£75 for a spare key - reasonable? (3 Viewers)

Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Local key cutter says he'll want £75 and access to the van for an hour to cut me a spare ignition key.

McLouis Fusion 331 2021

Reasonable price?

I was hoping to get one for a tenner or so - didn't realise they had chips in them! Bugger!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Paid around £70 for a spare non-fob a couple of years ago to leave at home when we're travelling.
A fob version would have been c£165.
They did require access to the motorhome to "match" to the ecu.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I bought a new fob for my Peugeot 107 because the button plastic was broken and on that you had to remove the chip from the original fob.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Lenny HB Does the non-remote key still do the handshake to take the immobiliser off?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Local key cutter says he'll want £75 and access to the van for an hour to cut me a spare ignition key.

McLouis Fusion 331 2021

Reasonable price?

I was hoping to get one for a tenner or so - didn't realise they had chips in them! Bugger!
that is a decent price.. and as said they need access to the van to match to the ECU

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Go on e bay there are companies that will cut the key for you from a picture, if you are bothered about it being posted to your address use a pick up box cost between £10 and £15

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Go on e bay there are companies that will cut the key for you from a picture, if you are bothered about it being posted to your address use a pick up box cost between £10 and £15
But it needs programing to the ECU.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
But it needs programing to the ECU.
I thought he just wanted a spare key as for release steering etc not driving, there are programable chips from £30 as well so still cheaper but will have to pay to get it matched up

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I thought he just wanted a spare key as for release steering etc not driving, there are programable chips from £30 as well so still cheaper but will have to pay to get it matched up
The blank, with chip, tends to be the cheaper component of the cost with the programming being more expensive. It was in our case.

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023

McLouis Fusion 331 2021

Reasonable price?

They wanted £160 for my old 2008 Honda, so £75 sounds like a bargain to me!

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2023
Bath, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Wincester
Exp
Since Jan 2023

Jesus. They'll be creating false eyeballs for retina scanners soon, just from your Facebook photos ...

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I recently had a non-remote key cut for my wife’s Kia at Timpsons and that was £75. He used a chip reader to clone it to the existing remote, so no need for access to the vehicle.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Recently had one cut for £20 in Chester.
Only works with the Fob though, which has be used separately due to being a different shape. The original key on the fob was lost by the previous owner secreting it on his vehicle.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Jesus. They'll be creating false eyeballs for retina scanners soon, just from your Facebook photos ...
iris scanners maybe but not retina scanners, an iris scan is highly accurate, and whilst most biometric can be forged it is unlikely particularly if matched with another biometric such as the volume of space within your ear or a vein print from you hand.

Upvote 1

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I recently had a non-remote key cut for my wife’s Kia at Timpsons and that was £75. He used a chip reader to clone it to the existing remote, so no need for access to the vehicle.
Wanting to access the vehicle is the worrying bit you can walk in to a car dealer they will make another key and not bother with accessing your vehicle…..it may be a cheap key but…..

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

McLouis Fusion 331 2021

Reasonable price?

Vehicle access for an hour ? Are they scouting your security I’d rather pay a dealer

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wanting to access the vehicle is the worrying bit you can walk in to a car dealer they will make another key and not bother with accessing your vehicle…..it may be a cheap key but…..
I remember I had a new Ford Sierra came with plastic emergency key that would open any ford of that era.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Vehicle access for an hour ? Are they scouting your security I’d rather pay a dealer
It does take them about an hour to check the key / ecu, cut the blank, check it for basic operation (ie unlocks doors, etc), programme to ecu and then recheck full operation.

They also double check original key/s still work effectively.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Our "spare" operates exactly the same as the original FIAT one.

Just been up the van the spare blank key opens the door but the alarm kicks in, which is obvious I suppose. They blank key starts the engine ok if I open with the central locking fob, so for me a remote key is necessary.

In an emergency I think there is a convoluted way of dissabling the Autowatch alarm/immobiliser if needs be.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just been up the van the spare blank key opens the door but the alarm kicks in, which is obvious I suppose. They blank key starts the engine ok if I open with the central locking fob, so for me a remote key is necessary.

In an emergency I think there is a convoluted way of dissabling the Autowatch alarm/immobiliser if needs be.
Apologies Dane as just reread my original response to yourself and I guess you could read as it also disables the alarm. It doesn't when unlocking the doors!

Don't have the non-fob key with me but try unlocking the door with the metal insert key and open the door. This should activate the alarm however if you put the same key in the ignition and turn to "MAR-ON" it should disable the alarm and turning it again should start the engine.

Not ideal as we'd get a call from our tracking folk but .....

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I very much doubt they would do that without showing proof of ownership otherwise any scroat could get one .

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Should add a "remote" key price we got was circa in £150 region from local auto locksmith. He did need access to OBD port and all existing keys so he could wipe then reinitialise the keys and chip.

Given Peugeot wanted £400+ for a remote key + programming, we thought was a bargain.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Apologies Dane as just reread my original response to yourself and I guess you could read as it also disables the alarm. It doesn't when unlocking the doors!

Don't have the non-fob key with me but try unlocking the door with the metal insert key and open the door. This should activate the alarm however if you put the same key in the ignition and turn to "MAR-ON" it should disable the alarm and turning it again should start the engine.

Not ideal as we'd get a call from our tracking folk but .....
That's handy to know for the future, I will give it a go, I hope it works.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back