurance company about this because I'm looking at uprating my van and they aren't interested as long as I don't make any modifications i.e. air suspension. If it's just a paper exercise, which mine will be, then they don't care

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I didn´t realise that road tax went down above 3,500kgs. Reverse logic?? We are still searching for our first van, but I thought that vans above 3,500kgs would be harder to sell. I also thought fuel efficiency would be a lot worse. So I had decided to limit ourselves to 3.5. Are fuel efficiency/insurance/re-sale not adversely affected?

Sorry, been out the loop for a few days. I'm learning as we go along but the fuel efficiency won't be affected if the 'van is plated at 3850/4000/4500Kg --- unless of course it's loaded to this extreme. The 4500Kg is the maximum permitted loaded value and hence not a target. It does however give the flexibility to load to this value but not mandatory of course.
We're selling our 'Hetty' a Hymer B584 if you're interested - advert in Classifieds or PM us for more info. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you need a good pay load if you want cheap wine and beer etc in uk for the summer . then a good payload to take food etc to europe for winter travels . uk is possibly cheapest place for food clothes shoes etc in the eu. wasnt a few years ago . but enormous fuel tanks and lots drink to return to uk with is best .

yorkist

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Altea-Benidorm
Funster No
MH
busy researching now
Exp
sadly none yet
you need a good pay load if you want cheap wine and beer etc in uk for the summer . then a good payload to take food etc to europe for winter travels . uk is possibly cheapest place for food clothes shoes etc in the eu. wasnt a few years ago . but enormous fuel tanks and lots drink to return to uk with is best .

Good advice, thank you, but based on the size of your MH in the picture you must drink and eat a bloody fortune! cheers

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Good advice, thank you, but based on the size of your MH in the picture you must drink and eat a bloody fortune! cheers
no its not a fortune . would be if bought in uk though .
i very often have m,bikes in the back . always one . plus snorkelling gear . surf boards . full workshop stuff like welding equipment . tyre fitting tools .
mind its not as big as it looks . only 33ft long in total.
i do take lots of food from uk as abroad many things have got expensive . only stuff worth buying is fuel and drink . if you smoke you might want cheaper fags etc . as it is a dont smoke .
only have 500 liters of fuel capacity . my last little truck had more . saves buying expensive uk fuel .

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I suspect you must have struggled to meet 3500 with your Hymer. We have a B584 DL built a bit flimsy for lightness, sold as 3500/3650 but we couldn't make the 3500 and had to reinstate C1 licence to run at 3650 with not a lot to spare. If we'd known this we might have gone for a heavier vehicle altogether

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi we have 654sl staredition 2010 great condition £50000
I think by now he'll have got himself sorted, the thread was started in 2014 ... good luck with your sale though!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect you must have struggled to meet 3500 with your Hymer. We have a B584 DL built a bit flimsy for lightness, sold as 3500/3650 but we couldn't make the 3500 and had to reinstate C1 licence to run at 3650 with not a lot to spare. If we'd known this we might have gone for a heavier vehicle altogether
... and another one falls into the 'old thread' trap! :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sheepish look.
Now how did that get into "What's New"?
Probably at the bottom of a viewed thread in the 'Similar threads' list which is where I think you have clicked on this one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Still reasonable advice for anyone wanting a 20 year old Hymer.
Definitely, sometimes bringing these old threads up again helps others ... well that's the excuse you can tell yourself for doing it! :LOL: ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back