10% upfront on new van ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
hi is it normal for a dealer to ask for 10% when ordering and registering new van i have sent him 1k already now asking for £8 to register it ,,never bought a new one before so not sure if this ok ,,thanks

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I paid a minimal deposit ( I think £1000?). They didn’t ask for any more but it was 4 years ago and things may have changed. Did they give a reason why they needed more money if you have already paid a deposit? Is it refundable if you need to cancel for any reason……? How long is delivery date?

I’m not sure why they would need money to register vehicle if it is in stock for example. If they don’t have it how can they register it?

If it’s a long delivery date and the trader were to go into receivership etc then you may lose your money.

I think I’d be asking why they were asking for this after a deposit was already paid? Other members may have more up to date dealings as to deposits they have paid etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
I paid a minimal deposit ( I think £1000?). They didn’t ask for any more but it was 4 years ago and things may have changed. Did they give a reason why they needed more money if you have already paid a deposit? Is it refundable if you need to cancel for any reason……? How long is delivery date?

I’m not sure why they would need money to register vehicle if it is in stock for example. If they don’t have it how can they register it?

If it’s a long delivery date and the trader were to go into receivership etc then you may lose your money.

I think I’d be asking why they were asking for this after a deposit was already paid? Other members may have more up to date dealings as to deposits they have paid etc.
hi thanks as far as i was aware they have it in stock they said it should not take more than 4 weeks ,,i wait to see if any one else has done this before ,,they said if it doesnt work out for any reason they will refund the money ,,

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
hi thanks as far as i was aware they have it in stock they said it should not take more than 4 weeks ,,i wait to see if any one else has done this before ,,they said if it doesnt work out for any reason they will refund the money ,,
Sounds a bit dodgy. Maybe they need your money to help with a cashflow issue. I'd hang on to your money. They don't need funds to do a registration.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
On last van that was in stock we paid 5k deposit but that covered them to add the extras we negotiated.

On our new one we pick up in a couple of weeks we also paid 5k deposit and I didn't quibble but I know lots on here pay less. But also the dealer is going to fit extras so it covers them as well.

I wouldn't pay extra to register it thats part of their costs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
On last van that was in stock we paid 5k deposit but that covered them to add the extras we negotiated.

On our new one we pick up in a couple of weeks we also paid 5k deposit and I didn't quibble but I know lots on here pay less. But also the dealer is going to fit extras so it covers them as well.

I wouldn't pay extra to register it thats part of their costs.
not getting any extras fitted ,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Any deposit should be put into an Escrow account controlled by a solicitor with strict parameters as to when the funds should be released to the dealer or returned to the depositor.

If the dealer will not agree to such terms do not part with the money, particularly £8,000.
thanks ,,i just said to them i will not pay them ,,after they asked for £1000 over a week ago to register it they called this morning asking for another £8000 to register it ,,they said dont worry this is normal practise ,,?

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If van is in stock, not yet registered, they probably don't want it registered till they can be sure sale won't fall through or then they have a registered van with wrong owner. But, risk is all yours if you pay out too much and I'd suggest £8k is far too much, especially if it's 4 weeks or more away.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Don’t do it… what are they going to say..? We’re not selling it to you if you don’t..🤷🏼‍♂️

Tell them they’ve had £1000 deposit which would cover the registration.. have they never heard of COD..🤔

Doesn’t sound good for any warranty issues in the future does it….😒

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Don’t do it… what are they going to say..? We’re not selling it to you if you don’t..🤷🏼‍♂️

Tell them they’ve had £1000 deposit which would cover the registration.. have they never heard of COD..🤔

Doesn’t sound good for any warranty issues in the future does it….😒
hi just said if they cant register it without the £9k total they asked ,,just return my £1000 and i will keep mine, they said ,,(no problem ) ? looks like i wont be getting my new van ,,:cry:

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I paid 10% for our first new van (only 40K a few years ago)
But they only wanted a grand (Alan kerr) for my last new one 2 years ago.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2023
Rowley Regis, West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
AT F60 on order
Exp
Awaiting delivery of new MH, ordered at NEC Oct 2023
We paid £5k at the NEC in October. We were told it was due in April, still no sign of it, or any notification of any delays. Don Amott are the dealers.

I guess a deposit of that size is money nobody wants to lose by cancelling it, so just ensures a buyer is serious.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rob1234
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
he one we have on order is £120K we have paid a £500 refundable deposit, had 3 new vans in the past never put down more than £1000.

Just remember a deposit should be no more than you are prepared to lose if things go wrong.
thanks lenny was waiting for your answer ,,they have said there happy to proceed with the £1000 deposit ,,? maybee just trying on to see if i would pay ,,?

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
The one we have on order is £120K we have paid a £500 refundable deposit, had 3 new vans in the past never put down more than £1000.

Just remember a deposit should be no more than you are prepared to lose if things go wrong.
In that case I would take the approach of the favourite resident builder and offer a pound a week until it arrives 😀

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
We paid 5k at the NEC last October for a van to be built.
Paid nothing else until we collected it 1st Feb.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Consort ask for £8,500 deposit on a new PVC so that’s about 10%. Not that I was looking of course! Mind you they only seem to be building on preowned Peugots and we’d only be interested in a new Fiat Automatic. I wonder if supplies will ever improve or will these smaller companies go out of business. Not everyone wants a manual. I’d be happy but Nick’s knees wouldn’t cope.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
....... had 3 new vans in the past never put down more than £1000.
However, and just to remind you, look at all the work you need to do to get them finished though! :whistle2:

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
Consort ask for £8,500 deposit on a new PVC so that’s about 10%. Not that I was looking of course! Mind you they only seem to be building on preowned Peugots and we’d only be interested in a new Fiat Automatic. I wonder if supplies will ever improve or will these smaller companies go out of business. Not everyone wants a manual. I’d be happy but Nick’s knees wouldn’t cope.
Devon conversions have a couple of fiat autos available on their website for conversion if any of their layouts suit you.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Devon conversions have a couple of fiat autos available on their website for conversion if any of their layouts suit you.
Thankyou but we have looked at them in the past but the Aztec XL which is on the 6.4 metre LWB has a funny extra bit on the garage which makes the kitchen really small with no worktop otherwise I think we’d be racing up there!

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
thanks ,,i just said to them i will not pay them ,,after they asked for £1000 over a week ago to register it they called this morning asking for another £8000 to register it ,,they said dont worry this is normal practise ,,?
I would them them to find other victims 👍

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back