2021 Adria Matrix Adblue Nightmare and Other Problems Part Two. (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
The engine light does come on although later in the journey than previously. In the ferry queue at Dover I try my new dongle for the first time and am impressed with it and the app. I get 3 fault codes, one relating to an Eco Button light signal failure - I'm not aware of any such failure - and two codes in the Adblue Dosing unit, P203B00 & P206A00. No explanations are given for these and searching Google gets no results. I find my Dongle and app can clear the codes and cancel the engine light.

We continue to Spain and have a nice time. The engine light comes on on long journeys but not on shorter ones. I cancel the engine light about 6 times in all, always exactly the same codes.

On the journey back home through France after three weeks or so away, the adblue warning light comes on, at about the expected time for a refill and luckily about 20 miles before our overnight aire where I had planned to stop. But very soon after the refill warning I get a message I haven't seen before, stating I must fill within 205 miles, that swiftly changes to another message informing the vehicle will not restart once switched off, then yet another message saying I must put in 1.1 gal and wait for warning to clear before restarting.

I get to the aire and park myself up but do not switch off. With engine running I put in the 5 litres of adblue I carry, wait for message to clear but it doesn't. I switch off, turn ignition back on, message remains, I wait some minutes to see if it clears, it doesn't. I attempt to start the engine - it doesn't. We are stuffed.

We call the breakdown service we have with Comfort insurance, which results in a mechanic turning up quite quickly. He can't get message to clear, I'm able to show him my empty container that shows 5 litres/1.1 gallons has been put in, he arranges for vehicle to be recovered.

That takes the whole of the next day, during which time I trudge in the rain to a nearby supermarket to buy another 5 litres. The van only takes 4 of them before overflowing, which shows it's taken 9 litres of a 18 litre capacity. I also trudge in the rain to the local garage, and with the help of Google Translate ask them if they'd send a guy round with diagnostic kit to see what they can achieve. A mechanic zooms round in a car and he has a good go, but has no success. I appreciate their kindness and they're happy with 20 euros. They were very good.

About 5 pm a breakdown vehicle turns up driven by a mere slip of girl of about 20. She expertly straps our moho front wheels onto her vehicle and drives the whole rig to the workshop some distance away. Her driving was absolutely spot on, she stopped half way to check the straps, at the garage she reverses the rig in in one go to where she places our motorhome, she spoke some English, that young woman has received excellent training and she was naturally smiley and helpful anyway, it was nice to see in one so young. The workshop manager had agreed to stay behind after closing time to wait for us.

I can't reveal where we were or the name of the business because the workshop manager went out on a limb to help us, in a manner that could jeopardise his job. Suffice to say, the van was at exactly the right business and premises.

Workshop manager promises they'll get started on us the following afternoon. When he does so the upshot is they can't clear the light, it's probably a problem with the level measurement inside the tank, requiring a new tank at a cost of 1200 euros but it will take a week to get one.

An alternative he says, is there's a business nearby who could carry out Adblue Delete. He'd remove the engine ECU from the vehicle, take it and me to the business, he doesn't want any payment himself for doing so because it's something he's not supposed to do in his position. Quote for the job is 350 euros, no payment up front, I only pay if it's successful.

End of work the manager removes the ECU and we go off in his van. The ECU is handed over, we have a chat, the ECU guy will deliver it back the following day, workshop manager will fit it in his lunch break (they have a 2 hour lunch break!). I Google the business, it seems legit, he has a website and a presence on social media, he has good reviews, the price he quoted me is the price he quotes on his website.

All goes to plan, the ECU is returned, the manager refits as promised, the ignition is switched on - the error message is still there and the vehicle won't start. Phone calls ensue, they decide to repeat the process that afternoon.

We decide we've had enough, we decamp to a hotel a 5 minute walk away, with a good restaurant opposite.

That evening my tracker app shows the ignition being turned on and off. I get a phone call, there's been no success, can I go and see him 8am next morning?

