2022 Fiat An improvement??? (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
I just got a 22 cab Fiat and I have noticed a few differences over the 21 cab.
Not sure if it is progress.....
1. New electric power steering makes me remember my first car which required constant adjustment of the wheel....just to drive straight.
2. Really annoying for me...Fiat have changed the door mouldings and they no longer have handles that you can run a deterrent strap or cable through to lock the front doors together really simply. Currently wondering whether to drill a hole or find some cab door locks.
3. Also, the cruise control drops out abruptly if you are going uphill. Maybe this is the same as before but I can't remember it doing so.

Sorry to sound curmudgeonly, but I am from the 'if it ain't broke....' school.💖💖🤭

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I just got a 22 cab Fiat and I have noticed a few differences over the 21 cab.
Not sure if it is progress.....
1. New electric power steering makes me remember my first car which required constant adjustment of the wheel....just to drive straight.
2. Really annoying for me...Fiat have changed the door mouldings and they no longer have handles that you can run a deterrent strap or cable through to lock the front doors together really simply. Currently wondering whether to drill a hole or find some cab door locks.
3. Also, the cruise control drops out abruptly if you are going uphill. Maybe this is the same as before but I can't remember it doing so.

Sorry to sound curmudgeonly, but I am from the 'if it ain't broke....' school.💖💖🤭
The old cab is a usability nightmare. Dials that are hard to read. Buttons that aren't visible behind the steering wheel. Stalks that twist and click in directions that seem totally inconsistent. Cruise control that's really bad at keeping at a constant speed with a really non-intuitive control mechanism. It needed an update...

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
I agree about the speedometer impossible to easily keep an eye on when in low speed areas. Would be lost with the sat nav display.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Try a Pound Shop mirror laid at an angle on the steering column.

IMG_20220418_130948.jpg

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Try a Pound Shop mirror laid at an angle on the steering column.

View attachment 644309
Already done this and it does make a difference , but not while wearing sunglasses, I might get a longer mirror (rear view one) as it might make it easier to see the speedo /kph dial .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I am dismayed to read the OP's impression of the electric power steering needing constant corrections on the 2022 Ducato.

I lived with that annoying problem for years with the Duxette's Mk2 Honda Jazz. Thankfully the latest Mk 4 Jazz Hybrid has solved the problem and the electric steering is generally OK and it stays in a straight line. [Except when the lane departure driver aid kicks in and the steering begins a wrestling match with the driver. Annoying, but you get used to it. Progress!]

I suppose FIAT's design intention is to reduce fuel consumption by eliminating the need for hydraulic power steering assistance. But, is the tiny economy gain worthwhile if the steering irks the driver so much?

OTOH - a digital speedometer - I do like those. A worthwhile improvement on the current awful dials in my Ducato.

ROCHESB

Free Member
Mar 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Itineo SB740
Exp
SInce 2002
We haven't had any issues with the electric power assisted steering on our 22 Ducato based A-Class. We really like the digital climate control and 7" digital dash, it is much better than the deeply cowled older version I struggled with on a sunny day despite the permanent lighting mod from FIAT.

As well as showing speed numerically in big clear digits (switchable between km & miles) it shows which gear the 9-speed auto box is in. The digital display shows oil & AdBlue levels as well as water & oil temperature and all the usual trip computer stuff. We don't have the integrated satnav as the dealer order specified an Alpine 9" head unit not the FIAT version.

According to my sales receipt, both the digital dash and climate control features were each priced at £440 inc VAT, as part of a Itineo/Rapido factory pre-order.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
According to my sales receipt, both the digital dash and climate control features were each priced at £440 inc VAT, as part of a Itineo/Rapido factory pre-order.
The problem is different manufacturers do different bundles, I'm just pricing up a Carthago to get the digital dash it comes with leather multifunction steering wheel & Fiat 10.1 multimedia with sat nav at £2305. No way would I want the Fiat Satnav so I will forego the dash.

It may change when the 2023 price list comes out, I can hope.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back