12v cigarette socket faulty (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 442
Hi All.
Hope somebody with electrical knowledge can help, this problem came to light when I plugged my 12v TV into the socket in the motorhome and the red light in the plug came on but not the TV. When I withdrew the socket and tested It with a multi meter the power was only showing 3.4 v, this plug has been working previously so I.m baffled as to what's gone wrong.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As already mentioned, if the battery is not low (under load) then it is likely a bad connection introducing a resistance at the socket. The battery is always first to be checked and if healthy move to the wiring. That can be a can of worms tracing the wiring in a motorhome

OP
OP
B
Jan 27, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 442
Battery checked 13.7v, and your right about the wiring, disappears behind kitchen units then maybe into the Sargent control box.
Which Is probably to much of a challenge for my talent. Made new connections for the lighter socket Itself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is the 12v socket an original one or an after fit? Was it ever used previously with the TV or something needing less power?

OP
OP
B
Jan 27, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 442
Hello.
The socket Is original and has been fine up to now, made new connections still showing 3.4v with the red led glowing on the plug.
This socket is permanent live and the 12v fuses in the Sargent unit are o/k with green light showing underneath.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Is the earth connection ok ,or could you try a temp. one to eliminate it as being the cause of the voltage loss .
It could also be worth checking that the power supply connection plugs on the rear of your Sargent PSU are all ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Jan 27, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 442
HI Geoffndee.
Tried a different earth still 3.4v
Will try removing the Sargent unit later, mainly to see If that's where the wires go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back