Overnight I'm on the phone to my pal Mark, he advises all the things they could try, such as instructing the engine ECU that the instrument cluster has been replaced, etc etc. For brevity, I won't go through all that was advised, but workshop manager says they have already tried everything Mark suggests. I have to say, the workshop manager was very good, he spoke some English, we both made full use of Google Translate on our phones, he remained calm and professional at all times, he had given us lots of time in what is a large, busy place, I feel he'd made a genuine effort to help us.

So it's back to square one and replace the tank at considerable cost and we have to wait for one to arrive, about 5 days not including the weekend. We have moved to a small apartment in a nearby city because I cannot face hotel food for a week, not even Best Western. We could have the van repatriated but I've been put off by stories of this taking weeks, we have our ebikes and a month's amount of stuff with us.

So there we are. We have to put up with a simply tremendous amount of inconvenience because of a failure of emissions equipment.

I've been having a read about adblue, naturally. It is supposed to reduce emissions, however: Apparently 220 million tons of this stuff is produced ANNUALLY and then shipped around the world. Shipping is the dirtiest transport of all. Adblue uses urea, which also goes into fertiliser, and the demand for both has contributed to the price of fertiliser rising which in turn has contributed to the cost of food rising.

Adblue is sold by the pump at filling station forecourts but is also sold widely in plastic containers. I don't have adblue available at a filling station near me at home so I've been buying it in plastic containers myself, it's actually cheaper to do so. Of the 220 million tonnes of adblue sold annually, how many millions of plastic containers are produced? I mentioned the Wynn's additive for adblue, naturally that is also sold in small plastic bottles.

I think these emission reduction systems are a cheat, just as cars detecting that they're on test are a cheat. Emission reduction systems such as adblue, stop-start systems and diesel particulate filters and so on are all gaming the system, to reduce tail pipe emissions but at the cost of globally shipping hundreds of millions of tons of fluid and equipment, overwhelmingly delivered by diesel truck or van, which must result in a net increase in emissions and pollutants.

As soon as we return to the UK I will be having Adblue Delete carried out on our van and I'd strongly advise others to do likewise. I'm told it's undetectable and is reversible, and I don't think there's any moral or ethical problem with this whatsoever, because these systems are a cheat.

I think it's outrageous the inconvenience and cost we've been put to. We'll be stranded for about 10 days, if we were anywhere near our 90 day limit we would have had to fly home then travel back again to collect the van. These emissions reduction systems are unreliable and I think it takes only one delivery by a diesel-engined vehicle, or one recovery by a diesel engined truck as we have had, to more than wipe out a vehicle's emissions reduction over the lifetime of same.

Stop start systems - the reductions in fuel and emissions must be tiny, but imagine if a new starter motor has to be delivered and replaced because it has failed prematurely? As I say, this is cheating. It is in the manufacturers interests to reduce CO2 figures for various reasons, and even savings of grams can result in a vehicle being placed in a lower tax band - no matter what the consequences to owners in terms of breakdowns or to the environment with diesel-engined vehicle deliveries.

And where is the safety, in a vehicle that won't start because computer says no? What about females travelling on their own? What if the vehicle isn't in a safe place?

I am not saying all this out of sour grapes, or being yet another old man railing against the world, I am being sincere when I say I do NOT believe these systems are reducing emissions, I think common knowledge tells us this.

Thanks for reading, hope this all provides thought, fingers crossed we get our van back in 2-3 days time and that our breakdown insurance covers our costs and accommodation, and yes I'll be submitting a goodwill claim to Fiat.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
What a terrible situation. I hope you get sorted and back on the road again soon. Our dog travels with us so that would be a further complication if it was to happen to us. I have started to use an additive to the Adblue. I have no idea if it does anything or is just snake oil! You would think that the tank would be designed that the sensor could be changed without having to change the whole tank.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Do you think cancelling those vides with your dongle and App could have had anything to do with the final AdBlue warning coming on so late in the process and then not starting? I don’t get any problems with mine, so far, but it is always a concern.

