2 days in Northern Ireland/Ireland, what to do? (1 Viewer)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We are going to Ireland/Northern Ireland, have the Holyhead to Dublin ferry booked and I've been planning an itinerary. I've come a bit unstuck on the last two days before returning and would like to ask for a little help from those "in the know".
We have 3 nights to get from the Giant's Causeway down to Dublin for our return ferry. The Giant's Causeway is my last planned activity but I would like some help with suggestions on what to see for the 2 remaining days. We like to drive and take nice photos, some walking is fine but not loads as I have a few issues. Once I know where we want to go then I can sort out the overnights.
This is a dog free trip as our son/DIL have offered to have them.
Mindy

Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
Yeah titanic well worth a visit.you can overnight about a mile away towards holywood(end of airport road) and then park nearby for the day. Overnight parking also a short drive away Bangor(ballyholme) then a short drive back into Belfast.

Nov 28, 2012
newtownards
Funster No
MH
Pilote 633m pvc
Exp
Maybe also while near Belfast try and book https://thegobbinscliffpath.com
I haven't been able to get yet but it's supposed to be a worthwhile visit.can also overnight at whitehead.
Make sure you follow the Antrim coast road when going to the giants causeway.lots of nice park ups and overnight spots as well.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
From giants causeway follow the Antrim coastal road (ranked in the top 10 road trips in the world) lots of places to stop enroute to Belfast (Titanic experience, troubles bus city tours, Crumlin road goal visit, and lots more...) safe parking at Dundonald caravan, motorhome parking (can be booked in advance) lots of restaurants etc nearby and a bus takes you to city centre in 15 mins, After Belfast, Donaghadee lovely little seaside town with free motorhome parking by the old harbour wall big area with loads of room, (motorhome facilities 2 mins away at The Commons car park) after Donaghadee Newcastle County Down, another lovely location at the foot of Slieve Donard and the mountains of Mourne (sweep down to the sea) Tullymore forest park motorhome parking or alternatively Rostrevor Kilbroney caravan & motorhome park, (Lewis Carroll themed forest) very nice site in another beautiful part of the world...
By then your close to the border for ROI and an hour or so from Dublin, obviously if you don't want to stay at sites there's loads of wild camping spots all along those routes but either way.... Enjoy 🙂

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
After Belfast, continue south along the Ards Penisula, Mourne Mountains to Newcastle follow the coast road to Newry - then head for Omeath to Carlingford where you can overnight at the marina.

Check the Strangford ferry is running before commiting to the coast route.

Last edited:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Take the dogs and get the passports done while you are there, The Antrim coast road is a must and then as Cpt Pal suggests worth doing.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For Belfast there's a m/h service point in the large carpark at Carrickfergus Castle. You could overnight there although we preferred the smaller, supposedly disused carpark, next to the Premier Inn (closed nightclub) which avoids the boy racers. Brewers Fayre next door but a few nice restaurants across the road as well as major supermarkets in walking distance. Don't bother with the castle, cheap but hardly anything there if you're "into" castles etc. For the Titanic Experience there's a carpark a short distance past it on the corner of Queens Road/Hamilton Road which has always had room plus there's a bus stop for the City Tour buses.
Incidentally the Titanic Experience is not just Titanic related, it covers much of Belfast's earlier history as the worlds largest linen producer. If you have mobility problems they have wheelchairs/mobility scooters that can be booked in advance.

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you so much for the help, the Titanic Experience is definitely something we'd like to do, we like the city touring buses as well and making a whole day of Belfast would work really well for us.
I did look at the Gobbins Cliff Path but I wouldn't be able to do it, those steps back up are totally out of my ability right now, if Mark really wanted to do it then I could chill in the van but right now its not an option for me.
We have no intentions right now of going into Europe with our dogs, life is too difficult to arrange with 1 dog being very reactive (loves absolutely everything in the world except other dogs) and the other being very anxious and dependant on me.
It looks as if my itinerary has finally come together, MHF is such a helpful resource to be able to draw on :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
If you intend going to the Giants Causeway, Bushmills Distillery is also worth a visit.
Also, Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge (but some walking and steps are involved so it may not be suitable)
Both of the above are in the same general area.
Some good advice so far - follow the Antrim Coast Road down to Belfast and then Newcastle, Carlingford, Dublin.
There is a another campsite just outside Belfast (Loughshore Caravan Park) which is on a bus route into the City Centre.
This would avoid bringing your motorhome into the city centre if you would prefer not having to worry about parking.
Or alternatively, as already suggested - Dundonald Touring Park.
Carlingford Marina is a great location to stay and an easy drive from there to Dublin.
Have a great trip.

Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Take the dogs and get the passports done while you are there, The Antrim coast road is a must and then as Cpt Pal suggests worth doing.
Is this an option? I’m visiting Angelsey and wondering about getting a pet passport if our first away with dog goes well.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Is this an option? I’m visiting Angelsey and wondering about getting a pet passport if our first away with dog goes well.
I think if you are going from Wales to the Republic you may need an AHC if you go from Scotland to N Ireland no checks at all and just a drive over the boarder again no checks , I have not gone from Wales as its quicker for us to go from Scotland. Someone will have done it on here

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Just read up on it, that's fascinating and looks like its on our route.
I have an oil painting of the Vanishing Lake painted by Irish artist Charles McAuley.
It was given to my late parents as a wedding present in March 1961.
Obviously the lake hadn't vanished when this was painted, but it does vanish quite often.