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Do you think cancelling those vides with your dongle and App could have had anything to do with the final AdBlue warning coming on so late in the process and then not starting? I don’t get any problems with mine, so far, but it is always a concern.
I'll probably find out when the tank is replaced and I set off back to Blighty. The two fault codes were always the same and were in the 'Dosing Unit' - but I don't as yet know what that is. Having done the trip to Spain before, the warning light to refill with adblue came on at the expected time, it was immediately after that it all went wrong.

I have wondered if I could have avoided the whole thing by refilling the adblue tank before the light came on, but that simply didn't occur to me, and I guess I'll never know now.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Sounds absolutely awful and concerning as we are about to purchase a new motorhome with Ad blue.
Make sure the adblue tank is emptied and you refill it and that the guarantee covers the system. Have good (very good) breakdown cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Welcome to the Ad Blue world, These systems are a total pain and the scourge or Haulage Operators. When faults occur in the dosing systems they bring up a timer message which will put the vehicle into a non start mode , and you have to reach your nearest Main Dealer for a diagnosis. I have replaced the entire adblue system on one truck at several £ k costs. It can be the sensors that measure the emissions prior to dose and post dose which are a common problem, or the control unit that manages the dosing. Wish you luck hope is it not too painful on the wallet.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
One thing I forgot to mention is that the « can » where the Adblue is squired iron will get blocked with chrystallised adblue that turns rock solid, this gives all sorts of error messages. They hat to be removed and if poss cut open and cleaned, I suspect that in a small vehicle it will be a case of a new one.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have two cars with stop start and one has adblue. No problems with either and one of the cars has just clocked 100k miles the stop start is in constant use no starter problem and as far as I can recall still on the original battery 8 years on!
I think we as motorists produce pollution there are measures to reduce it I think they are pretty reasonable we do after all inflict our pollution on other people and other than if their electrd representative sets up emissions zones have little say in it .
Are some manufacturers better at producing reliable modern engines than others after all there have been several other issues with engines that have nothing to do with emissions equipment I think the fault is with the manufacturer not the emissions regulations the realistic alternative is either emissions control or regulations to reduce vehicle use or ban more polluting vehicles completely.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I also have 3 complient euro 6 vehicles none of which have Adblue No problems with any two of which have stop start , my last stop start went over 100k like yours without any issues. The Adblue issues are however more prevelant in goods vehicle engines and the Ducato is a popular choice of the White van man as well as being the most popular MH Base choice. As mentioned the Adblue when not run at high temperatures to clear the DPF will solidify and block the DPF. Most have a regenerative program in which the engine will run at screamingly high revs to clear the DPF ,and it is acrivated with the Tchs Lap Top. Wynns now make an additive to be added to the Adblue reservoir to reduce the crystalization problem.
Those of use who have Gas CH at home also help to increase emissions of course.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
One thing I forgot to mention is that the « can » where the Adblue is squired iron will get blocked with chrystallised adblue that turns rock solid, this gives all sorts of error messages. They hat to be removed and if poss cut open and cleaned, I suspect that in a small vehicle it will be a case of a new one.

You are right,that is the biggest problem with adblue systems, the crystallisation.
It’s best to keep it topped up to minimise this happening. I used to sell adblue
parts for trucks,along with Nox sensors ,and that’s the feedback I always used to get.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Reading this I'm pleased my PVC doesn't have Adblue . I thought having a ComfortMatic gearbox was worry enough but anyone with AdBlue and ComfortMatic must hardly sleep at night.
Probably doesn’t happen. Adblue arrived at the same time as the Comfortmatic disappeared. I had Adblue on my previous motorhome and never had any problems. Topped it up when it went below half and didn’t lie awake at night worrying, I didn’t know I was supposed to.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
My main point really is that people who don't like cleaner engines because of the technology seem to think there is an option of not having the tech but continuing to produce diesel vehicles it's very unlikely that all the emissions targets are going to suddenly dissapear so it isn't an option. If significant numbers start to remove the emissions apparatus they will just make illegal to do so with a big fine and have roadside checks. Going back in time isn't an option if the kit isn't reliable from some manufacturers and is from others blame the manufacturer