B2E1E49E-3BC3-4FDC-B6A4-4F5D2AF80FF8_1_201_a.jpeg

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Around strangford always worth a trip. The aquarium in Portaferry and the ferry across to strangford. Castleward on the strangford side and mount Stewart on the peninsula if you like gardens or houses. Grew up around the Lough but never been there in a Moho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
Some good advice already here so won't rehash what has already been said. Sometimes parking can be a bit difficult up on the North Coast but if you can go during the week (and in the morning before the tour buses descend, the Giant's Causeway car park is massive and there are spaces for MHs and good parking helpers to assist -more tricky on weekends or in the summer. The rope bridge is overrated since they tarted it up and made it less scary! If you have mobility issues it is a fair walk to it too so you're not missing much if you don't go. Def do the coast road though -it is beautiful. Not sure what MH you have but parking in Portrush Portstewart can be tricky (esp when sun comes out!) but if you are a National Trust member you can park for free on Portstewart Strand (don't miss that, and Harry's Shack does fab food right on the beach). Definitely get to Belfast and I would recommend a walking tour (some of them don't cover too much ground) one of the best if you are interested in objective political history of the Troubles is DC Tours -very informative and very balanced. And if you are into books then (shameless plug) I have just published a new history of Belfast which is out in paperback in a few weeks time 'Belfast: The History of a City and Its People' (the hard back might still be in the shops) Other books are available!😀 Titanic museum is a great experience -but give yourself 3 hours there at least. Check out the Cathedral Quarter in Belfast -lots of great bars and excellent public art walking tours based there .... for nice towns on the coast Check out Strangford, Ardglass and if you are going to Newcastle then stop in Dundrum at lunchtime and get a carryout from the Squid Shack (gorgeous high end takeaway) and you can eat it overlooking Dundrum Bay at picnic tables and there is a free car park that is usually empty that you cam park the MH in. Parking the MH in Newcastle may be more of a challenge -esp at weekend or if the sun comes out! On the upside car parking is free there -at the moment. If you are into history sites check out Newgrange on the way down to Carlingford around the Boyne Valley area just as you cross the border (you won't know you have crossed till the signs change and roads improve! you can book a tour online but numbers are limited so do book. Easy to park the MH too. Anyway -loads to do and it sounds like you are well set, so have a fantastic trip and may the weather be kind to you!

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Some good advice already here so won't rehash what has already been said. Sometimes parking can be a bit difficult up on the North Coast but if you can go during the week (and in the morning before the tour buses descend, the Giant's Causeway car park is massive and there are spaces for MHs and good parking helpers to assist -more tricky on weekends or in the summer. The rope bridge is overrated since they tarted it up and made it less scary! If you have mobility issues it is a fair walk to it too so you're not missing much if you don't go. Def do the coast road though -it is beautiful. Not sure what MH you have but parking in Portrush Portstewart can be tricky (esp when sun comes out!) but if you are a National Trust member you can park for free on Portstewart Strand (don't miss that, and Harry's Shack does fab food right on the beach). Definitely get to Belfast and I would recommend a walking tour (some of them don't cover too much ground) one of the best if you are interested in objective political history of the Troubles is DC Tours -very informative and very balanced. And if you are into books then (shameless plug) I have just published a new history of Belfast which is out in paperback in a few weeks time 'Belfast: The History of a City and Its People' (the hard back might still be in the shops) Other books are available!😀 Titanic museum is a great experience -but give yourself 3 hours there at least. Check out the Cathedral Quarter in Belfast -lots of great bars and excellent public art walking tours based there .... for nice towns on the coast Check out Strangford, Ardglass and if you are going to Newcastle then stop in Dundrum at lunchtime and get a carryout from the Squid Shack (gorgeous high end takeaway) and you can eat it overlooking Dundrum Bay at picnic tables and there is a free car park that is usually empty that you cam park the MH in. Parking the MH in Newcastle may be more of a challenge -esp at weekend or if the sun comes out! On the upside car parking is free there -at the moment. If you are into history sites check out Newgrange on the way down to Carlingford around the Boyne Valley area just as you cross the border (you won't know you have crossed till the signs change and roads improve! you can book a tour online but numbers are limited so do book. Easy to park the MH too. Anyway -loads to do and it sounds like you are well set, so have a fantastic trip and may the weather be kind to you!
Thanks for that, I'll have a look and see what we can wriggle into our itinerary, I'm rejigging it currently - by careful planning on our part due to not wanting to disrupt son and daughter in law's lives too much with having the dogs, we're only away for one weekend in our 9 night trip and not currently planning to be anywhere where too many people could be a problem.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Dundonald Caravan Park about 15 minis from Titanic Experience. Glider bus in...

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Benone beach between castlerock and Limavady. Stunning views into Co Donegal. Overnighting at the cafe just off the beach permitted

OP
OP
Mark and Mindy

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
Dundonald Caravan Park about 15 minis from Titanic Experiance. Glider bus in...
We're planning on 2 nights here so that we get a full day in Belfast, we saw that we could get a bus into Belfast plus evening food to be found close by.
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Benone beach between castlerock and Limavady. Stunning views into Co Donegal. Overnighting at the cafe just off the beach permitted
Our route will take us past Benone beach as we head for the Mussenden Temple.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back