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My main point really is that people who don't like cleaner engines because of the technology seem to think there is an option of not having the tech but continuing to produce diesel vehicles it's very unlikely that all the emissions targets are going to suddenly dissapear so it isn't an option. If significant numbers start to remove the emissions apparatus they will just make illegal to do so with a big fine and have roadside checks. Going back in time isn't an option if the kit isn't reliable from some manufacturers and is from others blame the manufacturer
I can see it becoming part of the MOT.

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Nobody has said they don't want cleaner engines, but I don't want a cleaner engine at the cost to others and their health. My point is that we simply can not know if we are getting reduced emissions, because 220 million tonnes (and rising) of this product is manufactured and then shipped around the world, along with the production of millions of plastic containers. In my 17k miles I've disposed of about 6 containers so far. (There is also the likelihood that the ships are burning our used engine oil as they cross the oceans).

As others have said, crystallisation is an issue, you can see injectors removed on YouTube. I'm worried to hear that they can solidify heavily, I got the impression that they are easy to remove and cleaned with hot water (if the injector is accessible). And as said, we know there is an additive to combat crystallisation of the additive, and that is also sold in plastic bottles.

I expect to have a cleaner engine but I also expect that to be arrived at legitimately, and we know the manufacturers will and do game the system.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nobody has said they don't want cleaner engines, but I don't want a cleaner engine at the cost to others and their health. My point is that we simply can not know if we are getting reduced emissions, because 220 million tonnes (and rising) of this product is manufactured and then shipped around the world, along with the production of millions of plastic containers. In my 17k miles I've disposed of about 6 containers so far. (There is also the likelihood that the ships are burning our used engine oil as they cross the oceans).

As others have said, crystallisation is an issue, you can see injectors removed on YouTube. I'm worried to hear that they can solidify heavily, I got the impression that they are easy to remove and cleaned with hot water (if the injector is accessible). And as said, we know there is an additive to combat crystallisation of the additive, and that is also sold in plastic bottles.

I expect to have a cleaner engine but I also expect that to be arrived at legitimately, and we know the manufacturers will and do game the system.
I'm pretty sure that greater expertise than you or I posess has looked at the emissions and which way is better for the environment. Even if they are wrong our opinion is not going to make a huge difference!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and have roadside checks.
No chance.Not possible to test in a garage without dismantling a vehicle so not going to happen on the side of the road.
I can see it becoming part of the MOT.
most are already?
I'm pretty sure that greater expertise than you or I posess has looked at the emissions and which way is better for the environment.
No that is extremely doubtful,they have just introduced what someone has decided they want.
Even if they are wrong our opinion
Which is probably correct. Then again they will have no idea whether anything is correct.They believe what they are told.

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
I'm pretty sure that greater expertise than you or I posess has looked at the emissions and which way is better for the environment. Even if they are wrong our opinion is not going to make a huge difference!
Agree with the latter, not sure about the former. It was the European car manufacturers who were caught with their pants down cheating the system. But not by the EU or European regulators, we had to rely on the Americans to do that for us.

I think they are still cheating the system, they are producing cleaner tail pipe figures (so we must believe) but at a cost of shipping and transporting huge amounts of additive and equipment around.

Who is to say it is working? It is known that CO2 figures are not coming down. https://www.reuters.com/business/en...issions-most-cars-have-not-fallen-2024-01-24/

Re adblue in cars, overall it is the case that cars are in regular use, so it may be that adblue systems are reliable in cars, (though it is disconcerting that hauliers are reporting unreliability on trucks which obviously do big miles).

Our motorhomes spend significant periods of time not being used. My diagnostics guy reports agricultural vehicles are suffering also through periods of little use or of long periods idling or at low rpm.

Anyway, my vehicle tracker is showing movement so it looks like it's being worked on. 🤞

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Who is to say it is working? It is known that CO2 figures are not coming down.
Adblue is not about CO2 it reduces NOX and particulates that are dangerous to health. CO2 emissions are and global warming are another issue.

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Adblue is not about CO2 it reduces NOX and particulates that are dangerous to health. CO2 emissions are and global warming are another issue.
Yes, I've struggled to find info on NOX either way. Is NOX being reduced overall? If 220 million tonnes of adblue is being shipped and transported annually, by oil fired ships and mostly diesel engined road vehicles, I'll be surprised. Ditto particulates. Tyre particulates now said to be a bigger problem than particulates from exhausts, that's one hell of a lot of tyres delivering adblue into our towns and cities.

Then how about the production of millions of plastic containers? Then there's the cost of it all, including repairs and replacements. Money doesn't grow on trees, it has to be made, and when money is being made so is pollution.

I see problems are beginning to be noted. According to this article the EU-wide average cost of repairs is 921 euros. You wouldn't want too many of those, - our vehicle is just 2 months out of warranty so plenty of time to experience it again. :-(

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Yes, I've struggled to find info on NOX either way. Is NOX being reduced overall? If 220 million tonnes of adblue is being shipped and transported annually, by oil fired ships and mostly diesel engined road vehicles, I'll be surprised. Ditto particulates. Tyre particulates now said to be a bigger problem than particulates from exhausts, that's one hell of a lot of tyres delivering adblue into our towns and cities.

Then how about the production of millions of plastic containers? Then there's the cost of it all, including repairs and replacements. Money doesn't grow on trees, it has to be made, and when money is being made so is pollution.

I see problems are beginning to be noted. According to this article the EU-wide average cost of repairs is 921 euros. You wouldn't want too many of those, - our vehicle is just 2 months out of warranty so plenty of time to experience it again. :-(

Those numbers in the article are tip of the iceberg. There will be 10’s of thousands with issues who have just had the software deleted.

By the way, from what I’ve heard, yes you can reverse the software delete. But you will have to also put a new tank, pump and sensors in too before re-commissioning the system.

From what I hear it’s affecting all manufacturers but one of the worst ones is Mercedes. That comment was from a Mercedes service technician.

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Those numbers in the article are tip of the iceberg. There will be 10’s of thousands with issues who have just had the software deleted.

By the way, from what I’ve heard, yes you can reverse the software delete. But you will have to also put a new tank, pump and sensors in too before re-commissioning the system.

From what I hear it’s affecting all manufacturers but one of the worst ones is Mercedes. That comment was from a Mercedes service technician.
Well, my vehicle has had a new tank. I think I will keep the system filled, after all it's less than 20 litres, and go for the software delete.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Well, my vehicle has had a new tank. I think I will keep the system filled, after all it's less than 20 litres, and go for the software delete.

I believe the tanks have heaters in them. When the system is deleted the heater is disabled and any adblue left in the system will go off over time. Maybe wrong though.

OP
OP
T
Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
I need to correct my figures, it's 220 million tonnes of Urea that's produced annually, which is not just used in adblue. It's diesel exhaust fluid I should be looking at.
And it's not just supplied by China, there are production plants all around the world.

The global diesel exhaust fluid market was valued at USD 34.4 billion in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 50.0 billion by 2027

The previous article I posted showed an EU average repair bill of 921 euros.

The whole thing is starting to look like one heck of a money go round.

I also note that over 60% of adblue is water, deionised water. That's right, for every ton over 600 kilos is water. That should be fun for some parts of the world.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back